Walkers of Rickmans worth "Small ricky" drawings

Featured Posts

49 minutes ago, dave moore said:

Last year I was made aware of another significant archive from a now deceased enthusiast. He indicated that he would wish CRT to curate this. Their response was that monies would have to be paid to offset curation costs. Amazing!

But curating costs, and CRT have been criticised in the past for inaccurate captions on photos, 'lost' exhibits etc. so are probably short of suitably qualified/knowledgeable resources in this area. If CRT doesn't have the funds for curating, then either the donated material needs to come with some cash, or someone else needs to pay, or the donation is declined. In the same way the National Trust no longer accepts properties unless they come with an endowment to fund ongoing maintenance.

Unfortunate, because we would all like to see these resources available, but I have some sympathy with CRT's position.

• Greenie 1

8 hours ago, Tam & Di said:

I have quite a few drawings from various sources - I'll try to find time to dig them out. As I'm stuck in Twickenham for a few months it's probably time for me to get rid of a lot of other stuff such a guaging rods, cans, windlasses etc too. 🤷‍♂️

Tam

Should the drawings happen to include anything Big Ricky, tug or ice boat related that would be of particular interest.

7 hours ago, max's son said:

I gave him dad's slide collection not long before he died, hope these have been given to a good end user with Laurences collection and not just thrown in a corner, dad was also against giving them to a museum even though he had worked at Avoncroft and The BCLM 

I hope so too, as I would like to see them. Max sent me a CD of images he thought I might find interesting (and he was quite correct!) but I'm sure there must be many more.

It's tricky with archives. Think of the number of other objects which have gone to Ellesmere Port, deteriorated to the point of no return and eventually been disposed of, so there is a real cost. Archive material such as photographs and papers can at least be digitised and stored fairly easily as the digital version without fear of loss, and in reality without requiring much storage space. It does take time and effort, but not too much skill - it's an ideal job for a volunteer.

I currently have various objects and documents which came into my possession through roundabout means but do not belong to me. I suppose I am technically a fence, but if I didn't have them they would have gone in a skip. I do keep an ear to the ground and will happily return them if there is ever any interest from the parties which own them, but at present they would still go straight in the skip. One such item is a photocopy of the original 1858 BCN Boat List which, since the original went missing in the early 1980s, is probably the only remaining copy.

What is difficult is finding a way to make information generally available - my view is largely the polar opposite of that which Laurence Hogg held, in that I would rather see historic documents and photographs on open access so far as is possible, whereas Laurence firmly believed in their commercial value. We had some exchanges on the subject, particularly when I had copies of some documents over which he claimed copyright but in fact we had both copied the same original (out of copyright) source.

Alec

• Greenie 2

9 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

I had never heard of a housed birdsmouth joint, but recognised the profile immediately when I looked it up, I must have cut dozens in my time but never knew the correct name.

I thought you might like this (I did - my rafter to ridge beam joints came from a combination of Fig9 and Fig10 on page 37):

https://www.ncptt.nps.gov/wp-content/uploads/2004-08.pdf

Alec

On 07/01/2022 at 18:33, Mr Lister said:

I can quite happily reassure you that CRT are not planning to "Break up" Ariel. That is just another unfortunate rumour in circulation at the moment.

I shall dispel a few of those rumours soon.

Ariel is moored at long Buckby VM moorings where she unfortunately sank after a someone stole the bilge pump battery's from the bow and stern, while I was dealing with Hesperus at the drydock.

Ariel is due in drydock soon where she will undergo a complete inspection and a long term plan drawn up for her overhaul, Hesperus, Is having new Bow knees made along with a stem post and I am currently sourcing the oak for the planking for the bow on her.

Mr Lister

As someone who is not totally up on these things, Ben, can you explain how you can make a stem post when the boat is not out of the water, and how you can make new knees if you intend to reprofile the lines of the bow without removal of the old planks and careful spiling to get the new shape?

• Greenie 2

10 hours ago, stagedamager said:

As someone who is not totally up on these things, Ben, can you explain how you can make a stem post when the boat is not out of the water, and how you can make new knees if you intend to reprofile the lines of the bow without removal of the old planks and careful spiling to get the new shape?

Sure not a problem.

I have access to a piece of land next to the canal where the boats are able to be slipped in and out at will with a couple of tirfor winch blocks.

As for making new knees I have access to a near on original Little Ricky boat and have made hardboard templates of the knees for both bow and stern for the butty and I have managed to borrow an old original stem post to make a template from.

Thank you to everyone who has shared information im reading with interest.

Mr L

• Greenie 1

On 09/01/2022 at 20:50, agg221 said:

I thought you might like this (I did - my rafter to ridge beam joints came from a combination of Fig9 and Fig10 on page 37):

https://www.ncptt.nps.gov/wp-content/uploads/2004-08.pdf

Alec

Yes a very intersting book. The joints on page 37 look familiar, in fact I am almost certain that a timber framed house extension on the outskirts of our village is being constructed in a similar fashion. I have not been able to get out over the last few days, as I have not been very well (all the symptoms of Covid, but no positive test results!) When I have recovered I will take a few photos, assuming the owner, who is also the Timber Framer has not already got the roof on.

On 10/01/2022 at 08:58, stagedamager said:

Where are you taking them for the work?

Keep an eye on the leading profile of the stem Post that you don't need to reprofile the stem iron.....

I have a piece of land next to the canal at Little Bourton that I intend to construct a Side slip and a possible undercover work space, it is basicly un-farmable land that the farmer has rented to me on a long term basis for the duration of both boats being over hauled and possibly to also be a base for both to operate from.

I have got a template of the line for the stem iron and have compaired it to the stem template I have made and some minor alterations are needed to the stem iron, notably its been welded back together at one point and its also badly bent in a couple of places, Lucky for me I know a very good blacksmith who can sort these out for me and also repair the other iron work.

I am also pleased to announce that plans are inplace to move Ariel and she will be recovered in three weeks time floated and moved to her mooring at Cropredy, behind Hesperus.

Mr L

1 hour ago, roland elsdon said:

Good luck ( and I am not being ironic). If you can pull the huge task of restoration of these historic boats off, the canal will be a better place.

Our old little woolwich  butty is at Cropredy every time we pass by there is a little tear.

The wooden cabin which was new in 1979 is still looking good.

Fingers crossed.

Good planning is in place and a large amount of research and detail is being done to ensure accurate restorations are done.

Mr L

• Greenie 1

• 11 months later...
  • 10 months later...