Jump to content

Shower pump out very slow


Featured Posts

Hi CWDF,

 

(New boater here, please excuse not knowing right terminology etc)

 

I've got a Par Max 3 shower pump out pumping out the shower and hand basin and the water literally dribbles out. It's got a Pumpgard filter before it which I've checked and is clear and as far as I know the pipe from that comes directly from the shower tray and the pipe from the pump goes directly out (the outlet is maybe 50cm above the pump if that makes any difference to anything)

 

Next thing I think I should do is check pipes for blockages and check that inlet pipes are secure so air can't get sucked in. Is that right? If so are there any tricks and ways to do that without disconnecting all the hoses? And for the outlet hose I guess that must be full of water, any tricks to emptying that before I disconnect from the pump?

 

Thanks!

 

J

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

You say show and washbasin, is the pump in a sort of tank

Nope pump and strainer are mounted on the floor next to the shower tray.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some shower drain pumps tend to get gunged up with hair, soap residue and evil slime that only grows at night on a full moon. So yes I think you are on the right lines, check pipes and filters aren't blocked by the horrid gloop. As to disconnecting the pipes, just have washing up bowl in position to collect the water - after all, there won’t be much volume of it.

 

The best pump for shower drain is a Whale Gulper, so if you do need to get a new pump, get one of those,

Edited by nicknorman
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, nicknorman said:

Some shower drain pumps tend to get gunged up with hair, soap residue and evil slime that only grows at night on a full moon. So yes I think you are on the right lines, check pipes and filters aren't blocked by the horrid gloop. As to disconnecting the pipes, just have washing up bowl in position to collect the water - after all, there won’t be much volume of it.

 

The best pump for shower drain is a Whale Gulper, so if you do need to get a new pumpout, get one of those,

 

Pipe from the outlet to the pump is going to have a good few cupfulls of water, as is the pipe from the shower tray to the strainer, and they're both terminated quite close to the floor so I was hoping for some magic tips to magic away the water 😉 But I'll just figure out how to either unmount the pump/strainer so I can get a bowl under them or just use loads of towels or something to soak up the leaks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, james2 said:

 

Pipe from the outlet to the pump is going to have a good few cupfulls of water, as is the pipe from the shower tray to the strainer, and they're both terminated quite close to the floor so I was hoping for some magic tips to magic away the water 😉 But I'll just figure out how to either unmount the pump/strainer so I can get a bowl under them or just use loads of towels or something to soak up the leaks.

Disposable nappies are quite good for soaking up lots of water.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, james2 said:

 

Nothing, the basin does drain into the shower.

Then I would expect the pump to suck air. Try pumping the shower with a plug in the sink

24 minutes ago, james2 said:

Nope pump and strainer are mounted on the floor next to the shower tray.

So what stops the basin draining into the shower

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It seems that pump is just like a domestic water pump, with multiple small pumping chambers and small valves. Even with a strainer, it is just asking for hair problems with valves not sealing and thus no or reduced pumping.

 

Personally I would try to drain the basin straight out through the hull by gravity and fit a gulper for the shower.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We had the same shower pump setup on our current boat. It lasted all of 6-8 weeks before we got sick of cleaning it out every week or 2 and replaced it with a gulper! That was over 4 years ago and not touched it since.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

This does sound like an odd set up.  Presumably the basin is above the canal level, so why doesn't it drain straight out into the canal?

 

One reason is that it may be difficult to get the height above the waterline required for hire boats, but I think one of those yuppy basins stood on top of the work surface should solve that problem.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Why would anyone use a fresh water pump to pump waste water, soap, hair and heaven knows what else?

 

I checked online and have come across the problems with it before. It is sold as a shower cum bilge pump.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Tony Brooks said:

 

I checked online and have come across the problems with it before. It is sold as a shower cum bilge pump.

Never knew that.  Thank you for the info.

A pump with small plastic valves does not inspire any confidence in its long term reliability as a shower pump, may be better as a bilge pump but then it will often have grease to cope with.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Tracy D'arth said:

Never knew that.  Thank you for the info.

A pump with small plastic valves does not inspire any confidence in its long term reliability as a shower pump, may be better as a bilge pump but then it will often have grease to cope with.

#the whole idea of those pumps is bl@@dy silly in my view, still I am sure they are cheaper than a Gulper.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Then I would expect the pump to suck air. Try pumping the shower with a plug in the sink

So what stops the basin draining into the shower

 

Yep I think this is exactly what's happening! Happened to mention to previous occupant and they said they plugged the sink to make it go faster.

 

Thanks ditchcrawler and all I'll look at rerouting the sink so the pump will pump directly from the shower.

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

 

I checked online and have come across the problems with it before. It is sold as a shower cum bilge pump.

 

Yep it's written on it 'Shower Drain Pump' and usually sold with accompanying strainer as far as I can see, so presumably up to the job. This is one I have

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, james2 said:

 

Yep I think this is exactly what's happening! Happened to mention to previous occupant and they said they plugged the sink to make it go faster.

 

Thanks ditchcrawler and all I'll look at rerouting the sink so the pump will pump directly from the shower.

 

Yep it's written on it 'Shower Drain Pump' and usually sold with accompanying strainer as far as I can see, so presumably up to the job. This is one I have

 

Fine, two very experienced people have said it really is not suitable, but f you feel it prudent to believe the marketeers then be my guest. More especially as the link you post ends up on that paragon of truthful advertising, Ebay!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Why would anyone use a fresh water pump to pump waste water, soap, hair and heaven knows what else?

Of share boat had one nearly 30 years ago. I have had one for the past 20 years and works OK for me. If it breaks I will fit a whale.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.