Wire wrapped round alternator pulley wheel. Beta 43.

Featured Posts

My domestic alternator belt broke today and in so doing managed to flap around and drag some nearby wires around its pulley. I've got most of them off but there is one very stubbon one wound up very tight between the pulley and the alternator body. Can't get it off at all. Any ideas on how to remove it?

Edited by Alway Swilby

Well the wires won't be much good after that so will probably need the damaged bits cut off and new wire and terminals fitted but getting the old bits off the alt. just needs pliers, hacksaw, screwdrivers and swearing.

10 hours ago, Ronaldo47 said:

Hacksaw blade?

Thanks. To be honest I didn't think of tha! I'll give it a go.

9 hours ago, dmr said:

A bit like rope round the prop?  grab the free end of the wire and turn the alternator backwards???

Have you got the tools to take the alternator pulley off?

The wire is all wrapped around itself and won't pull off in either direction. An no to the tools question. RCR chap who came out didn't have a puller either!

9 hours ago, MtB said:

I'd be far more concerned about how to restore the damaged wiring! 

There were three wires involved, red, green and orange. I know what two of them do and are easily replaced and anyway they don't do important things. I don't know what the green one does or where it comes from and goes to. Futher investigation required.

40 minutes ago, Bee said:

Well the wires won't be much good after that so will probably need the damaged bits cut off and new wire and terminals fitted but getting the old bits off the alt. just needs pliers, hacksaw, screwdrivers and swearing.

I'd tried the pliers and the screwdriver. I will try the hacksaw but I suspect it is the swearing that will do the trick.

Thanks for all the replies.

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

Must be an odd alternator to require a puller to remove the pulley. The usual difficulty is getting the nut undone, then at the worst a couple of screwdrivers will usually shift the pulley.

Beta 43 24v 100 amp. You might be right. It was late on a Saturday afternoon and I suspect RCR chap (sub contractor) had run out of contracted time. 

46 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Ah, but it was RCR. Domestic alternator or the engine one? RCR will not fix any cabin system faults.

As to wires, which engine? someone else may have the same with the same wires and be able to tell you if you give more info.

Domestic alternator. RCR trying not to be involved. The wires are not part of the Beta loom so boat specific.  I know what two of the three do. I'm confident of locating what the third one does.

5 hours ago, Alway Swilby said:

(snip)

There were three wires involved, red, green and orange. I know what two of them do and are easily replaced and anyway they don't do important things. I don't know what the green one does or where it comes from and goes to. Futher investigation required.

(snip)

If it’s a Beta, the engine overheat wire is green. Goes to the sender below the thermostat housing.

7 hours ago, Iain_S said:

If it’s a Beta, the engine overheat wire is green. Goes to the sender below the thermostat housing.

Thanks. I've now checked that and the  overheat wire is still in place on the thermostat housing going away into the engine loom.  It is also a smaller guage than the green wire that was round the pully wheel. 

I have now managed to dig out most of the bits of wiring from behind the pulley but there is a stubborn final bit left. The wheel turns freely so I'm tempted to just leave it there but will have another go in the morning.