A 230v query and a 12v one

starman

Featured Posts

I've decided to install a Victron Easyplus Combi because, as the name says, it's easy to fit and that suits me. Inverter, charger and breaker panel all in one unit. Connect a few cables and off I go.

So the question is: as there is an RCD in the Easyplus do I need to fit another immediately after the shoreline connection? As far as I can see it'll only be protecting about a metre of cable which is already protected by the shoreline breaker.

12v question: on my last boat I fitted  a Smartgauge/Smartbank combo - I know it has its limitations in battery monitoring but it worked for us as we cruise a lot and tend to keep the batteries well topped up. Should I stick with it or go for a Victron BMV monitor and different VSR?

I would suggest that you stay with the Smartguage as long as you understand it will overestimate the state of charge DURING charging, but will soon show the correct reading after stopping. Just don't stop charging as soon as it says 100%

Personally, with the advent of solar and now an inverter charger, I would use a VSR rather than the Smartbank UNLESS the Smartbank can sense and react to solar and shore line charging.

1 hour ago, starman said:

So the question is: as there is an RCD in the Easyplus do I need to fit another immediately after the shoreline connection?

No.

1 hour ago, starman said:

As far as I can see it'll only be protecting about a metre of cable which is already protected by the shoreline breaker.

Yes.

To elaborate. I've got an Easyplus on my boat. This is now 14 years old and will differ from a new one, but I installed it for the reasons you describe, Easy to install. Everything in one (blue) box. If/when it comes time to replace it, I'll be going for separate inverter, charger and consumer unit. I've got more experience now and separates have more redundancy if there is a problem in any one component. For someone in your situation the Easyplus makes sense.

Can't say anything about SmartGauge as I've not used one.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies