Fire bricks

Sanddancer

Featured Posts

May depend on fire make but all the one’s I seen have had some form of fire brick. Just Google your type of fire with the word “firebrick” and if it needs them they will show.

Who is the manufacturer and model of the fire?

Edited by PD1964

AIUI burning wood does not need fire bricks, but when burning solid fuel it does. I don't think the baffle plates has anything to do with it, unless they are sacrificial plates around the inside of the stove carcase.

Is this yet another case of a sales person giving duff information?

9 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Mine does.  It's one of those very rare Morso Squirrels ...

Sorry I assumed because my Aarrow stove with backboiler does not have them and the Aarrow stove without backboiler that we used to have them , then all stoves were the same. Thank you for putting me right

• Unimpressed 1

38 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Mine does.  It's one of those very rare Morso Squirrels ...

Mine too but its a Wenlock (with backboiler). In fact mine has double firebricks to keep the heat down😀

If I use it as a log burner though the destructions do say to remove grate and firebricks.

2 hours ago, Tonka said:

Sorry I assumed because my Aarrow stove with backboiler does not have them and the Aarrow stove without backboiler that we used to have them , then all stoves were the same. Thank you for putting me right

My Aarrow Becton has fire bricks and you just alter the grate pitch for wood/coal, I can see a back boiler stove not needing a rear brick but maybe side bricks. If the OP puts the make/model on it would be easier.

Unless you force a lot of air through a coal fire it won't melt the sides but they will not last very long! just look at the firebars or grate in a stove, bent, cracked, broken, then think what that same heat will do to thin cast iron!

1 hour ago, The Happy Nomad said:

The OP posted this in June and suggested the replacement would be the same.

Firewarm 4 (which personally I've never heard of)

If it is that one a quick user manual search and it has no mention of fire bricks and the fire parts list does not contain any. It does say though if using coal mineral fuel, do not stack higher then the rear burn plate as this could result in damage.

Edited by PD1964

8 minutes ago, Ianws said:

We have a firewarm 4 which has been in use with mainly smokeless fuel for many years. It doesn't have traditional fire bricks. It has thick cast iron bricks at the sides and back with a gap to the actual stove sides. 

Those must be what the chap referred to as baffles, but I could see no mention of them in the parts list for the stove THM linked to. That would make perfect sense as long as they are sacrificial and can be easily replaced..

That's what I have and shown in the picture above. As long as you have the side iron liners with a small gap  between them to the stove sides ( feel round the top of the sides) that's how they are meant to be . And worked fine for me for many years 

• Greenie 1

20 hours ago, Ianws said:

We have a firewarm 4 which has been in use with mainly smokeless fuel for many years. It doesn't have traditional fire bricks. It has thick cast iron bricks at the sides and back with a gap to the actual stove sides. 

Yes that's correct but in my old one I used fire bricks the new one is nearly the same few changes but no bricks came it