Who are BMW as a mediation body?

Adventurer

Featured Posts

I visited a renowned Marina / brokerage in CW5 recently,after driving 400 miles return trip to see an advertised Narrowboat. Since it was a 10 year old boat at a great price,  I thought it worth the trip. I put in an offer at full asking price, which was accepted ( was told by the broker since I was the first to view no lower offers would be put to the owner. The owner apparently offered £1000 off for a quick sale without a survey.)

After a few phone calls post purchase and liaising with the brokerage manager, which service left me feeling as though I shouldn't be asking ANY questions post purchase & made to feel like a nuisance.

I eventually asked to speak to the brokerage owner if she didnt feel the need to assist, she put the phone down saying there was an ambulance that had just arrived. 🤔

I subsequently received a call from the owner defending her without even bothering to hear about my experience or address any of my concerns or questions, insisting that I not call back until my survey had been conducted, and to stop verbally abusing his staff.  🤔

I have never felt such buyers remorse in my life.

On requesting the owners contact details in writing, he responded by cancelling the sale, indicating that he could do so at any stage of the sale & I should mor contact either of his two marina's ever again.

On reading the sale agreement T's & C's, which refer to dispute resolution with the president of the BMW. Who are they and where can I get their details? I contacted British Marine Waterways who have no membership details for this company/ brokerage/ marina. I have requested mediation on the matter in writing to the brokerage no avail. They still have my deposit with a surveyor scheduled to visit in two weeks time. 

What are my next steps? I would like the boat but very nervous to proceed,  given the events to date.

Also I contacted the Canal & river trust trying to validate the number on the side of the boat to the name of the boat which did not match. Since there has only been one owner who bought the boat as a sailaway I'm left scratching my head.

Any advice please would be appreciated.

Thanks 

Edited by Adventurer

Are you sure you don't mean the British Marine Federation.?

Ah. Typed too slowly

3 minutes ago, Adventurer said:

Will give them a call thanks.

If you go on their website you can look up their members.

Are you sure its not BMF or British Marine as it's now called? That is a trade body that offers mediation, I think, but suspect it will usually side with the business that pays it membership fees.

I would write to the brokerage stating that THEY have cancelled the sale to you, requesting the return of your deposit within 14 days, and then cancel the survey if you can. If you can't cancel take them to the small  claims court (online application and not that expensive) to recover your out-of-pocket expenses.

Then name and shame. There will be another boat out there for you, and you may have escaped from possible future expenses in relation to the RCD/RCR that may not have been complied with during the build.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Adventurer said:

Thanks. Just confusing that the acronym used in the agreement was BMW not BMF.

That suggest it is out of date paper work, so I am not sure the contract is even worth the paper It's written on. Shysters comes to mind. It's probably one of the marinas BWM sold.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Adventurer said:

The family own two Marinas and a caravan park. I'm sure you know who they are. 😉

I would keep your powder dry until you have got your money back.

Then name and shame with a factual account on here of what happened.

Reading between the lines, it sounds to me as though the marina got fed up with your phone calls between placing a deposit and the survey being completed, and took a "no survey" offer from someone willing to forgo a survey.  

Whether you were genuinely making a PITA of yourself is hard a to say, but a "no survey" sale in return for only a thousand off the price is very attractive to a seller. Last boat I bought, I got £9k off the original asking price in return for forgoing a survey! 

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

I wouldn't be surprised it if wasn't similar to a certain Italian city with loads of canals.

(2 marinas, a caravan site and a history of dodgy selling practices)

I suspect that's right.

I got a deep sigh a few weeks ago down the phone when I dared to enquire if they've anything sat as yet unlisted, so can empathize.

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Adventurer said:

What do we refer to the people from Venice as? 😉 You beat me to it.😊

I had big problems with their 'sister' marina who told out right lies and said things about the boat that were seriously incorrect..

I made an offer on another boat, and whilst I was in the office they called the 'owner' about my offer. What they didn't realise was that they were having a discussion between themselves and had not contacted  'the seller' at all. I was sat there and they were talking 'over me'.

They seem to be a very dense bunch of salesmen.

• Horror 2

1 hour ago, Adventurer said:

I visited a renowned Marina / brokerage in CW5 recently,after driving 400 miles return trip to see an advertised Narrowboat. Since it was a 10 year old boat at a great price,  I thought it worth the trip. I put in an offer at full asking price, which was accepted ( was told by the broker since I was the first to view no lower offers would be put to the owner. The owner apparently offered £1000 off for a quick sale without a survey.)

After a few phone calls post purchase and liaising with the brokerage manager, which service left me feeling as though I shouldn't be asking ANY questions post purchase & made to feel like a nuisance.

I eventually asked to speak to the brokerage owner if she didnt feel the need to assist, she put the phone down saying there was an ambulance that had just arrived. 🤔

I subsequently received a call from the owner defending her without even bothering to hear about my experience or address any of my concerns or questions, insisting that I not call back until my survey had been conducted, and to stop verbally abusing his staff.  🤔

I have never felt such buyers remorse in my life.

On requesting the owners contact details in writing, he responded by cancelling the sale, indicating that he could do so at any stage of the sale & I should mor contact either of his two marina's ever again.

On reading the sale agreement T's & C's, which refer to dispute resolution with the president of the BMW. Who are they and where can I get their details? I contacted British Marine Waterways who have no membership details for this company/ brokerage/ marina. I have requested mediation on the matter in writing to the brokerage no avail. They still have my deposit with a surveyor scheduled to visit in two weeks time. 

What are my next steps? I would like the boat but very nervous to proceed,  given the events to date.

Also I contacted the Canal & river trust trying to validate the number on the side of the boat to the name of the boat which did not match. Since there has only been one owner who bought the boat as a sailaway I'm left scratching my head.

Any advice please would be appreciated.

Thanks 

think you will soon need to better understand how far the sale process had progressed before the dispute started.  The "pot-purchase" conversations suggest you think the sale had completed - whereas (subsequently) requesting the owner's contact details suggest you think it had not.

2 minutes ago, Adventurer said:

A sale  agreement was signed by both parties contra ting into a sale.

Not really. Signing a contract to buy subject to survey (as it appears you did), does not constitute a completed sale. 

That only happens when you hand over the full amount of the dosh and they hand over the boat to you.

I think you signed a conditional contract, with the condition yet to be fulfilled.

2 hours ago, MtB said:

Reading between the lines, it sounds to me as though the marina got fed up with your phone calls between placing a deposit and the survey being completed, and took a "no survey" offer from someone willing to forgo a survey.  

Whether you were genuinely making a PITA of yourself is hard a to say, but a "no survey" sale in return for only a thousand off the price is very attractive to a seller. Last boat I bought, I got £9k off the original asking price in return for forgoing a survey! 

I think you're spot on. So do I have any option but to walk away subject to receiving my deposit back. Also how do they get to accept another offer over an existing offer without any recourse?

3 hours ago, MtB said:

Wow, how old was the boat out of interest?

2 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Hmm.  It's not MVCL by any chance is it?

The seller has been told that the fast full price offer was made by someone who hasn't got the funds to complete the purchase ...

That's interesting as funds are ready and waiting to complete purchase.