Narrowboat versus Kayak

Flyboy

Featured Posts

Narrowboat turning left under a junction bridge can't see the kayaker under the bridge hole. I don't think the Nb. hit the the kayak which capsizes after it's gone on its way. 

Edited by Flyboy

18 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

Narrowboat turning left under a junction bridge can't see the kayaker under the bridge hole

I have that down as idiot on narrow boat on wrong side of channel doesn't give a sound signal at a blind junction and hits the watercraft already in the space.

I'd have had a few short words with the steerer!

We met a couple of paddleboarders messing about in a bridge'ole on the Thames. I did a quick stop (against the flow) and waited till they got out of the way. It took them ages because they were totally oblivious to me approaching. Canoes are a problem (I have only ever sunk one) but paddleboarders are worse. I can not really object to other water users but a little bit of basic training might  be a good idea.

I watched this and can't understand that the narrowboat didn't see the canoeist. He certainly is looking for him when he gets near the bridge. I'd say both at fault. Narrowboater i think did see him but assumed he'd get out the way and canoeist is a little silly to sit there on the narrowest part of the canal watching the boat come at him....

ps this film looks old?

Edited by robtheplod
  • Greenie 1

I'd question what the canoeist was doing, and as a result what he thought was going to happen as a result of his actions.

If I'd been steering the nb, I'd have slowed down sufficiently to let him clear. 

If he just sat there, I'd have slowly approached the bridge and stopped as he had in the bridge 'ole.  I accept that would seem menacing to him, but it would allow me to explain although I'm not a mind reader, I could probably direct him to Specsavers.

That is of course assuming it was a nice day with no wind.  Should it have been blowy then I'd have leaned on my horn and been  a lot more direct in my opinions to him.

I'd best refrain from saying publicly my preferred options if he'd taken a swing at me with his paddle.  But he'd have been able to attend a fancy dress party as a lollipop.

• Greenie 2

No excuse for the canoeist not being able to see the narrowboat in this case, although why the narrowboat steerer didn't see him when he looked down the side remains a mystery. I agree, it is probably staged 

However I don't think canoeists realise how they can be invisible to the steerer of a narrowboat when close to it or directly ahead.

When I was on the Shroppie a couple of years ago I had a canoeist overtake me whilst I was approaching a narrows,

I slowed, looked down the side and began to move towards the bank to give him more room to clear me before the narrows.

Then I heard a shout from the other side. I was about to crush another canoeist against the bank. The idiot had decided to overtake me into a narrowing gap whilst I was checking to see how much clearance I had to his mate.

Rather like some cyclists undertaking trucks on the road, in my opinion they do not take the trouble to learn when they are vulnerable and take responsibility not to put themselves into dangerous positions, but  then blame the other party for not seeing them.

• Greenie 1

Staged? Anything is possible, but I reckon not.

It's more likely the canoeist wanted to get out in the bridge hole and was being bloody minded.

The nb steerer (equally bloody minded?) spotted the bridge was wide, but not that there was an obstruction on the off side.

Either way "paddling man" risked his life because he wanted to assert his equality when it came to bridge holes. 

7 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

Either way "paddling man" risked his life because he wanted to assert his equality when it came to bridge holes. 

He did have right of way there though - he was already in the bridge hole before the narrow boat arrived.

They were both in the wrong, but the narrow boat steerer was wrongest.

• Greenie 1

On 15/10/2021 at 11:48, TheBiscuits said:

He did have right of way there though - he was already in the bridge hole before the narrow boat arrived.

They were both in the wrong, but the narrow boat steerer was wrongest.

Of course we weren't there, nor involved.  And I suppose guesstimating against the confusion of telephoto lens, plus we can't see the narrow boat or its manoeuvres until it's in front of the camera doesn't help any.

So sticking to the known facts ...

Canoeist wobbles around towards the bridge, can he see the narrow boat?  

Regardless of what the nb is doing, our lad sits in the bridge hole for nearly two minutes just gazing at what's coming towards him.

He then keeps up this motionless observation for another minute.  So mainly he's obstructed the navigation, in a narrows and made no effort to clear the way nor broadcast his intentions other than he was taking up residence.

Let's have a butcher's at "The Bargee" ...

It takes him nearly two and a half minutes to get to the bridge, did he see the stationary canoe blocking his passage?  Should he have been expected to realise it was there? Did the canoeist attempt to attract his attention?

He appears flummoxed, loses his concentration, doesn't see the offside bank narrowing the bridge hole even further.

Perhaps he sees the canoeist reversing out of the bridge and decides to continue, who wouldn't?

I agree there is fault on both sides, I think the boater got in a faff when presented with illogical and unpredictable behaviour.

I think the inflatable canoeist might have been on his maiden argument.  He seems to be making the rules up as he goes along and displays little or no understanding of likely repercussions.  And who falls out of a canoe trying to swipe at other users?  A bit embarrassing.

I hope he doesn't use roads that way.

9 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

I think the inflatable canoeist might have been on his maiden argument. 

I thought it was the canoe that was inflatable, an inflatable canoeist having his maiden argument (had he paid for the 5 minute of the full half-hour ?) might explain a lot of the problems.