Chicken and egg?

AndyE

Featured Posts

On 12/10/2021 at 12:03, jetzi said:

It's a bit of a matter of opinion, personally I find the dutch barge style much more attractive.

Dutch barge style has nothing to do with minimal tumblehome on the cabin sides. Some real dutch barges have tumblehome others do not. But what all dutch barges have are side decks, which is something you won't have on a Dutch barge style narrowboat. So on a Dutch barge style NB with minimal tumblehome the top of the cabin sides will extend out further in relation to underwater hull sides and will be more prone to bridge strikes.

The rest is as you say, down to personal taste. Personally I'm generally a bit disappointed when I see what I think is a Dutch barge (side on) and then realise it's a Dutch barge style narrowboat.

10 hours ago, blackrose said:

. But what all dutch barges have are side decks, which is something you won't have on a Dutch barge style narrowboat.  

All the Narrowboats of a Dutch barge style that I have seen have had much wider side decks than a Narrowboat gunwale 

• 6 months later...
8 minutes ago, AndyE said:

Haha love it! Great idea though if the height is there. Which I agree at around 6'5" in the centre of the beam is unlikely.

The old warships were under 6' head room.

Maybe we should look backwards into history

Naval Hammocks - Photo Diary and, First Bridge Design?

British Tars, 1740-1790: Hammocks, Bedding, and Where they Slept

hammock-plan-hms-bedford.jpg

The disposition of the crew’s sleeping spaces aboard HMS Bedford, a 74 gun ship of the line, in 1775. Sailors’ hammocks are in blue, the Marines are in red– closer to the officer’s berthing and captain’s cabin. Via the Royal Museums Greenwich.

Edited by Alan de Enfield