Renault Blue

shiprat

Featured Posts

I'm about to touch up the paintwork on my boat and need to replace the old leftover tins of paint I inherited. They are in plain tins but labelled "Masons P-type" in different colours. Craftmaster have 2 of the colours listed (thankfully including the main one) but "Renault Blue" with no code remains a mystery.  Craftmaster have offered to colour match but looking at the residue in the tin it will be difficult to send a sample. Has anyone heard of this colour please?

13 minutes ago, shiprat said:

I'm about to touch up the paintwork on my boat and need to replace the old leftover tins of paint I inherited. They are in plain tins but labelled "Masons P-type" in different colours. Craftmaster have 2 of the colours listed (thankfully including the main one) but "Renault Blue" with no code remains a mystery.  Craftmaster have offered to colour match but looking at the residue in the tin it will be difficult to send a sample. Has anyone heard of this colour please?

I'd imagine that it was the colour, akin to French racing blue, in which the Renault 8 Gordinis were painted.

If you do send a paint sample by post, don't tell the Post Office what it is. I tried to send one, securely packed in a film container within a jiffy bag, to Craftmaster a couple of years ago. The P.O. clerk looked aghast when I told her it was a paint sample, and claimed that I was not allowed to send such dangerous material through the post. I solved the problem by taking it to a different Post Office and not telling them what it was.

23 minutes ago, shiprat said:

My guess it is a "special" for the owner mixed up to match the colour of their car or some such. I fear the only way to get even a tolerable match is to cut back and polish a patch of the boat, and then use a colour fan to get as close as possible. The fans are expensive although I got mine for the three common paint systems during a sale  RAL, BS4000? and BS 2xx? (not sure of the BS suffix numbers without looking). Regrettably you are too far away to borrow mine.

I suspect that it may be easier to rub the lot down and repaint it in a common colour that is near enough.

Edited by Tony Brooks

I took a sample of gloss painted plastic sheet to the Dulux Trade store and the chap tried to scan it but said he couldn't get a result as it was too shiny - their machine only worked on matt and eggshell samples. Ended up doing a visual comparison with sample cards. And a few days after paying a small fortune for Dukux Trade I found the identical colour in Wilko own brand (which is probably where the sample I was trying to match came from).

Fading paint. We have a band of maroon on Bee, its  really classy when its new and I think its called 'Freshly picked and pressed Burgundy grapes' or something. After two years in French sun and Belgian rain its closest match is 'Murder scene blood clot'. Stupid paint.

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Bee said:

Fading paint. We have a band of maroon on Bee, its  really classy when its new and I think its called 'Freshly picked and pressed Burgundy grapes' or something. After two years in French sun and Belgian rain its closest match is 'Murder scene blood clot'. Stupid paint.

You could work for Farrow and Ball naming their colours!