Lock parts names

Andrew Denny

Featured Posts

Many thanks. Looks like Paget Tomlinson is my best bet. 

A google search didn't turn up much, tbh, most of them were for beginners or for boaters. 

I was looking for a full technical listing of parts. I had a tour of Stanley Ferry workshops & now I'm writing a piece about it, but I forgot to ask them for a listing when I was there, and won't get to ask them until Monday. 

Thanks for all suggestions, kindly received. 

Andrew 

• Greenie 1

Interesting that the drawing refers to the buttress supporting the lock wall as a "counter sort" (two words). I would have expected "counterfort" (one word). Is that perhaps a local variation, a change in language since Rennie's time, or a direct transcription error?

Collins Dictionary definition:

counterfort in British English

(ˈkaʊntəˌfɔːt  )

NOUN

civil engineering

a strengthening buttress at right angles to a retaining wall, bonded to it to prevent overturning or to increase its bending strength

counterfort in American English

(ˈkauntərˌfɔrt, -ˌfourt)

NOUN

a buttress, esp. one for strengthening a basement wall against the pressure of earth

a cantilevered weight, as in a retaining wall, having the form of a pier built on the side of the material to be retained