PRM 150

Maffi

Featured Posts

I just got back from a few weeks away. During my trip I experienced a weird noise from my gearbox. At about 1700rpm it it made a sound like a highspeed football rattle, which disappeared when the revs were backed off.

Increasing the revs again allows trouble free cruising for anything up to an hour. It must have happened about 20 or 30 times from Kate Boats to Wigram's Turn, but the last leg from Braunston to Banbury it only happened once just coming out of Braunston. So it is intermittent and very irregular, but nonetheless disturbing to hear.

The Gearbox has done about 16,000 hours since installed. Never so much as hiccupped with the exception of a clutch change about 5 years ago when, on putting it in neutral, the prop shaft continued to turn very slowly.

Now I have actually taken the Box out of the boat to get it serviced and am having trouble finding someone that services 150s close to Banbury, but upon reading some comments here and other places I am not so sure it needs such a costly service. I would like to hear anyone's comments on this situation. Should I go for the service or just do an 'oil change' which seems to be the favourite recourse.

Edited by Lord Maffi of Oxford

20 minutes ago, Maffi said:

New 5 years ago when they took the gearbox out to replace the clutch. Engineer said it needed changing RCR said it will last a few more months. I bit the bullet and got a new one. 

Yes, but how many hours? My money is on the driveplate

39 minutes ago, Maffi said:

New 5 years ago when they took the gearbox out to replace the clutch. Engineer said it needed changing RCR said it will last a few more months. I bit the bullet and got a new one. 

Given you are well known for actually moving your boat the length of time ago that it was done is pretty irrelevant. How many miles have you travelled in those five years?

24 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Given you are well known for actually moving your boat the length of time ago that it was done is pretty irrelevant. How many miles have you travelled in those five years?

Couple of thousand or more. Sort of 600 a year but I have been moored up at Tooley's for nigh on two years.

Ok I have had a look at the Drive Plate and the central disc has a good 1/4 inch rotational movement without much effort. and an 1/8th or more side to side. Looks like a new drive plate then!
Thank you guys for your help. Saved me a few bob there.

8 minutes ago, Maffi said:

Ok I have had a look at the Drive Plate and the central disc has a good 1/4 inch rotational movement without much effort. and an 1/8th or more side to side. Looks like a new drive plate then!
Thank you guys for your help. Saved me a few bob there.

From your initial description of the noise it sounded very much like a disintegtrating drive plate. Left uninterupted they can carry on for quite a long time - mine lasted for a couple of years, but it fell apart when removed!  However, as you have removed it, it may not survive being re-installed for long.

• 2 weeks later...