Coal Price

mark99

Featured Posts

Yes.

We have just had a delivery at home at this years prices as it was in stock and paid for by our supplier but when MsHN paid our supplier this time he said it will be £2 a bag more when we get our next delivery.

Edit - that is £2 per 50kg bag of smokeless ovoids/briquettes.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

8 hours ago, mark99 said:

Out of interest, is coal price increasing to align with gas etc?

I got a bulk delivery this summer from Mark on Calisto, his supplier was warning that winters coal was likely to jump in price and that was before all this silliness.

Luckily because of the summer delivery I haven't been burnt by a price hike yet

So far seems to be comparable to last winter from our local merchant. They may have stocked up a few months ago though, so we are probably not seeing rises in wholesale prices feeding through yet. How are prices from fuel boats doing? They must restock more frequently I'd have thought.

42 minutes ago, Idle Days said:

I fear domestic inflation will exceed 10% early next year. Price increases now seem to be acceptable so suppliers are taking full advantage.

Alternative reading: Price increases are now inevitable so suppliers have no choice.

We've just had a delivery of Supertherm - same price as last year.

1 hour ago, Idle Days said:

I fear domestic inflation will exceed 10% early next year. Price increases now seem to be acceptable so suppliers are taking full advantage.

Same here. So the burning question is should one sell equities, stay in cash for a year or two and take the inflation hit? Or stay invested, ride it out and and hope the dividends hold up in the meantime? Or something else...

I agree about the price rises. Even if bulk coal prices to the merchants stay level, they will raise prices and blame in on Brexit as people will swallow that in the current climate of all fuel prices going up. 

(So maybe there's my answer - buy the coal merchants!!)

9 minutes ago, MtB said:

Same here. So the burning question is should one sell equities, stay in cash for a year or two and take the inflation hit? Or stay invested, ride it out and and hope the dividends hold up in the meantime? Or something else...

I agree about the price rises. Even if bulk coal prices to the merchants stay level, they will raise prices and blame in on Brexit as people will swallow that in the current climate of all fuel prices going up. 

(So maybe there's my answer - buy the coal merchants!!)

I'm not a financial advisor but I've spent a lot of time thinking along the same lines. I live off savings, I have very little income.

I've kept some cash, bought some physical gold, bought some valuable personal possessions that are not classed by HMRC as investments, along with a smaller amount of crypto currency. I personally wouldn't go anywhere near stocks and shares, I believe they are overpriced and due for a big fall. Commodities might be a good shout though, you can invest in these without taking physical delivery. 

2 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

So far seems to be comparable to last winter from our local merchant. They may have stocked up a few months ago though, so we are probably not seeing rises in wholesale prices feeding through yet. How are prices from fuel boats doing? They must restock more frequently I'd have thought.

I saw a message from Four Counties Fuels saying prices were increasing and they were absorbing some of the increase.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, MtB said:

Something else: leave it to the fund managers, as they usually get it right in the medium to long term.

Of course, it depends on the nature of one's investments. We've been in renewables, sustainable developments and ethical funds for decades.

Footnote to itinerants, whether Celtic or Cheerful: reporting facts isn't virtue signalling, it's a statement, pure and simple.

17 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Footnote to itinerants, whether Celtic or Cheerful: reporting facts isn't virtue signalling, it's a statement, pure and simple.

Well at least you made me chuckle with that addition.

2 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

I was told that magic bean stalk futures are a great investment opportunity.

Sorry yes. Profits of giant proportions are predicted.

A few months ago I bought 1 tonne of welsh anthracite. It was delivered loose in 50kg sacks and the coalman put it on the hardstanding and removed the sacks. I can remember thinking the pile was unimpressive for over £400 quid of coal!     

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, mark99 said:

A few months ago I bought 1 tonne of welsh anthracite. It was delivered loose in 50kg sacks and the coalman put it on the hardstanding and removed the sacks. I can remember thinking the pile was unimpressive for over £400 quid of coal!     

Yeah but anthracite was expensive when we had a coal fire 40odd years ago, buy some cheap rubbish  :)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, tree monkey said:

Yeah but anthracite was expensive when we had a coal fire 40odd years ago, buy some cheap rubbish  :)

Anthracite was always expensive, as the calorific value of the stuff is way higher than cheap rubbish manufactured ovals which are diluted with ash, cement or whatever to increase the weight. AIUI.