Grand Union closed Copper mill to Cowley locks, boats sunk!

Dave123

Featured Posts

Reports of a sudden drop in levels in several pounds either side of Harefield marina and sadly some boats have sunk there. Rumours that it was contractors working on river sluices on the Colne somewhere (it flows in and out of the GU here and could explain this, a bit like what happened with the Bath Avon). Other suggestions it's HST works that caused it...Very sad either way!

FB_IMG_1634104846446.jpg

FB_IMG_1634104865403.jpg

FB_IMG_1634104902846.jpg

• Sad 1

I should imagine thats going to lead to a few interesting conversations and some lawyers will be making some money.....not going to help those poor boat owners though..what a horrid thing to happen when you think your boat is safely tucked up in a marina......

7 minutes ago, Quattrodave said:

I'm trying to work out how on earth some boats sank and others didn't??

Im guessing as its a old gravel pit some bits are deeper than others so some boats had one end going aground and the other end dropped with the level until a vent etc went under and down they go....like a cilling in a lock.

Edited by frangar
  • Greenie 1

deleted - beaten to it by frangar

But yes, some are further into the bank, and some will have hull vents that went under if they were moored bow on to the bank

Tam

Edited by Tam & Di

3 minutes ago, Quattrodave said:

I'm trying to work out how on earth some boats sank and others didn't??

1 hour ago, Dave123 said:

Reports of a sudden drop in levels in several pounds either side of Harefield marina and sadly some boats have sunk there. ...

FB_IMG_1634104902846.jpgFrom Dave123's picture, starting with all the boats floating normally, first take all the water away (or most of it) and the boats all dip at the 'front' as we are looking at it. Then put the water back. The boat on the right has its bows down, but not enough to let the new water into the boat. The one to our left of it is lower at the stern (or stuck on the bottom) and the water flows in before it has sufficient buoyancy to float again.

Just a guess, of course and all very sad.

2 hours ago, frangar said:

I should imagine thats going to lead to a few interesting conversations and some lawyers will be making some money.....

I'm not so sure. CRT's terms and conditions absolve them of any liability for this sort of thing, and I imagine the marina operator's Ts and Cs are the same. So the costs will have to be picked up by the boat owners and their insurers.

4 minutes ago, David Mack said:

I'm not so sure. CRT's terms and conditions absolve them of any liability for this sort of thing, and I imagine the marina operator's Ts and Cs are the same. So the costs will have to be picked up by the boat owners and their insurers.

There seems to be internet rumour that it might be 3rd party contractors....I guess thats where the fun starts....not much fun if you only have 3rd party cover for your boat though.

6 minutes ago, Dave123 said:

.. would be interesting to know if claims can be made against a 3rd party if it wasn't CRTs fault.

I can't see why not. There's been no mention of what happened to the water, or if it caused damage elsewhere.

Tam

6 hours ago, PeterScott said:

From Dave123's picture, starting with all the boats floating normally, first take all the water away (or most of it) and the boats all dip at the 'front' as we are looking at it. Then put the water back. The boat on the right has its bows down, but not enough to let the new water into the boat. The one to our left of it is lower at the stern (or stuck on the bottom) and the water flows in before it has sufficient buoyancy to float again.

Thanks for that, i never though of that, being on a river all our pontoons are floating...

13 minutes ago, MrsM said:

Absolutely terrible for the poor owners. As a marina moorer I agree that we assume our boat will be safe and sound when we leave it.

Agreed, terrible for the owners & makes me think twice about how safe the marina actually is....

Tim at WHH tells me that someone wound the paddles up at Denham and padlocked them. Police were called and paddless are sorted. They are now assisting with rasing the sunk craft.

There is obviously a tale to tell in there somewhere.

Tam

Edited by Tam & Di
  • Sad 1
  • Horror 1