Torksey Lock Keeper Name?

PD1964

Featured Posts

I came across Neil last month going through Alrewas helping a friend move his boat. During our very brief conversation as we passed each other, he was moaning that he is no longer just at Torksey Lock as they now 'rotate him' covering other locks on the Trent. He wasn't happy!

38 minutes ago, Grassman said:

I came across Neil last month going through Alrewas helping a friend move his boat. During our very brief conversation as we passed each other, he was moaning that he is no longer just at Torksey Lock as they now 'rotate him' covering other locks on the Trent. He wasn't happy!

One could view that as lest piss our employees off so they leave and we can use volunteers to do their jobs type of management.

5 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

If it's the same guy I encountered the one time I went through Torksey Lock, he behaved like an utter nob.

To be honest that’s why I asked, a friend met him helping move two women on two old narrowboats strapped together to their new moorings last months, he became very aggressive verbally to him for no reason. I met him later on going through a lock and recognised him. Just mentioned it to my friend and he relayed his experience. I told him he was a CaRT lock keeper and he was flabbergasted at this. I think he will be reported about the aggressive attitude and verbal attack. He doesn’t like “Northern c@nts” apparently.

Edited by PD1964

7 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

If it's the same guy I encountered the one time I went through Torksey Lock, he behaved like an utter nob.

Every time I have been thru' Torksey it has been a different lockies (2 lockies required). The majority of times it has been 'bankstaff' that have been cutting trees, mowing grass etc along the cut and have been told to go to Torksey for 'a couple of hours' whilst the tide is favourable. They have not been trained lockies and in each case have actually slowed down the process more than if we had done it ourselves.

10 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

One could view that as lets piss our employees off so they leave and we can use volunteers to do their jobs type of management.

I feel sure there is something in that.

The lock keeper at West Stockwith indicated he was being asked to carry out other duties.

At the same time  Cromwell has not been manned over summer hours as it was in the past regardless of whether boats were booked. Presumably this 

Passage has to be booked 48 hrs in advance at Cromwell and Torksey which presumably means there could be no one  on duty if no boats are booked. Or the lock keeper will be there only long enough to  operate the lock for the boats that have booked.

I suspect none of the full time tidal lock keepers are happy .

4 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Every time I have been thru' Torksey it has been a different lockies (2 lockies required). The majority of times it has been 'bankstaff' that have been cutting trees, mowing grass etc along the cut and have been told to go to Torksey for 'a couple of hours' whilst the tide is favourable. They have not been trained lockies and in each case have actually slowed down the process more than if we had done it ourselves.

Listen, I’m on about the old lock keeper with the Pony tail, a big guy, about 65, who’s  a Southerner who has an old shit  boat.

I know him as Neil, I’m not bothered about volunteer keepers, this CaRT staff  was aggressive to a friend, so a complete dick. Hopeful he’ll learn.

1 hour ago, PD1964 said:

Listen, I’m on about the old lock keeper with the Pony tail, a big guy, about 65, who’s  a Southerner who has an old shit  boat.

I know him as Neil, I’m not bothered about volunteer keepers, this CaRT staff  was aggressive to a friend, so a complete dick. Hopeful he’ll learn.

I can only speak as I find but everytime I've been through Torksey Lock, Neil has been there, in charge, and his friendly, cheery advice on exit tides and all things and his good sense has made me believe he is one of the best.

I'm sorry to read what I have on here, but then we all let ourselves down on occasions.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, JamesWoolcock said:

I can only speak as I find but everytime I've been through Torksey Lock, Neil has been there, in charge, and his friendly, cheery advice on exit tides and all things and his good sense has made me believe he is one of the best.

I'm sorry to read what I have on here, but then we all let ourselves down on occasions.

Same as 

18 hours ago, PD1964 said:

To be honest that’s why I asked, a friend met him helping move two women on two old narrowboats strapped together to their new moorings last months, he became very aggressive verbally to him for no reason. I met him later on going through a lock and recognised him. Just mentioned it to my friend and he relayed his experience. I told him he was a CaRT lock keeper and he was flabbergasted at this. I think he will be reported about the aggressive attitude and verbal attack. He doesn’t like “Northern c@nts” apparently.

It was a catalogue of things to be honest.  Including repeatedly turning the lock against me even though he knew I was waiting.  Then being verbally rude to me when I got into the lock.  Then opening a top paddle before I was tied and ready.  Then telling me not to bother cruising the Chesterfield Canal because it was shit.  (Yes I know I was going onto the Fossdyke).  A most unpleasant man.  He was definitely CRT staff.  He was on his own.  An older guy, overweight, but I don't remember a ponytail.  Ths was 3-4 years ago so I may have forgotten that.

Edited by doratheexplorer

1 hour ago, doratheexplorer said:

It was a catalogue of things to be honest.  Including repeatedly turning the lock against me even though he knew I was waiting.  Then being verbally rude to me when I got into the lock.  Then opening a top paddle before I was tied and ready.  Then telling me not to bother cruising the Chesterfield Canal because it was shit.  (Yes I know I was going onto the Fossdyke).  A most unpleasant man.  He was definitely CRT staff.  He was on his own.  An older guy, overweight, but I don't remember a ponytail.  Ths was 3-4 years ago so I may have forgotten that.

I just simply cannot imagine Neil behaving like that.  However I did once encounter a lock keeper at Torksey who most certainly did.  A bit of identity confusion has crept in here, methinks.

22 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

I just simply cannot imagine Neil behaving like that.  However I did once encounter a lock keeper at Torksey who most certainly did.  A bit of identity confusion has crept in here, methinks.

No definite Neil with my friends encounter, he couldn’t believe he was CaRT with his aggressive attitude and language.

9 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

Thats more likely Adj than Neil.

6 hours ago, PD1964 said:

No definite Neil with my friends encounter, he couldn’t believe he was CaRT with his aggressive attitude and language.

I'm struggling to see Neil behaving anything like that. In the 13 years we have know him he has been the most pleasant and helpful person you could meet.

• Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, JamesWoolcock said:

And most of what we've heard so far from PD1964 has simply been hearsay.

A man, who as far as I know is not a forum member, and therefore is unable to defend himself and his alleged behaviour, is having his reputation sullied on here.

This is not good enough and quite dreadful.

Anyone who knows or has met Neil knows that isn't his behaviour at all. He is a true gent.

Adj, the other lockie, can be a bit prickly until you get to know him but under that spikey shell there is a nice chap hiding as well. He has helped us our on many an occasion. 

• Greenie 1

19 hours ago, JamesWoolcock said:

And most of what we've heard so far from PD1964 has simply been hearsay.

A man, who as far as I know is not a forum member, and therefore is unable to defend himself and his alleged behaviour, is having his reputation sullied on here.

This is not good enough and quite dreadful.

It’s first hand hearsay from a very reliable source, The boats he was moving in August are now moored at Tinsley, The altercation happened around Thorne, my friend warned me about him saying he was heading to Sheffield. I questioned it also as I have been through Torksey a lot with no issues. As I got him and the 2x woman and boats through a lock. My friend told me the name of the boat and it was definitely him on it. Sorry to say, maybe he’d had a bad day moving the two boats, but there was no need for his aggressive behaviour out of the blue, especially from a CaRT employee.

Edited by PD1964

2 hours ago, PD1964 said:

It’s first hand hearsay from a very reliable source, The boats he was moving in August are now moored at Tinsley, The altercation happened around Thorne, my friend warned me about him saying he was heading to Sheffield. I questioned it also as I have been through Torksey a lot with no issues. As I got him and the 2x woman and boats through a lock. My friend told me the name of the boat and it was definitely him on it. Sorry to say, maybe he’d had a bad day moving the two boats, but there was no need for his aggressive behaviour out of the blue, especially from a CaRT employee.

CRT employees are just as prone to a bad day as anyone else.

We are heading by Torksey on Sunday and had planned to pop in so I will ask him for his version of events.

• Greenie 2

43 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

CRT employees are just as prone to a bad day as anyone else.

We are heading by Torksey on Sunday and had planned to pop in so I will ask him for his version of events.

Please do, I believe my friend and it was all on CCTV as was made aware of, obviously not going to tell the full incident on here.

On 08/10/2021 at 18:31, PD1964 said:

Please do, I believe my friend and it was all on CCTV as was made aware of, obviously not going to tell the full incident on here.

We called in at Torksey on our way home from Saxilby this morning but there was no one there.

We didn't think to check the tide times, we don't need them now 🤣🤣🤣

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

We called in at Torksey on our way home from Saxilby this morning but there was no one there.

If no one had booked 48hrs in advance that may  explain why no one was there . The flood was at 10:15 according to the river gauge .