About to repaint the hull and bum - what do you use?

Featured Posts

Every two years I paint the bottom and sides of my wide-beam narrow boat . Last time I painted the bits which get wet using Rylard Rytex Bodied Bituminous Coating.

Recently I keep seeing on youtube boaters making videos about using 2 pack poly paint. Should I be using this first, and then top up with the Rytex? 

Just trying to get the hull and bum to last as long as possible. On the Leeds & Liverpool canal which isn't very deep. :(

Thanks in advance. 

PS: I'm actually required to paint this often (MCA friends insist - LOL). 

1 hour ago, canalboat77 said:

Recently I keep seeing on youtube boaters making videos about using 2 pack poly paint. Should I be using this first, and then top up with the Rytex? 

If you 2 pack, then overcoat with Rytex or other bitumen, you won't be able to 2 pack again without cleaning off all the bitumen.  Better to stick to one or the other.

• Greenie 1

The only way to use 2-pack on a previously bitumened boat is to have the hull grit blasted back to bare metal.  All other methods will fail in short order, and be a complete waste of money.

Bod

Before you apply two-pack, you need to get the boat shot blasted. Otherwise your expensive paint is relying on the bond betwixt steel and original bitumen.  That is not a Good Thing.

After blasting and two pack within 4 hours, you can have a look at it every 4-5 years and touch up any mechanically damaged parts after a good pressure wash.

N.

Two pack is better than bitumen in that it hopefully lasts longer and is the product of choice but if you haul your boat out every couple of years then I would not worry too much about using bitumen. Anyway most new boats leave the builders with a thin and cosmetic coat of black something or other that needs removing before using epoxy.  (Not impressed with most builders!)