First Timers - Stockton to Market Bosworth - Any Advice?

thepomandozzy

Featured Posts

First time on a narrowboat next week and cannot wait, hiring from Kate Boats and planning to go from Stockton base up to the Ashby and back. Chose this route as there are less locks so we get a gentle introduction to them. I have heard the Ashby is very shallow and mooring is difficult? Is this the case. 

Advice would be great for dog friendly pubs on the way and best mooring spots, based on the canal plan website it looks like we need to do around 7 1/2 hours of cruising a day so not sure if we will actually get to Market Bosworth. 

The Ashby is relative shallow, but you will have no problems so you don’t need to really consider that in your planning.

If you make Braunston your first nights stop, you can walk up the locks to the Admiral Nelson.

The Greyhound at Hawkesbury is a must visit pub, not least for its history.

I went up the Ashby for the 5th time this summer. I have never had any issues with it being shallow and always find there are plenty of places to moor. We always ensure we have sufficient time to go all the way (from a marina below Calcutt locks) to Snarestone as, in our opinion, the Ashby gets nicer the further you go.

You won't have time to do it all without doing ridiculously long days so I suggest you regard this trip as a taster of a bit of the Ashby and, if you like it,  hire from somewhere closer next time so you can do it all.

Ahh the myth of the Ashby being shallow. Needs perpetuating , to keep people away.
There are shallow bits, there are slow bits but owning one of the deepest boats built for the canals and having just come back from it on end of summer levels (4” off weir), It is fine.

Just don’t make the mistake of  timing for 4 mph. We average less than 1 mph in odd places, and have to stop to let other boats past.

Walk from the end, it’s such a nice area we bought a flat overlooking the canal for when we cannot boat any more.

Lots of people moan about it. I take great pleasure in informing them that in our time on the cut there were regular coal boats on it, and we are maintaining a tradition of wearing out the bottoms of a town class by using it!

when they moan about us going slow the  only reason they can use it is the above.

Not to mention the work of the ACS. 

Just now, jake_crew said:

An interior shot of the Greyhound.  Very welcome on a wet afternoon a few weeks ago.

greyhound 1.jpg

We had dinner (and plenty of beer) sitting at the exact table that picture was taken from... 🙂

On 07/10/2021 at 17:51, roland elsdon said:

Ahh the myth of the Ashby being shallow. Needs perpetuating , to keep people away.
There are shallow bits, there are slow bits but owning one of the deepest boats built for the canals and having just come back from it on end of summer levels (4” off weir), It is fine.

Just don’t make the mistake of  timing for 4 mph. We average less than 1 mph in odd places, and have to stop to let other boats past.

Indeed. Been up to the end on Fulbourne, which draws 3 ft, a couple of weeks ago. You can't go fast, but you can happily potter along at little over tickover, and my phone GPS app reckoned we were doing 2.6-2.7 mph on the straight bits, although less on bends and through bridgeholes.

Having great time do think canalplan is over egging the daily distances though or I’m slow 🙂. 9-4 today with hour lunch done 11 miles tbh it’s enough for me too looks like we will get to the greyhound before turning around and heading Back still it’s the journey that counts and everyone has been so friendly to us newbies.