Might get through another winter?

Featured Posts

10 minutes ago, Jon57 said:

Think you need to get a better dentist 🤣 what stove is the grate from. 

I think hey are from a Hunter like mine at home. Hunter from home or the Brunel I had on the boat - Brunel every time burning and slumbering wise.

When I found the Hunter would not burn anthracite without adding another fuel, they told me that anthracite is wet, not our stove guv!

Edited by Tony Brooks

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

I think hey are from a Hunter like mine at home. Hunter from home or the Brunel I had on the boat - Brunel every time burning and slumbering wise.

When I found the Hunter would not burn anthracite without adding another fuel, they told me that anthracite is wet, not our stove guv!

A Dunsley Highlander 3. 
Replaced all grill bars today , £57 of eBay 

Just back from pub and the coals are burning lovely. 

8 minutes ago, Laurie Booth said:

I'll check, though they have a bad reputation. I can take the door off so I don't have to take the boat out.

:)

I don't think you need to take the door to a boatyard in particular. There are 'fireplace' shops in most towns and I'd imagine any of those would be able to replace the glass for you, if you take it to one. 

Just now, MtB said:

I don't think you need to take the door to a boatyard in particular. There are 'fireplace' shops in most towns and I'd imagine any of those would be able to replace the glass for you, if you take it to one. 

Good idea, I'll try Stroud where I live

7 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Can you not just get a door glass kit from eBay and DIY? That said, it can be tricky to get the screws out so maybe try that first!

Thanks, I know I'll 'ugger the door etc.

I'm now on the same pontoon as you at the far end.

1 minute ago, Laurie Booth said:

Good idea, I'll try Stroud where I live

Depending on the stove, another idea is to just buy a whole new door from the manu. Then just swap them over and get the old one fixed at your leisure as a spare. 

I did this with my "Boatman" stove rather than spend ages messing about changing the glass, which is rarely a straightforward job. 

11 hours ago, Laurie Booth said:

I'll check, though they have a bad reputation. I can take the door off so I don't have to take the boat out.

Have you been there in the last 10 years after it changed ownership...?

If you can loosen the bolts/screws and remove the glass you can usually order a direct replacement glass (for popular stoves) or measure it and get the glass cut to size. Appreciate this might not help if postage to an address isn't easy for you. Just Google replacement stove glass. 

30 minutes ago, Ianws said:

If you can loosen the bolts/screws and remove the glass you can usually order a direct replacement glass (for popular stoves) or measure it and get the glass cut to size.

I disagree. 

Firstly thats a big "if", which is vanishingly unlikely. Of all the stove doors I've had with broken glass, I've yet to have one where the screws don't snap off, even if you can get a screwdriver into the slots.

Secondly, it isn't ordinary glass, it's "quartz glass" or something like that, and glass merchants don't routinely sell it.

21 minutes ago, MtB said:

I disagree. 

Firstly thats a big "if", which is vanishingly unlikely. Of all the stove doors I've had with broken glass, I've yet to have one where the screws don't snap off, even if you can get a screwdriver into the slots.

Secondly, it isn't ordinary glass, it's "quartz glass" or something like that, and glass merchants don't routinely sell it.

My stove had cracked glass. I managed to undo  the screws. Maybe with wd40, can't remember. Replacement glass was from a stove glass supplier, a google search should take you to some of them and they should supply stove suitable glass. Check their descriptions. I replaced my cracked glass after approx 10 years and it has been fine for the last 5. I did say if about the screws but it worked for me. 

13 hours ago, MtB said:

Depending on the stove, another idea is to just buy a whole new door from the manu. Then just swap them over and get the old one fixed at your leisure as a spare. 

I did this with my "Boatman" stove rather than spend ages messing about changing the glass, which is rarely a straightforward job. 

Good idea, I think my stove is discontinued.

:(

21 minutes ago, Goliath said:

I’ll change it for you, for nowt. 
If you can wait a few weeks. 

It will be great to see you again

34 minutes ago, MtB said:

I disagree. 

My stove had cracked glass. I managed to undo  the screws. Maybe with wd40, can't remember. Replacement glass was from a stove glass supplier, a google search should take you to some of them and they should supply stove suitable glass. Check their descriptions. I replaced my cracked glass after approx 10 years and it has been fine for the last 5. I did say if about the screws but it worked for me. 

I checked my history and we replaced our glass in 2018. It was cut to be stove specific and cost under £25. The glass spec was quoted as - All of our glass is manufactured by Schott Robax, a leading manufacturer in Heat Resistant Glass. The very low thermal expansion of SCHOTT ROBAX® glass-ceramic resists extremely high temperatures of up to 760°

Okay if you can remove the screws but maybe not otherwise. What stove are you looking  to replace the glass for?

Some years ago I needed a replacement glass for my gas boiler. The local heating sypplies merchant said that, due to its age,  replacements  were no longer available, but sold me a piece of heat-resisting glass bigger than the size I needed and my local glazier cut it down to size for me.