Anderton Boat Lift going to reduced operation times from 4th Oct 2021

frangar

Featured Posts

I would rather pay a bit extra than to loose parts of the system.

Tuel lane lock has two sets of gates so that it can accommodate full length boats, I suspect that over the past three years we have been the main users of that extra set of gates. I really want CRT to keep them.

8 minutes ago, frangar said:

I have to say I’m shocked and disappointed at some of the replies on here…to my mind the canals are for travelling and navigation…for which we are the only user group that directly pay as well as indirectly …sadly it seems others don’t think this or have the means to pay for the privilege….

I'm not suggesting that charging a booking fee is correct but I can understand that better management of staff time had to be prioritised to make things first effective. Surely it is better to have known time slots for using certain bits of the canal network if that reduces cost and allows money to be available for emergency repairs such as Audlem lock ,2 this week and clearing a tree tomorrow near Norbury both of which would have scuppered our current trip if not sorted out.

7 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

I'm not suggesting that charging a booking fee is correct but I can understand that better management of staff time had to be prioritised to make things first effective. Surely it is better to have known time slots for using certain bits of the canal network if that reduces cost and allows money to be available for emergency repairs such as Audlem lock ,2 this week and clearing a tree tomorrow near Norbury both of which would have scuppered our current trip if not sorted out.

I can almost agree with booking in quieter periods but I vehemently disagree with paying extra for the privilege. 

I'm getting completely confused by the changes and the lack of information about them. Last I heard was that you had to book the Anderton lift and pay the fee, and the option to turn up and take the next free slot was no longer available. Has the latter now been reinstated?

It was the same with Harecastle - lots of notices when everyone had to book, nothing when they reinstated turn up passage in the mornings.

2 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I'm getting completely confused by the changes and the lack of information about them. Last I heard was that you had to book the Anderton lift and pay the fee, and the option to turn up and take the next free slot was no longer available. Has the latter now been reinstated?

It was the same with Harecastle - lots of notices when everyone had to book, nothing when they reinstated turn up passage in the mornings.

Yes, CRT are putting out very confusing info, and looking at their website or even phoning them does not get a clear answer. Harecastle needs to be booked in advance for the afternoons, and booked 24 hours in advance, but if you turn up in the morning you just go straight through. Its really daft because we book a slot for the afternoon in case we get delayed but go through in the morning leaving an otherwise available afternoon slot booked. I don't know what happens if you just turn up in the afternoon. 

16 hours ago, dmr said:

Yes, CRT are putting out very confusing info, and looking at their website or even phoning them does not get a clear answer. Harecastle needs to be booked in advance for the afternoons, and booked 24 hours in advance, but if you turn up in the morning you just go straight through. Its really daft because we book a slot for the afternoon in case we get delayed but go through in the morning leaving an otherwise available afternoon slot booked. I don't know what happens if you just turn up in the afternoon. 

Dont thay have a new man in the area who is trying to use his labour more efficiently, ie, no bookings for the day then use them elsewhere

21 hours ago, dmr said:

We had a 3pn slot booked last week but arrived at 12:15 and were let in the tunnel at 12:35 when the boat from the other direction came out.  The tunnel keeper said they prefer boats to turn up early and that 3pm is the last entry time for heading north.

1 minute ago, Rob-M said:

We had a 3pn slot booked last week but arrived at 12:15 and were let in the tunnel at 12:35 when the boat from the other direction came out.  The tunnel keeper said they prefer boats to turn up early and that 3pm is the last entry time for heading north.

We went through 3 days ago. It had rained a lot so the water level was likely up a bit, but I am sure that the bit in the middle gets lower everytime we go through

• 8 months later...

Has anyone been up or down  the Anderton lift recently? We hope to go down at late June/ the start of July. I looks like there is still the next available slot system as well as booking for £10 return.

Is it busy there as with almost daily lifts and four a day as far as I can see it seems its maybe best to just turn up. Despite approx timings from Canal Plan its hard until two days of so before to plan exactly when we will arrive? (Appreciate its closed 12th July) 

3 hours ago, Stroudwater1 said:

Has anyone been up or down  the Anderton lift recently? We hope to go down at late June/ the start of July. I looks like there is still the next available slot system as well as booking for £10 return.

Is it busy there as with almost daily lifts and four a day as far as I can see it seems its maybe best to just turn up. Despite approx timings from Canal Plan its hard until two days of so before to plan exactly when we will arrive? (Appreciate its closed 12th July) 

Trouble is, you can't walk in and talk to the nice young lady in the office anymore who could do it for you. I dont quite see how you can book next available on line?

10 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Trouble is, you can't walk in and talk to the nice young lady in the office anymore who could do it for you. I dont quite see how you can book next available on line?

I think " next available" is one of the options or you can select a date and time. I too miss being able to go down and chat to a person about the booking !

8 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Sadly true, having had a look just now it seems there is a "Next available slot" on the drop down list for the day- so I imagine that you use that and hope that not all slots on the day have been booked. The charge disappears too. 

How busy is the lift these days? With 6 bookable slots, I assume each for two boats its leaving 12 slots per day each way?

Charges are not a new thing at Anderton - I have a Nicholsons Guide no. 2 (North West) of circa 1972 vintage which states that the lift is open to boats 0800-1630 Monday to Friday and 0800-1030 Saturday - charge £2 single and £3 return trip. In round figures that's £20 single and £30 return at today's prices. 

ISTR that the lift is one of a small number of locations where BWB were (and CRT presumably are) allowed to charge over and above the licence fee

1 hour ago, magpie patrick said:

Charges are not a new thing at Anderton - I have a Nicholsons Guide no. 2 (North West) of circa 1972 vintage which states that the lift is open to boats 0800-1630 Monday to Friday and 0800-1030 Saturday - charge £2 single and £3 return trip. In round figures that's £20 single and £30 return at today's prices. 

ISTR that the lift is one of a small number of locations where BWB were (and CRT presumably are) allowed to charge over and above the licence fee

Yes, and you were given a souvenir ticket for your £3.

I think CRT are technically allowed to charge for a service wherever it is provided.  "Call me Dave" Fletcher removed the fees for Anderton and  Standedge among others one year when the licence/registration fee went up steeply.

N

I rang up for next available booking, (I was moored by Stanley pub)and told its in ten minutes, still had to pay though. The lift staff told me that the booking I went down on had already gone, but let me down anyway. They were complaining the booking system is a mess.  The visitor moorings at Northwich and river moorings at boat lift were nearly full yesterday.

16 hours ago, magpie patrick said:

It was £6.50  each way in 1977. In those days you got to share locks with coasters from the ICI, so well worth the expense😀