Red brand coal

Sanddancer

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

I find that red tends to produce some kind of sticky, acidic film on the meal grate bars as the stove cools.

That's where you were going wrong Tony, ours doesnt cool between mid October and April.

Although I do burn excel now, I did do 5 winters on Winterblaze(Red)

As we don't use much these days we have changed to this.

https://www.homefire.co.uk/ecoal50-25kg-prepacked.html?

Not the cheapest but about the same as Phurnacite which is what we used before.

Looks like it might produce less CO2 than most fuels as amongst other things it's made from olive stones 

4 hours ago, Loddon said:

As we don't use much these days we have changed to this.

Not the cheapest but about the same as Phurnacite which is what we used before.

Looks like it might produce less CO2 than most fuels as amongst other things it's made from olive stones 

Looks very interesting but it's a shame the technical spec appears to have been written by a salesman.

9 minutes ago, MtB said:

Looks very interesting but it's a shame the technical spec appears to have been written by a salesman.

Burns ok and also comes in 10k bags so old men can lift it easily ;)

Found it first in Wickes where it was on offer at £4.50 for 10kg (less my 10% trade discount :) ) so gave it a go, liked it so carried on. Must have a look at the spec.

2 minutes ago, MtB said:

Wickes eh? Excellent. I'll get some and try it, thanks. 

I'm reasonably sure my local fule bote won't be selling it !!

Its gone up to £7 or three 10kg bags for £16 = £4.80 a bag with trade discount.

COSHH sheet enclosed

Coal-Firewood-Logs-Homefire-Ecoal-50-Smokeless-Coal-10-Kg-Bag_C1856_151160_COSHH_0.pdf

9 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Its gone up to £7 or three 10kg bags for £16 = £4.80 a bag with trade discount.

COSHH sheet enclosed

Coal-Firewood-Logs-Homefire-Ecoal-50-Smokeless-Coal-10-Kg-Bag_C1856_151160_COSHH_0.pdf 96.77 kB · 1 download

Fanx!

I was really after calorific value or some indication of the heat energy of the stuff!

5 minutes ago, MtB said:

I was really after calorific value or some indication of the heat energy of the stuff!

Can't give you the figures, but I'd recommend trying it.  It burns prettily - a much livelier flame than most smokeless fuels.  I'll probably get some more just for that reason, for those dull winter days when I just want to sit there and watch the fire burn, but it's got a good heat output too as you'd expect from coal soaked in olive oil ;)

That price isn't bad either - it was £15 for 3 bags last year so an extra quid is cheaper than I was expecting.

Just now, TheBiscuits said:

Can't give you the figures, but I'd recommend trying it.  It burns prettily - a much livelier flame than most smokeless fuels.  I'll probably get some more just for that reason, for those dull winter days when I just want to sit there and watch the fire burn, but it's got a good heat output too as you'd expect from coal soaked in olive oil ;)

That price isn't bad either - it was £15 for 3 bags last year so an extra quid is cheaper than I was expecting.

Deffly will, DMR recommended it too a while back too. I'll still try it tho, lol! 

41 minutes ago, MtB said:

Deffly will, DMR recommended it too a while back too. I'll still try it tho, lol! 

and if you get the quantity just right its free delivery, or at least it was last year.

It is just possible to buy enough to get over the free deliver £££ threshold without exceeding the "needs big lorry" weight threshold.

10 hours ago, dmr said:

It is just possible to buy enough to get over the free deliver £££ threshold without exceeding the "needs big lorry" weight threshold

It's trivial, not just about possible unless I'm missing something.

Wickes free delivery is over £75 spend, HIAB delivery is weight over 375kg.

15 10kg bags of ecoal50 is 150kg and £80 at 3 for £16.

At the upper limit 36 bags would be 360kg and £192.

18 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

It's trivial, not just about possible unless I'm missing something.

Wickes free delivery is over £75 spend, HIAB delivery is weight over 375kg.

15 10kg bags of ecoal50 is 150kg and £80 at 3 for £16.

At the upper limit 36 bags would be 360kg and £192.

I struggled, I think their website does not obey those published rules, the weight limit kicks in well below 375. I had to put in various amounts till I found one that worked.

Its all silly because Hi-abs are not involved in coal deliveries, its just two self employed blokes with a transit type van so a few extra bags of coal really doesn't matter.

These two blokes  were probably recentl immigrants from the plains of India who had never seen a hill before so flatly refused to drive up the hill, they unloaded at a roadside bench and I had to do the uphill bit with several wheelbarrow trips 😀.

2 minutes ago, dmr said:

I struggled, I think their website does not obey those published rules, the weight limit kicks in well below 375. I had to put in various amounts till I found one that worked.

Its all silly because Hi-abs are not involved in coal deliveries, its just two self employed blokes with a transit type van so a few extra bags of coal really doesn't matter.

Maybe they have changed it this year - I've just had a play on the Wickes website and it seems to be letting me add considerably over 375kg for free delivery.

I'd stick to the between 15 and 36 bags per order though as I don't trust these newfangled websites ...

I get 10KG bags of Brazier from ''The Range'' at £3.99 a bag, same stuff as the old Multiheat. The price was still the same, a week ago.  I've been picking up a few bags throughout the summer each time I'm down that way, and am well stocked. Harlow branch, not certain if all branches sell it. Better than the Wicke's stuff and cheaper.

1 minute ago, Loddon said:

Ecocoal is  not Wickes stuff it's Homefire.

stuff😟

10 X 25kg bags free delivery

Their delivery is interesting it takes a week or so from ordering😉

It's slightly cheaper from Wickes in the smaller bags though.

The 3 for £16 deal is 53.3 p per kg with free delivery at 15 bags

You're paying £14.35 at the 10 bag rate for 25kg, which is 57.4 p per kg.