Restoration Czech style

magpie patrick

Featured Posts

The commentary is in Czech so I don't know the details, but looking at this clip this is an ambitious plan to restore navigation past a dam on the Vlatava river - Martin Ludgate posted it oon Facebook and I've take it from there. 

A substantial scheme - and one or two curiosities about it. 

https://tn.nova.cz/zpravodajstvi/clanek/442979-na-slapech-vznikne-nejvetsi-lodni-vytah-ve-stredni-evrope?fbclid=IwAR08F5mwtNfP8cMadCwFjhGhwaIniwpzE5ecanNGNeXj1Aavi6klPFf3VeY

Google translation

“The Waterways Directorate has taken the first steps towards the construction of the largest water lift in Central Europe. The unique technique, which will be created in Slapy, will be 45 meters long and its record will carry 300 tons. It will allow large ships to overcome the 55-meter dam of the dam. The Vltava will thus be navigable from Mělník to České Budějovice. The construction will cost 2.5 billion crowns.” 

• Greenie 1

This is the inclined plane built in the 1960s as part of the Orlik dam, slightly higher up the Vlatava, in 1995. The incline for 300 ton boats was not put into operation, but there is one for small pleasure boats alongside. The Czechs have long had the idea of a north-south link from the Danube, and this is ne scheme. The best known is the Oder-Elbe-Danube scheme, for which there was a competition around 1900 to design boat lifts, one being very similar to that now built at Falkirk, though theirs would have been for 1000 ton standard boats.

1995 Vlatava 176.jpg

• Greenie 2

8 hours ago, Pluto said:

This is the inclined plane built in the 1960s as part of the Orlik dam, slightly higher up the Vlatava, in 1995. The incline for 300 ton boats was not put into operation, but there is one for small pleasure boats alongside. The Czechs have long had the idea of a north-south link from the Danube, and this is ne scheme. The best known is the Oder-Elbe-Danube scheme, for which there was a competition around 1900 to design boat lifts, one being very similar to that now built at Falkirk, though theirs would have been for 1000 ton standard boats.

1995 Vlatava 176.jpg

That looks to be one heck of a gradient!

I'm either going to have to give up work or live to about 150 to see everything I want to see... 

3 hours ago, magpie patrick said:

That looks to be one heck of a gradient!

I'm either going to have to give up work or live to about 150 to see everything I want to see... 

This pre-war dam on the Vlatava is pretty impressive as well, with conventional mitre gates at the lower end.

_IGP6899.jpg

• Greenie 1