Shower pump out very slow

james2

Featured Posts

Hi CWDF,

(New boater here, please excuse not knowing right terminology etc)

I've got a Par Max 3 shower pump out pumping out the shower and hand basin and the water literally dribbles out. It's got a Pumpgard filter before it which I've checked and is clear and as far as I know the pipe from that comes directly from the shower tray and the pipe from the pump goes directly out (the outlet is maybe 50cm above the pump if that makes any difference to anything)

Next thing I think I should do is check pipes for blockages and check that inlet pipes are secure so air can't get sucked in. Is that right? If so are there any tricks and ways to do that without disconnecting all the hoses? And for the outlet hose I guess that must be full of water, any tricks to emptying that before I disconnect from the pump?

Thanks!

J

Some shower drain pumps tend to get gunged up with hair, soap residue and evil slime that only grows at night on a full moon. So yes I think you are on the right lines, check pipes and filters aren't blocked by the horrid gloop. As to disconnecting the pipes, just have washing up bowl in position to collect the water - after all, there won’t be much volume of it.

The best pump for shower drain is a Whale Gulper, so if you do need to get a new pump, get one of those,

Edited by nicknorman

1 minute ago, nicknorman said:

Some shower drain pumps tend to get gunged up with hair, soap residue and evil slime that only grows at night on a full moon. So yes I think you are on the right lines, check pipes and filters aren't blocked by the horrid gloop. As to disconnecting the pipes, just have washing up bowl in position to collect the water - after all, there won’t be much volume of it.

The best pump for shower drain is a Whale Gulper, so if you do need to get a new pumpout, get one of those,

Pipe from the outlet to the pump is going to have a good few cupfulls of water, as is the pipe from the shower tray to the strainer, and they're both terminated quite close to the floor so I was hoping for some magic tips to magic away the water 😉 But I'll just figure out how to either unmount the pump/strainer so I can get a bowl under them or just use loads of towels or something to soak up the leaks.

8 minutes ago, james2 said:

Pipe from the outlet to the pump is going to have a good few cupfulls of water, as is the pipe from the shower tray to the strainer, and they're both terminated quite close to the floor so I was hoping for some magic tips to magic away the water 😉 But I'll just figure out how to either unmount the pump/strainer so I can get a bowl under them or just use loads of towels or something to soak up the leaks.

Disposable nappies are quite good for soaking up lots of water.

3 minutes ago, james2 said:

Nothing, the basin does drain into the shower.

Then I would expect the pump to suck air. Try pumping the shower with a plug in the sink

24 minutes ago, james2 said:

Nope pump and strainer are mounted on the floor next to the shower tray.

So what stops the basin draining into the shower

It seems that pump is just like a domestic water pump, with multiple small pumping chambers and small valves. Even with a strainer, it is just asking for hair problems with valves not sealing and thus no or reduced pumping.

Personally I would try to drain the basin straight out through the hull by gravity and fit a gulper for the shower.

3 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

This does sound like an odd set up.  Presumably the basin is above the canal level, so why doesn't it drain straight out into the canal?

One reason is that it may be difficult to get the height above the waterline required for hire boats, but I think one of those yuppy basins stood on top of the work surface should solve that problem.

1 minute ago, Tony Brooks said:

I checked online and have come across the problems with it before. It is sold as a shower cum bilge pump.

Never knew that.  Thank you for the info.

A pump with small plastic valves does not inspire any confidence in its long term reliability as a shower pump, may be better as a bilge pump but then it will often have grease to cope with.

Just now, Tracy D'arth said:

Never knew that.  Thank you for the info.

A pump with small plastic valves does not inspire any confidence in its long term reliability as a shower pump, may be better as a bilge pump but then it will often have grease to cope with.

#the whole idea of those pumps is bl@@dy silly in my view, still I am sure they are cheaper than a Gulper.

21 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Then I would expect the pump to suck air. Try pumping the shower with a plug in the sink

So what stops the basin draining into the shower

Yep I think this is exactly what's happening! Happened to mention to previous occupant and they said they plugged the sink to make it go faster.

Thanks ditchcrawler and all I'll look at rerouting the sink so the pump will pump directly from the shower.

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

I checked online and have come across the problems with it before. It is sold as a shower cum bilge pump.

Yep it's written on it 'Shower Drain Pump' and usually sold with accompanying strainer as far as I can see, so presumably up to the job. This is one I have

4 minutes ago, james2 said:

Yep I think this is exactly what's happening! Happened to mention to previous occupant and they said they plugged the sink to make it go faster.

Thanks ditchcrawler and all I'll look at rerouting the sink so the pump will pump directly from the shower.

Yep it's written on it 'Shower Drain Pump' and usually sold with accompanying strainer as far as I can see, so presumably up to the job. This is one I have

Fine, two very experienced people have said it really is not suitable, but f you feel it prudent to believe the marketeers then be my guest. More especially as the link you post ends up on that paragon of truthful advertising, Ebay!

2 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Why would anyone use a fresh water pump to pump waste water, soap, hair and heaven knows what else?

Of share boat had one nearly 30 years ago. I have had one for the past 20 years and works OK for me. If it breaks I will fit a whale.