A Kingston man who repeatedly refused to move his two moored river boats has been convicted, the Environment Agency (EA) revealed today (October 11).

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

Kingston man convicted for refusing to move house boats | Surrey Comet

Alistair Trotman, from Kingston, ignored warnings from the Environment Agency that he was reportedly flouting bylaws designed to keep the river safe and clear.

The EA said he broke limits on the time a boat can be moored in place at or near a lock.

The 55-year-old, who represented himself and has consistently denied he did anything wrong, rented out the barges Kupe and Rhythm of River as permanent and temporary accommodation.

The EA said that Trotman placed the former commercial barges "end-to-end in an Environment Agency lay-by at Molesey, one of the busiest locks on the Thames, between October 2018 and the following March".

6 minutes ago, Idle Days said:

Slapped wrist for him?

I doubt it, the EA, unlike C&RT, do regularly use the full force of the laws and by-laws with financial penalties to the maximum the law allows.

From memory the By-Laws are based on a daily basis, so if you are contravening a by-law, every day becomes a new offence and you are fined for each individual offence, it can rack-up to a considerable sum.

I expect we will find out the detail when he is sentenced.

• Greenie 1

55 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

The Law is not very good / powerless at collectin fines etc if there's notrhing available to collect....

That is very true.

Many many years ago we had several cases of sheep-worrying (no............ not that kind.) We eventually tracked the dog back to its home and took the owner to court for the £1000's of damage it had caused.

She pleaded guilty but said it was not her fault, the dog had been locked in the house and had escaped thru a 9" square 'toilet window' - not many full grown Alsations would fit thu, but the Judge felt sorry for her being a single mother, unemployed, Black, and a lesbian confined to a wheel chair and told her she must pay £1 a week.

We received the first payment of £1 and that was it, with her saying "if you want more take me to court again".

• Haha 1
  • Horror 1

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

That is very true.

Many many years ago we had several cases of sheep-worrying (no............ not that kind.) We eventually tracked the dog back to its home and took the owner to court for the £1000's of damage it had caused.

She pleaded guilty but said it was not her fault, the dog had been locked in the house and had escaped thru a 9" square 'toilet window' - not many full grown Alsations would fit thu, but the Judge felt sorry for her being a single mother, unemployed, Black, and a lesbian confined to a wheel chair and told her she must pay £1 a week.

We received the first payment of £1 and that was it, with her saying "if you want more take me to court again".

I am afraid that would make me take the legal alternative to solve that problem. No argument and no not getting paid. I bet the word would soon get around the dog owners.

Just now, Tony Brooks said:

I am afraid that would make me take the legal alternative to solve that problem. No argument and no not getting paid. I bet the word would soon get around the dog owners.

Actually the next time it appeared in our fields, it did not go home.

Cost of solving the problem - about 1/-

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

That is exactly what was alluding to but did not like to say in case it upset the bunny huggers. I wonder if the law requires it to be returned to its owner if known. That would be interesting, but I suspect I would just drop it on the doorstep and bolt.

Edited by Tony Brooks

12 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Yet as I remember you support hunting but I guess that's OK for them to allow the hounds to run riot through fields with livestock in!

15 minutes ago, frangar said:

Yet as I remember you support hunting but I guess that's OK for them to allow the hounds to run riot through fields with livestock in!

Hounds tend to be under control and do not 'run-riot'.

An escaped, uncontrolled dog is a very different situation.

Yes; I remember you are a sab with a threatening behaviour.

The farmer who had  the field behind our house got into trouble some years back after a dog persistently attacked his sheep. He tracked it back to its owners house and shot it in their garden. Can't remember the outcome  but sympathy was certainly with him.

It's all very well saying there are no bad dogs, just bad owners,  but sadly you can't shoot them.

I was just reading my Towpath Talk (first one since the pandemic kicked off) and saw that another Kingston resident - Stephen Crowe - was given a 12 month conditional discharge and ordered to pay £5000 towards the EA's costs and a victim surcharge of £22, for not moving his boat Hope IV from the short-stay Walton on Thames moorings for forever and a day. 

Apparently it was an 85-foot, unpowered boat. Nice.

6 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

That is very true.

My friend shot a dog worrying his stock, holiday makers on a hire cruiser. He reported it to the police. Later the owner went to the police to say the dog was missing, they didn't get much sympathy 

19 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

That is very true.

Really?

13 minutes ago, junior said:

but the Judge felt sorry for her being a single mother, unemployed, Black, and a lesbian confined to a wheel chair and told her she must pay £1 a week.

Really?

Must be true, ticks every possible discrimination box -- what are the odds of that, eh? 😉

• Greenie 1

19 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Gosh - that's shocking.  The judiciary not being heartless.