Engine conversion /Land Rover 200/300tdi

Featured Posts

21 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

But whilst the BSS can comment on their own rules, the RCD / RCR actually states :

” … a conversion of a watercraft which changes the means of propulsion of the watercraft, involves a major engine modification, or alters the watercraft to such an extent that it may not meet the applicable essential safety and environmental requirements laid down in this Directive”.

Changing from diesel to 'leccy' is a change in the means of propulsion, and I'm sure the RCD authorities would rather that a non-involved quango kept their nose out of it.

There is a list of authorised 'bodies' who can make RCD / RCR decisons and do the assessments and C&RT is not on that list.

Dave said because it's a no emissions electric motor it doesn't count on the RCD  it's in the regs

39 minutes ago, gatekrash said:

Whereas my 25 year old 300tdi defender which I've owned from almost new has got 300k miles on it and hasn't missed a beat. Any 300tdi out there is now 23 years old so the serious problems will have been fixed (timing belt issue was a recall for realigned pulleys with shoulders on them).

My mates Td5 however self destructed at less than 50k miles, and I wouldn't touch one with the pole from my roof !

Cheers yes I was aware of the timing belt fix. Mine was fixed thus.

But to be clear it wasn't actually a 'recall' as such in my case as LR made a contribution to the repair which equated to about 50 percent of the cost to fix it from memory. They werent actually recalled you had to contact LR yourself to get it sorted.

The one major issue that I had with my 300tdi Discovery that was fixed completely FOC was the curly dash issue. The top section of the dash would curl up when the glue weakend in the sun. They had to fit a whole new dash to sort that one. I remember when I took mine in to be fixed there was a skip out the back full of Discovery dashes. Again in typically LR style you as the customer had to raise the issue with them because neither were a safety issue, just a quality control one.

LR were forced into agreeing to replace the dasboards after the issue featured on the old BBC Watchdog program.

Screenshot_20211013-003146_Chrome.jpg

Edited by The Happy Nomad

4 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Hence me saying 

Apart from 'vintage craft' I'd suggest that the growth of Fat-Boats in the 12 x 57 sort of size will more than likely have been built in the last 23 years.

I wonder what proportion of canal boats built under the RCD in the last 23 years have remained compliant? Don't most owners skip all that nonsense and just settle for a much less complex and onerous BSS examination/certificate every 4 years. I know I do.

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 1

3 hours ago, blackrose said:

I wonder what proportion of canal boats built under the RCD in the last 23 years have remained compliant? Don't most owners skip all that nonsense and just settle for a much less complex and onerous BSS examination/certificate every 4 years. I know I do.

The RCD is not a renewable inspection like the BSS, it expects the boat owner to keep the boat compliant. This allows those who  counter what Alan says to go on doing it. RCD/RCR only requires a reinspection when work is done that counters the original certification. Alan is only warning about what the consequences MIGHT be.

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, blackrose said:

I wonder what proportion of canal boats built under the RCD in the last 23 years have remained compliant? Don't most owners skip all that nonsense and just settle for a much less complex and onerous BSS examination/certificate every 4 years

That was originally the case, but the 2017 changes to RCD/RCR added the requirement to recertify anything considered a major craft conversion. 

This is a retrospective change so affects any boat which has an RCD - pretty much anything built after 1998 and a few before that.

As Tony rightly says it's only changes to the boat that triggers this requirement - if you don't make any changes it will still be in compliance.

Alan recently pointed out a boat for sale that needed an RCR post construction assessment which was withdrawn from sale until it's been done at a cost of a few grand plus any remedial work needed.

46 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

That was originally the case, but the 2017 changes to RCD/RCR added the requirement to recertify anything considered a major craft conversion. 

This is a retrospective change so affects any boat which has an RCD - pretty much anything built after 1998 and a few before that.

As Tony rightly says it's only changes to the boat that triggers this requirement - if you don't make any changes it will still be in compliance.

Alan recently pointed out a boat for sale that needed an RCR post construction assessment which was withdrawn from sale until it's been done at a cost of a few grand plus any remedial work needed.

It will no doubt hit the market with a 20k rise in price as the seller has now realised its value!

5 minutes ago, peterboat said:

It will no doubt hit the market with a 20k rise in price as the seller has now realised its value!

The seller is quite ill (something I'm sure DIY boat builders never consider might happen when they decide to build outside of the RCD) and she 'must sell'.

She has now handed it over to a broker to arrange for an RCR Surveyor to make a PCA and to arrange any remedial work necessary to make it compliant. They will then undertake the marketing and sale of the boat, which will no doubt be at 'market price'.

• Greenie 1

The BSD3xx is not the smoothest of engines but its problems are solvable.It has a pronounced residual nodding couple at certain speeds and does not lend itself to mounting on flexi-mounts. It is better to remove them and solidly mount the engine using Tico pads between the bearers and full length engine feet. Put a vibration damping water pump/alternator pulley on the front end. Adjust tickover to the manufacturers recommendation, do not run too slowly. Fit a propeller which puts your water speed out of the engines worst vibration period. From memory we use 24" x 13" on a PRM 260 2:1 box. The exhaust note we reduced to a hiss at the stack outlet by using a large expansion chamber upstream of the silencer. It took some time to  decide on these mods.  but they do tame the beast and it has been very tractable for the last 28/30 years. Follow this recipe and you will save yourself a great deal of money. HughC.

• Greenie 1

10 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

But whilst the BSS can comment on their own rules, the RCD / RCR actually states :

” … a conversion of a watercraft which changes the means of propulsion of the watercraft, involves a major engine modification, or alters the watercraft to such an extent that it may not meet the applicable essential safety and environmental requirements laid down in this Directive”.

Changing from diesel to 'leccy' is a change in the means of propulsion, and I'm sure the RCD authorities would rather that a non-involved quango kept their nose out of it.

There is a list of authorised 'bodies' who can make RCD / RCR decisons and do the assessments and C&RT is not on that list.

Does changing an outboard motor require a PCA?