Red diesel prices up after high demand and supply disruption

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

Red diesel prices up after high demand and supply disruption

Red diesel prices are up nearly 6p/litre on the week after high demand and several days of supply disruption.

The national average diesel price rose to 68.72p/litre on Wednesday 29 September, up from 62.85p/litre the previous week.

The price is based on a Farmers Weekly UK-wide survey for a 5,000-litre delivery within 20 miles of the depot on 28-day payment terms.

This is a huge jump on the same time last year, when the average price was reported to be just 40.9p/litre.

Fuel prices are sensitive to the global oil trade, and crude oil values rose above US$80 (£59) a barrel on 28 September for the first time in three years.

It has also been suggested that the prolonged issues with petrol and diesel supply has affected gas oil availability, with pressure being applied to tanker drivers to prioritise topping up garages.

13 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

I wonder how HVO compares now the oil price has shot up ...

It will doubtless have increased in line with the general increase in fuel.

Last Friday I filled up at my local filling station for £1.31.9 for unleaded. Local prices are now running at £1.42 -£1.48. Whilst people are purchasing up to 10 times their normal purchase level, is it any wonder that vendors will take advantage?

Plenty of red diesel where I live, about 50 miles from the nearest waterway/coastline... We were without petrol/diesel for five days so folk were getting desperate, I'm sure some weren't able to resist the temptation.

2 hours ago, Neil2 said:

Plenty of red diesel where I live, about 50 miles from the nearest waterway/coastline... We were without petrol/diesel for five days so folk were getting desperate, I'm sure some weren't able to resist the temptation.

But if you only put the propulsion red diesel into your car then you have paid the correct tax rate.

We bought red at Turner's on the Shroppie today, he hadn't had his delivery so was down to his last 200 litres so said I could have a max of 100 litres. He is expecting the delivery tomorrow.  Price was 76.9

Touch wood, no problems here...

Phoned up on Monday to book a delivery for Wednesday and on Tuesday I got a call asking if I could take it then. Will be placing an other order on Monday so hope it's trouble free.

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of more orders down the line and supply is still good with 24hr/48hr deliveries. However the price has unfortunately sky rocketed. It's about 30p a litre more than it was earlier in the year. Ouch

18 minutes ago, Liam said:

It's about 30p a litre more than it was earlier in the year. Ouch

Its not just diesel - all my (house) supply contracts seem to be coming to an end at the same time, here are the latest four :

Gas (tank in the garden, gas purchased in bulk) Beginning of the year was ~30p per litre, we had a delivery whilst we were away on the boat and they have charged 85p per litre because we are now 'out of contract'. Changing supplier and getting the 'change supplier / new customer rate' of 40p per litre for any future deliveries.

Electricity - 2 year contract ends at the end of this months with a current price of 13.5p per unit, all the compare websites say they can no longer make offers and to deal directly with the providers. Best price I could find is with the existing supplier ay 30.5p. More than 125% increase.

Broadband (for a guaranteed 0.8Mb, average 3mb) currently £19.99 new price £25.99

Kerosene (Central heating oil) Paid 40p per litre at the beginning of the year, Quoted now (and ordered) at 51.9p per litre. With on supplier refusing to give a price, saying "place your order, we will give you the price in 2 weeks time on the day of delivery as prices are so volatile".