Problems with Kabola Old Dutch Stove

CharlieTR

Featured Posts

I was wondering if anybody could help me get to the bottom of the problems I am having with my Kabola Old Dutch diesel drip stove.

1. No fuel enters the stove (even when hot) unless the thermocouple override button is pressed. In order to have a sustained fire, I have been keeping the button pressed by jamming a bolt under it.

2. I cannot seem to get a low flame. The regulator control at lowest provides a big yellow flame, at highest it turns the flue glowing red. I have tried adjusting the high flame screw but it doesn't seem to have an effect.

The thermocouple must be broken according to 1. Would this inhibit the performance of the regulator resulting in 2.? 

As I understand it, the bolt-under-the-button thermocouple override, though unsafe, should allow normal operation of the regulator?

Any and all help/advice welcome. I've been troubleshooting this over months.

When was it last serviced? You need a relatively clean pot for efficient operation. 

Having to jam the fuel switch indicates a failed thermocouple, so needs replacing.

If you have been 'adjusting' the high switch, then the only safe way is to recalibrate the float control to the values on the data plate. A lazy yellow flame is indicative of too low a flow which is probably caused by an obstructed metering column. The very high flame is caused by too high a flow, probably because you have over adjusted the high screw.

Use the search function for a very comprehensive fault finding by Cuthound.

These are good small stoves, as said you need a new thermo couple, it sounds as though the end which projects in the burner pot is damaged, this occurs when cleaning the interior of the burner pot is carried out in a clumsy manner.

Fuel Supply - the small copper pipe between the carb and burner pot becomes blocked. Removal and cleaning is needed.

Adjusting the fuel supply screws is a 'no no' unless you know what your are doing, as is over riding the fuel shut off valve.

I find the best way to overhaul mine is to remove it from the boat and take it to my workshop.

Ok, have bought a new thermocouple. Hopefully that narrows down my issues.

I am able to get heat out of the stove but it requires a bit of manual adjustment and monitoring. Not bad for a quick blast but as it gets colder would prefer to have it running safely, cleanly and reliably.

Thanks for the advice will keep you updated.

5 minutes ago, Ex Brummie said:

If you follow this thread back and forth, you should get the answer to your problems. From memory, I don't think Cuthound covers calibration, but all you need is a measuring tube up to 30 cc and a stopwatch. 

You are correct I didn't cover calibration.

When I got my boat the high flame setting was set too high, as the stove was burning with a yellow flame on anything but the lowest setting despite giving the stove a good clean 

I "calibrated" it by turning the high flame screw down a quarter turn, waiting 30 minutes to see the result, then repeating until I got a blue flame in setting 1-4. Note that with the short glued used on narrowboats, it is not really possible to get a blue flame on the highest settings.

I agree measuring fuel flow is more accurate but the above method worked OK for me.

5 hours ago, CharlieTR said:

Ok, new thermocouple fitted and it now seems to be drawing fuel when warm enough. Still a very dirty yellow flame so will give the stove a good clean then try cuthound's calibration.

Disconnect the outlet from the oil control and place a tray beneath it beneath it . Turn the control to low and after a minute or so, catch the flow for 2 mins in a measuring cup available from a chemists. Low fire should be 4cc min, so you should have 8 cc in the cup. Repeat this at High when you should have a min rate of 13cc IIRC. The flow rates should be on the data plate. Once you have reasonable flows, then set about checking your flame You also need to ensure there are no air leaks in the door or around the pot joint. The flue needs to pull all its air through the pot.