That's the way to do it!

Midnight

Featured Posts

According to an article on Narrowboatworld the NBTA are calling for boaters to disobey 'No Mooring' restrictions. I suspect many on here think most of their members already disobey all mooring restrictions, but it has to be said this is one boating organisation with clout. According to the NBTA website their campaigning has already made CRT back down over planned 'Safety Zones' (No continuous mooring zones) on the River Lea and they are planning a legal challenge over CRT's Terms and Conditions. Whilst I don't agree with their aims I can't but admire their campaigning. Maybe a good example for those boating associations who support boaters who do wish to travel.

I agree with you.  They forced crt  to back down over so called ‘safety zones’ which was as I understand it was to prevent mooring in particular areas thus allowing rowers to use those areas.  Whilst they thought they had ‘won’ crt have now started errecting ‘no mooring’ signs in those same places.  Last I heard was that apparently the signs were secured with 13mm nuts or in some cases were no longer secured with said nuts😁😁

4 hours ago, Midnight said:

According to the NBTA website their campaigning has already made CRT back down over planned 'Safety Zones' (No continuous mooring zones) on the River Lea

C&RTs reporting suggests different & they have 'backed down' on very little from the original plans - surprise surprise.

This is (apparently) the final decision regarding the placement of the moorings and safety zones :

Water safety zones along Lee Navigation | Canal & River Trust (canalrivertrust.org.uk)

The inititial proposals showed where moorings would be restricted to single narrowbeam or widebeam/double moored boats, but we are initially implementing the existing ‘no mooring’ rules, and will discuss other measures with the new advisory forum we’ll be forming. We understand that some reported a loss of 550 mooring spaces in the initial proposals, the 550 number had been calculated based on all mooring space being double moored and did not include any space between moored boats. Even now, not all space in the Water Safety Zones is or can be double moored, and boats do not moor without some space between them. The 550 lost mooring space figure was an exaggeration that did not reflect the current mooring space nor the proposed moorings space.

Although there will be some restrictions on where boats can moor to ensure that a safe navigation width is maintained, there will still be lots of mooring space.

• In the Broxbourne water safety zone, there will be 1824 metres (5984 ft) of mooring space
  • In the Lower Lee water safety zone, there will be 4529 metres (14,858ft) of mooring space
  • In the Broxbourne Zone this is equivalent to towpath mooring space for over 132 x 65ft boats and in the Lower Lee zone this is equivalent to towpath mooring space for over 411 x 65ft boats.

The average number of boats we sight in the Lower Lee section is 352, maximum sighted 387. The average number of boats we sight in the Broxbourne section is 42, maximum sighted 71.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

• 1 year later...