Route from Stoke Golding, Ashby, to Swanley Bridge, Nantwich

northern

Featured Posts

Subject to survey, I'm looking to move a boat from Stoke Golding, bridge 23 on the Ashby Canal, to Swanley Bridge, Llangollen.

The journey is likely to start around Saturday 30th October.  I'd like to go via the Staffs and Worcester and up the Shropshire Union rather than all the way up the Trent and Mersey.  I know it's slightly longer but it's much more scenic, having done it before.

Given the time of the year I'd be moving it, I've checked winter closures and can't see anything (planned) which would mean the trip's not possible.

Just checking I've not missed anything obvious in terms of stoppages and for any other advice concerning the trip...

Thanks,

10 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

T&M is in water shortage, go S&W and Shropie, always plenty of water thanks to the good folk of Wolverhampton.

Its raining and more on the way, tons of water coming down from the summit as we went up Etruria lock, and water so high could barely get through the tunnel 😀

2 minutes ago, dmr said:

Its raining and more on the way, tons of water coming down from the summit as we went up Etruria lock, and water so high could barely get through the tunnel 😀

What a difference 2 weeks can make.  Then it was not enough water to get through the tunnel and the Caldon closed!

Just now, Tracy D'arth said:

What a difference 2 weeks can make.  Then it was not enough water to get through the tunnel and the Caldon closed!

Not even two weeks, I reckon enough rain came down in a couple of hours to fill the entire T&M, got absolutely soaked coming up Etruria lock, hoped to get to the tunnel but had to stop for the night in Stoke instead (and go beer drinking in some inadequate pub 😀). Enough rain forecast tomoro to fill the Northern Canals. 

9 hours ago, dmr said:

I took t'boat up to Stone last week and it struck me that there was no shortage of water on the south side of the summit.

The bywashes at all the locks seemed to be flowing.

The plan is to get to Leek at the end of the month but I'm wondering what the water situation up ther will be?

3 hours ago, Victor Vectis said:

I took t'boat up to Stone last week and it struck me that there was no shortage of water on the south side of the summit.

The bywashes at all the locks seemed to be flowing.

The plan is to get to Leek at the end of the month but I'm wondering what the water situation up ther will be?

Is the Caldon still closed????

A big bywash flow could of course indicate a lot of boat traffic rather than a full summit, but in general I think there is plenty of water about. We've had rain, more is forecast and I suspect boat traffic is now rapidly reducing (or maybe this is just because I am moving North?).

The Bosley locks were still on restricted opening day before yesterday even though there was loads of water flowing but I suspect CRT are cautious about lifting restrictions.

I reckon you will be ok.

29 minutes ago, MtB said:

Not a single boat has passed me today, here on the K&A.

We are on the Mac now which is a lovely canal, but its North of Harecastle so it is "in the North".  Yesterday only one boat passed me all day. I suspect the "boating season" ends quite suddenly, or maybe we have just got out of synch with the hire boat times and routes?. Just a week ago Stone was pretty much full but that has a couple of local marinas and is on the 4 counties ring.