Diesel Prices

ditchcrawler

Featured Posts

I have used this website for the last couple of years but not sent them any prices. Have swapped the bookmark on my phone and emailed them today with my last fill price paid. Will make sure I do this from now on. 

• Greenie 1

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't been following since the fuel crisis - what's a good price for diesel per litre in this climate? Some places that are listed as 70p /litre (which I'd consider a good price) on the spreadsheet are now around 90p. Is that the new good price?

Its a great effort so not knocking it, but unfortunately the spreadsheet is kind of too out of date to give that sort of overall picture.

I know some folks get red diesel delivered but seeing as I can only store around 250 litres I'm guessing this isn't an option for me.

39 minutes ago, jetzi said:

I know some folks get red diesel delivered but seeing as I can only store around 250 litres I'm guessing this isn't an option for me.

Many suppliers will deliver 205 litre barrels, or a minimum of 500 litres 'loose'

Edit to add one barrel supplier Red Diesel Suppliers - Nationwide Gas Oil Deliveries | Speedy Fuels

Just google 'barrels of red diesel' to get dozens of hits.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

If this is for propulsion use, then doesn't the supplier have to be authorised to deal in marine fuel, and to have systems in place to charge you the duty on the propulsion proportion of the fuel? I'm not sure that many land based fuel merchants can do this.

I doubt it...

Anyone can buy MGO from a distributor - it's  only when 'you'  are registered as a reseller that reocrds and acting with a modicum of 'due diligence' apply.

IMO the whole mess was wished upon the UK as 'that lot in BXL' made a stink about British Boats navigating 'the sleeve' and using cheaperfuel than the EU chaps....

HMRC were Peed off as the potential extra revenue gained was far less than the costs of policing it.

To answer the question, all the seller has to do is to maintain a record of sales with an customer declaration - it's then up to HMRC to follow up any obvious (LARGE) abuse  of the 'concession'.

2 hours ago, OldGoat said:

I doubt it...

Anyone can buy MGO from a distributor - it's  only when 'you'  are registered as a reseller that reocrds and acting with a modicum of 'due diligence' apply.

IMO the whole mess was wished upon the UK as 'that lot in BXL' made a stink about British Boats navigating 'the sleeve' and using cheaperfuel than the EU chaps....

HMRC were Peed off as the potential extra revenue gained was far less than the costs of policing it.

To answer the question, all the seller has to do is to maintain a record of sales with an customer declaration - it's then up to HMRC to follow up any obvious (LARGE) abuse  of the 'concession'.

Just looked it up. Sellers of marine diesel must notify HMRC.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/fuel-used-in-private-pleasure-craft-and-for-private-pleasure-flying-excise-notice-554

3. Suppliers of diesel for use in private pleasure craft in Great Britain

3.1 Registration

As rebated diesel is a controlled oil, all suppliers must be a registered dealer in controlled oil. Not all registered dealers supply fuel for use by private pleasure craft, but if you do (or will), you must tell HMRC. Registered dealers who supply rebated diesel, biodiesel or bioblend to private pleasure craft must be registered with HMRC in order to charge and collect the duty, and to receive a payment return.

If you’re registering as a new dealer, you’ll be asked to declare on the registration form if you supply rebated fuels to private pleasure craft.

If you start supplying to private pleasure craft after you’ve registered, you must notify us in writing.

HMRC will send you a new registered dealer in controlled oil registration certificate, showing that you’re a supplier of fuel to private pleasure craft. You’ll also receive a payment return towards the end of the accounting period (see paragraph 5.1).

35 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

My heating oil has gone from 42 to 62p in two months

@MartynG said :  I dare say it has . But 42p was abnormally low was it not? But you have quoted prices for diesel not Kerosene

That is the problem when you look at average prices, some are considerably lower, whilst some folks don't phone around don't 'play the game' and just accept 'market' prices.

For Kero :

I paid 38.45p Feb 2021 and just paid 51.9p this week.

Same supplier and both deliveries for 1500 litres.

I had one supplier who would not give me a price for this weeks delivery saying the pricing was too volatile and they would give me a price on the morning of delivery once the tanker was loaded, when pushed, they said it would be well over the 60p mark. They showed no concern when I told them I had a 'fixed price' quoted of the 51.9p

Edited by Alan de Enfield

28 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Okay here the home heating oil chart for the same 2 years 

Those prices include VAT so my 38.5p (exc VAT) in February was about the average.

The chart doe not go to 20th October but was starting to show a fall in September.

The prices I was quoted for 1500 litres (exc VAT)  were :

60p +

58.45p

58.65p

And my most frequent supplier (you can seee why)

51.9p

Boiler Juice were quoting 70p for delivery sometime within 2 weeks and 63.85p for delivery sometime within 3 weeks.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

109.2p/l for 5000 litres

That'll be the agricultural rebated rate (the same as boat 'domestic' rate) Propulsion rate will be 46.81p'l higher,

Including VAT?