Jacket potatoes

Slim

Featured Posts

How I bake potatoes on a Squirrel stove. Rub some oil and salt in to the skin. Wrap in tin foil. Place at a front corner of the stove, on embers/ash, but not super active fire. After three quarters of an hour, use the stove tongs to turn the spud over to even out the cooking. Cook for another three quarters of an hour. This is for a medium size spud. Cooks evenly and browns the skin. Adjust time for bigger, or smaller spuds. When removing, I put the potato in a bowl and unwrap the tin foil in that so any ash sticking to the outside of the foil is contained, before transferring the spud to a plate.

• Greenie 4

11 hours ago, nbfiresprite said:

Cast iron pot with a lid on top of the stove (Dutch Oven)

Similar idea, I've done them by wrapping in foil and leaving on top of the stove covered with a pot. Turn them over occasionally.

12 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

How I bake potatoes on a Squirrel stove. Rub some oil and salt in to the skin. Wrap in tin foil. Place at a front corner of the stove, on embers/ash, but not super active fire. After three quarters of an hour, use the stove tongs to turn the spud over to even out the cooking. Cook for another three quarters of an hour. This is for a medium size spud. Cooks evenly and browns the skin. Adjust time for bigger, or smaller spuds. When removing, I put the potato in a bowl and unwrap the tin foil in that so any ash sticking to the outside of the foil is contained, before transferring the spud to a plate.

Berry-in-Wellies!

Thanks for the responses. When it gets a little colder and the stove is stoked up during the day I'll experiment. In the meanwhile I have discovered that you don't wrap one up in  foil, pop it in the ash tray  and forget about it overnight. A tad overdone, looked  just like a nugget of fuel.

14 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

How I bake potatoes on a Squirrel stove. Rub some oil and salt in to the skin. Wrap in tin foil.

What sort of oil? I was wondering if some of this Morris SAE30 Golden Film I have here will be ok.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/10/2021 at 20:14, Slim said:

How does one cook jacket potatoes in a s/f stove (Squirrel). Don't doubt that it's easier in the oven but I fancy giving the fire a try.  

No idea, but if you like fast cooking, just microwave your spuds, (5 to 7 mins for each spud), then brown off in a stainless frying pan. Total time about 15 mins, and no one will know the difference. 

I always use Olive oil, or Peanut oil, cos it's a healthy choice. 

Drifting off topic, I met the crew of a yacht from South Africa that had fully seized their Perkins just after departing from Ascension Island. When I took a look at their engine, they explained that one of their crew had topped up the engine oil with a litre of olive oil by mistake. Alas the good folks in Ascension only had a 50 litre drum of OO, so they decanted some into an empty 10 litre plastic can, which was then placed in the same locker as the engine oil. Same type of can but no label. I love OO, but that Perkins did not, as every single bearing was trashed. They were stuck in Puerto Mogan for years, whilst trying to save up enough money for another engine.

Edited by TNLI

I do lots of cooking in the ashes, but I rake fire, empty coal ashes and fire up logs. 

Spuds, are best eaten with skin on, wood ash only, I have found sausages in foil are easier than frying, I've given up frying, parsnips in foil, OK. 

Depends on heat of stove, currently about to remove a small spud, halved, in foil to have pre prandial, crispy skins, butter infused with a small glass of good red wine. I could live forever on baked potatoes with butter. 

Potatoes come in varieties, supermarket baked are big but no intrinsic flavour. 

Varieties for flavour are King Edward and Golden Wonder (rare) 

Potatoes are the gift from the Gods, hundreds of varieties, only a few available in the shops, sadly. 

Maris Piper make good chips, so can be wrapped in foil after cutting in to wedges, lightly coat in good olive oil, maybe bread crumbs sometimes, in foil..... 40 mins 

Yet to replicate chips,  soak in water to remove starch, dry, maybe salt, then lay out flat on foil, oil, wrap, very hot ashes. 

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1