Enough is enough!

Midnight

Featured Posts

With yet another major structural failure on the Leeds & Liverpool Canal followed swiftly by two further stoppages on the L&L and Huddersfield Narrow the Northern reaches have become a virtual no-go area. C&RT are a disaster but we are stuck with them for the time being. They seem incapable of finding a sustainable solution and it's very likely things will get even worse in the North over the next few years. There's no doubt there is a shortage of cash and management failures like Toddbrook and the Aire & Calder haven't helped.

Maybe it's time for a radical rethink? The three Pennine Canals are very expensive to maintain so maybe it's time to consider mothballing the Hudderfield and Rochdale canals and put the resources into an attempt to keep the Leeds and Liverpool open. Horrific solution but let's be honest how many boaters have any faith in crossing the Pennines under this disaster of a navigation authority. 

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I think all the canals should be concreted over, they would instantly make excellent cycle paths and no one would have to pay to use them :rolleyes:

I think you should sit in your house and wait for the electric to go on to short term intermittent supply, gas to run out and your cars brakes to seize up from lack of use due to no fuel supply.

Middle of next month I reckon.😁

• Haha 3

I think licenses should be put up to £5,000 a year per boat as that is broadly what the canal system needs spending on it to keep it working. 

The root problem is a serious disconnect between the huge cost of maintaining the canals and trivial sums CRT charge boaters pay to use them. 

• Greenie 3
  • Horror 1

3 minutes ago, MtB said:

I think licenses should be put up to £5,000 a year per boat as that is broadly what the canal system needs spending on it to keep it working. 

May be not so big an increase but I would support a substantial increase, say to 3 times the present rate? 

With the proviso that the present management all leave and people who understand the canals appointed.

Edited by Tracy D'arth
  • Greenie 2

12 minutes ago, MtB said:

The root problem is a serious disconnect between the huge cost of maintaining the canals and trivial sums CRT charge boaters pay to use them. 

9 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

May be not so big an increase but I would support a substantial increase, say to 3 times the present rate? 

With the proviso that the present management all leave and people who understand the canals appointed.

You wouldn't have to worry about maintaining them as there wouldn't be any boats on them! Tim would get his wish of huge cycling paths 😱

• Greenie 1

10 minutes ago, MtB said:

Well that’s priced me and many others off the canal, see ya 👋 

And then logic would be those left will have to pay even more. 
But if they can afford it, hey ho. 

• Greenie 2

2 minutes ago, peterboat said:

You wouldn't have to worry about maintaining them as there wouldn't be any boats on them! Tim would get his wish of huge cycling paths 😱

Can you substantiate that prediction? I think there would be plenty of boaters still on the water, me, if I survive long enough, for one. Would such an increase drive yourself off the canals?

25 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Seconded!

• Greenie 2

25 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Means tested ! 
How about that?
The richer you are the more you pay, the poorer I am the less I pay. 

It’d leave me more money to support the local pubs and breweries!

Not really. If you want to live on a massively expensive-to-maintain waterway, why should others pay for it? 

If I became wealthy by prudence and good decision-making as opposed to pissing my money up the wall in pubs, why should I subsidise you?

Edited by MtB
Finesse a point.
  • Greenie 4

43 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Can you substantiate that prediction? I think there would be plenty of boaters still on the water, me, if I survive long enough, for one. Would such an increase drive yourself off the canals?

I am ok but most of our moorings would be gone!

I reckon the 'user pays' idea is great. No point in carrying on wrecking the countryside for HS2 if the tickets are £1000 each way London to Brum. and in fact the whole rail network would just slowly fade away without taxpayers money thrown at it.

56 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I don't think 3 times the current price would fix it for the waterways.

I pitched it at £5k because I think it people who live aboard would actually decide to pay it, once they seriously consider the equivalent cost of alternative accommodation.  I also think leisure boaters would probably pay it. Not necessarily the current leisure boat owners - they would throw their toys out the pram and sell up - but that would address the other problem everyone is whining about in the other thread, how ridiculously expensive boats are nowadays. If the licence reasonably reflected the true cost of keeping the waterways useable, i.e. say £5k a year, boat prices would plummet and keep everyone happy! 

• Greenie 2

10 minutes ago, MtB said:

I don't think 3 times the current price would fix it for the waterways.

I pitched it at £5k because I think it people who live aboard would actually decide to pay it, once they seriously consider the equivalent cost of alternative accommodation.  I also think leisure boaters would probably pay it. Not necessarily the current leisure boat owners - they would throw their toys out the pram and sell up - but that would address the other problem everyone is whining about in the other thread, how ridiculously expensive boats are nowadays. If the licence reasonably reflected the true cost of keeping the waterways useable, i.e. say £5k a year, boat prices would plummet and keep everyone happy! 

If it became that expensive and if I could afford to pay it I would not want to see people walking dogs, fishing, or even being visible from my very exclusive boat.  Just think of the cost of hiring a boat. Actually there would be an advantage, many of the French canals are somewhat underused so I'm sure the French would welcome a huge influx of boaters spending lots of money in France. 

Edited by Bee
  • Greenie 1

Why should it be cheaper to legally live on a boat than in a flat or house?

1 minute ago, Bee said:

If it became that expensive and if I could afford to pay it I would not want to see people walking dogs, fishing, or even being visible from my very exclusive boat.  Just think of the cost of hiring a boat. Actually there would be an advantage, many of the French canals are somewhat underused so I'm sure the French would welcome a huge influx of boaters spending lots of money in France.

If you lived in a house you would have people walking dogs, joggers, walkers, traffic,  so why do you think you should be excluded from these things because you live on a boat no matter how much you pay?

22 minutes ago, MtB said:

Not really. If you want to live on a massively expensive-to-maintain waterway, why should others pay for it? 

If I became wealthy by prudence and good decision-making as opposed to pissing my money up the wall in pubs, why should I subsidise you?

You may lack a sense of humour but I commend your prudence. 
Well done to you👍

53 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Means tested ! 
How about that?
The richer you are the more you pay, the poorer I am the less I pay. 

It’d leave me more money to support the local pubs and breweries!

If beer and pubs are more important than a decent place to live, I am so sorry for you.

3 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Ooooh Again no humour. 

Pubs and a decent place to live are all part and part of the parcel. 

Its not funny. The social implications of a preference for booze and pubs over a decent standard of living in a community is a disgrace.

Just now, Tracy D'arth said:

Its not funny. The social implications of a preference for booze and pubs over a decent standard of living in a community is a disgrace.

and pies

good pies

with out a pub I’m alone 

all alone

pubs are a community 

you’re not part of the temperance brigade are you?

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Goliath said:

and pies

good pies

with out a pub I’m alone 

all alone

pubs are a community 

you’re not part of the temperance brigade are you?

It is little wonder that you are alone, try being sociable outside the pubs, drinking less and growing up.

I like a drink as much as many, I cannot drink in pubs though because they are full of lonely idiots who have low social standards.