Cassette toilet - advice needed

_Catherine_

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, booke23 said:

In an ideal world this is what you would do. Certainly in my case a total reconfiguration of my bathroom and shower would have made for a perfect cassette toilet installation. But done properly that's a big job, and I really couldn't be bothered with it! 

Before we bought our last NB it had had the pump-out removed, the bathroom re-congfigured to suit and a wardrobe to take 2 bicycles built and a cross bed replacing the lengthwise bed - this was done around 2012. We bought it in 2015.

The invoices to do this were in the 'box of paperwork' It cost over £11,000.

On 19/10/2021 at 05:21, Peanut said:

You have certainly received the best advice.

A friend with a 12×60 Collingwood has done just this. They remove the cassette through the wardrobe, it helps if the bed isn't in the way.

I suggested that they swap the shower and toilet round to remove the cassette into the corridor to keep it out of the wardrobe.  They haven't yet.

The holding tank is big and awkward, they needed help as it is quite difficult to get it out and off the boat.  They are happy to be rid of it.

@Peanut Thanks for that. Did your friend's have to raise the toilet on a plinth, was it a Thetford, and my shower pump is under the relevant wardrobe plinth, did they have that issue and have to relocate it.

Also I am new to this forum. How do you just reply without quoting?

2 minutes ago, _Catherine_ said:

@Peanut Thanks for that. Did your friend's have to raise the toilet on a plinth, was it a Thetford, and my shower pump is under the relevant wardrobe plinth, did they have that issue and have to relocate it.

Also I am new to this forum. How do you just reply without quoting?

At the bottom of the page is a text box that says reply to this thread, or similar that posts a reply without a quote

Or I thought it said reply to this thread, anyway it looks like this

Screenshot_20211026-132143_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by tree monkey

Hi Catherine,
The toilet is a Thetford electric one, I am not sure which model, purchased about a year ago for some £600 +. It is not on a plinth, and they get the cassette out through the wardrobe. I haven't inspected the installation closely, but will ask and have a look later in the week. I am away at work today and tomorrow, but will see them when I get back on Thursday.
They plan to turn the bed round so that it is sideways on, as at present it is difficult to get the cassette out, but as always funds are needed. I will check to see about the shower, they have a shower over a hip bath, it emties into a sump which appears to be under the floor between the shower and the toilet. I will check that out. The poo tank was large and unwieldy, and you have to get it to the dump.

On 03/10/2021 at 21:17, Tracy D'arth said:

Install a proper sea toilet pumping into the holding tank, no electric required.  Small water tank for flush water under the basin or pull it in from the cut?

Precisely what I have. The tank is translucent and topped up via an on/off valve plumbed into the cold water supply. Takes 2 minutes to top up (exactly the time it takes to brush my teeth 😁)  

Hi Catherine,

Sorry for the delay in replying, work and granddaughters birthday took up my time.

Just to confirm the toilet is an electric Thetford with a ceramic bowl.  It is not on a plinth and there is no problem taking the cassette out, apart from the bed being in the way.

The sump for the bath drain is under the floor in the bathroom and not under the wardrobe plinth.  There is a button in the floor which you press to empty the sump overboard.

It sounds like your arrangement is different and may require extra work.  My friend continuously cruised in London for several years with the holding tank.  You have to plan your water and pump out with your moves and there can be queues for these.  They are happy to have removed the tank and changed to a cassette toilet now they are in a marina. It makes moving the bed round easier and frees up storage under the bed.