Leeds & Liverpool breach

TheBiscuits

Featured Posts

The L&L canal has breached between bridges 109 and 110.

The 23 mile pound is about 18" below normal water levels and still dropping.

Wigan, Johnson's Hillock, Blackburn and Barrowford lock flights are closed and being ashed up to try and keep some water in the canal.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices/20805-wigan-flight-to-barrowford-top-lock-leeds-and-liverpool-canal

And we considered turning back at Castlefield last Tuesday after we heard about today's (11 Oct) assisted passage through Eshton.  With the Rochdale through route currently closed again there's only the Huddersfield option open for boaters returning across the Pennines. 'Enough is Enough' (oh that's already been done to death)

2 minutes ago, Midnight said:

And we considered turning back at Castlefield last Tuesday after we heard about today's (11 Oct) assisted passage through Eshton.  With the Rochdale through route currently closed again there's only the Huddersfield option open for boaters returning across the Pennines. 'Enough is Enough' (oh that's already been done to death)

You know the answer.

You will be following the footsteps of many others ...............................

2 hours ago, Midnight said:

Didn't stoppages follow you around on the Nene as well😉

Update on 11/10/2021:

Our teams have been working throughout the night to try and stabilise the significant leak between Bridge 109, New Barn Bridge and Bridge 110, Aspen Bridge, Rishton on the Leeds & Liverpool Canal, unfortunately, during the early hours of this morning the canal bank has breached.

Dams are currently being installed onsite and our teams are organising a method of repair, including pumps to be able to pump water over the affected area to maintain a feed to the lower section of the canal.

To help conserve water in the surrounding areas, the following Lock Flights are closed:

• Barrowford Locks
  • Blackburn Locks
  • Johnsons Hillocks
  • Wigan Flight

A further update will be provided tomorrow afternoon, Tuesday 12 October.

6 hours ago, David Mack said:

Only due to low water on the summit. It will be open again in a day or two.

I hope you are right. However the lockie fella told us United Utilities won't let them have any more water and there's no rain forecast for awhile - his words not mine.

6 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You know the answer.

You will be following the footsteps of many others ...............................

I can't say it hasn't crossed my mind. 

Edited by Midnight

12 minutes ago, Midnight said:

I hope you are right. However the lockie fella told us United Utilities won't let them have any more water and there's no rain forecast for awhile - his words not mine.

I think there is always a supply of water, there has to be. It might be that CRT or United Utilities do not want to increase the flow so will just have to wait till the existing flow rate does its stuff.

7 minutes ago, Psychalist said:

There was nothing in Rishton res before this, so presumably most replacement water has to come from Barrowford and above. Those were already operating at reduced capacity.

The bit of Barrowford visible from the flight was pretty low when we came through.

MP

1 hour ago, dmr said:

I think there is always a supply of water, there has to be. It might be that CRT or United Utilities do not want to increase the flow so will just have to wait till the existing flow rate does its stuff.

Years ago Ray the then Summit lockie told me United Utilities only allow one lock full of water per day. I been that way several times since but following rainy spells and the culvert has been gushing and water pouring over the gates at both ends  On Saturday when we crept across the low pound the culvert had barely a dribble and the level was down almost 3ft. If what I was told is correct the summit will be closed until we get some decent rain cos a lot of lock fulls are required.

5 hours ago, Loddon said:

Didn't stoppages follow you around on the Nene as well😉

'onest guv it weren't me 😛

3 minutes ago, StephenA said:

I wonder how much better the water management would be if the canal was actually dredged rather than being a silted up ditch?

It would have helped the water flow towards the breach more quickly. The increased head from the greater depth would have scoured out a bigger breach. You could argue that not bothering to dredge has helped the current situation. 😀

23 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Wigan, Johnson's Hillock, Blackburn and Barrowford lock flights are closed and being ashed up to try and keep some water in the canal.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices/20805-wigan-flight-to-barrowford-top-lock-leeds-and-liverpool-canal

Ashing-up might be seen as a token gesture looking at the size of the hole.

3 minutes ago, Tacet said:

Ashing-up might be seen as a token gesture looking at the size of the hole.

If they maintained the gates, sills and paddles there would be no need to ash up.   I am always surprised at how well most of the top gates on the T&M Red Bull flight seal, they are exceptionally watertight.