Mystery Water Supply

davidb

Featured Posts

This seems to be a permanent feature on the LL canal near Southfield Bridge (159), I took the video last week and it was running just the same amount of water last May. There is a manhole in the field over the wall, but I can't see how it could be part of the supply from Winterburn, it is too far from Greenberfield. Strange.

It is just in front of Kennet in this picture taken on 26th May

sField.jpg

'

Thanks for that, Peter, and thanks for the link to the page, another excellent resource on the CART web site.

I have been wondering for some time where that feeder went, its fascinating how the surveyors ever got the canal through that area, there must have been so many discussions and arguments 200 years ago!

They also found what must be the ideal route for the feeder and it is quite a long way from the canal most of the time, but allows them to divert it to the most needy pound as required.

I guess the steel box on the side of the wall nearby houses the remote control for a valve.

I wonder if more water is wasted in Lancs or Yorks?  Probably Lancs because Yorkshire will have some water to go at from the River Aire.

cheers, David

35 minutes ago, davidb said:

I wonder if more water is wasted in Lancs or Yorks?  Probably Lancs because Yorkshire will have some water to go at from the River Aire.

Yorkshire, definitely.  

All the hire boats from Skipton and Silsden that climb to the summit then turn round and go back or go down and up Bingley vastly outnumber those who do Blackburn and Wigan flight.