Cassette toilet - advice needed

_Catherine_

Featured Posts

Hello

I live on a 57ft Collingwood and want to switch from pump out to cassette toilet. In the absence of my research finding any such toilet that I can use electric flush and existing water and having a front cassette my only option seems to be the Thetford C263 unless someone can advise otherwise. No room for side cassette toilets.

Question that Thetford don't seem to supply...does the rear cassette come out flush with the floor/bottom of the toilet. This would not be an option due to the wardrobe plinth behind. Can anyone who has this model advise the height of cassette off the floor and dimensions of the cassette and whether the toilet could be raised to accommodate.

This is my first post, but don't want any going off at tangents as to why I wish to change and don't want composting toilet.

Sensible advice much appreciated.

3 minutes ago, _Catherine_ said:

Hello

I live on a 57ft Collingwood and want to switch from pump out to cassette toilet. In the absence of my research finding any such toilet that I can use electric flush and existing water and having a front cassette my only option seems to be the Thetford C263 unless someone can advise otherwise. No room for side cassette toilets.

Question that Thetford don't seem to supply...does the rear cassette come out flush with the floor/bottom of the toilet. This would not be an option due to the wardrobe plinth behind. Can anyone who has this model advise the height of cassette off the floor and dimensions of the cassette and whether the toilet could be raised to accommodate.

This is my first post, but don't want any going off at tangents as to why I wish to change and don't want composting toilet.

We have the very similar older c260 but not in a boat. The cassette does come out flush with the bottom of the toilet and slides directly out. The bottom of the toilet though is not flush with the floor it sits on. It is raised by about 2 to 3 cm from memory.

There is of course nothing to prevent it being fitted on a 10cm high plinth. But it would look odd and be at the wrong height for comfortable sitting perhaps?

On our boat when we switched the fitters sat it on a plinth to cover the damage to the floor. It wasnt anywhere near that high though.

Funny I have just installed a Thetford C263 in my boat to replace the compost toilet fitted by the previous owner (don't consider a composting toilet!) 

@The Happy Nomad is correct.....the cassette is perhaps 4cm above the floor on the C263. Here's a pic: 

Screenshot_20210929-154434_Gallery.jpg.dfb8d218fc4e73e48bb4a0e418244d2f.jpg

It could be mounted on a 6cm raised floor to give you the required 10cm to clear your plinth. The only snag is even on the floor the C263 ceramic is a bit on the high side compared to most toilets.....another 6cm might have your legs dangling! If you did go down this route I'd recommend you look at different models and get the lowest seat height you can find.....for instance the C262 has a seat height of 46.7cm compared to the 47.9cm on the C263 ceramic. Just don't buy a Dometic......people have had bad experiences with them. 

So would you be accessing the cassette from inside the wardrobe?

35 minutes ago, _Catherine_ said:

This is my first post, but don't want any going off at tangents as to why I wish to change

You'll be lucky!!

1 hour ago, _Catherine_ said:

Hello

No one will go off on a tangent, you are proving to be eminently sensible in two ways immediately. Firstly by removing the daft pumpout and secondly by not fitting an even dafter dump in a plastic bag so called composting bog.

• Greenie 2

2 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

There is of course nothing to prevent it being fitted on a 10cm high plinth. But it would look odd and be at the wrong height for comfortable sitting perhaps?

On our boat when we switched the fitters sat it on a plinth to cover the damage to the floor. It wasnt anywhere near that high though.

Thanks for that. Think I will have to use a plinth 

2 hours ago, booke23 said:

Funny I have just installed a Thetford C263 in my boat to replace the compost toilet fitted by the previous owner (don't consider a composting toilet!) 

@The Happy Nomad is correct.....the cassette is perhaps 4cm above the floor on the C263. Here's a pic: 

Screenshot_20210929-154434_Gallery.jpg.dfb8d218fc4e73e48bb4a0e418244d2f.jpg

It could be mounted on a 6cm raised floor to give you the required 10cm to clear your plinth. The only snag is even on the floor the C263 ceramic is a bit on the high side compared to most toilets.....another 6cm might have your legs dangling! If you did go down this route I'd recommend you look at different models and get the lowest seat height you can find.....for instance the C262 has a seat height of 46.7cm compared to the 47.9cm on the C263 ceramic. Just don't buy a Dometic......people have had bad experiences with them. 

So would you be accessing the cassette from inside the wardrobe?

You'll be lucky!!

Thanks for the picture and advice. First time on here so not got the hang of how I reply without using quote.

Yes I would be accessing through the wardrobe door. I can't take the wardrobe plinth out which would be useful as the shower pump is under there. I think even taking the bit below the access door out so the cassette came straight out onto the wardrobe plinth is actually about 13cm less the 3-4 cm the cassette is off toilet floor. See my pics. Even then there is slight the water supply and electric gubbins there that I may not get a smooth run out of the cassette even with raising the loo. Can you give me the c263 cassette measurements send thanks again.

20210929_183554.jpg

@mrsmelly I agree cassette option is best though problematic

20210929_183542.jpg

I'm not at the boat at the moment so can't give you the exact dimensions of the cassette. I found this Pic on the internet. 

8710315650464.jpg?20210309033731

It's a bit more than 205mm high when you take into account the orange discharge pipe....perhaps 245mm high. The hole I cut in the wall to access it was approx 35cm wide and 30cm high. 

Looking at your pictures that plinth is a bit of a nuisance. All the pipework and wiring can easily be dealt with though.

If it was me I'd be thinking of either cutting the plinth out and getting a bigger wardrobe door (£££) or more likely I'd carefully cut the bit of the plinth out needed for access and use flush fit hinges to turn it into a small door that you could open when you wanted to get the cassette out.

Also measure the width of the hole at the widest point where the top of the current toilet is....you want it to be 41.7cm or less as this is the width of the 'cistern' on a Thetford C263. Not a huge problem if the hole is bigger than that, but will just mean extra woodwork to plug the gap!

Just a further thought.

Our macerator was backed onto the bedroom bulkhead.

But when Aqua Narrow boats fit the cassette it was backed against the corridor wall. The cassette slid out into the corridor. They covered the cavity in the bulkhead that was left with matching wall board.

If yours is a walk through bathroom you can construct a wall for the loo to back/fix against.

Annoyingly I've lost the pics. of our installation.

Edit found all my old pics. Sorry about the watermark.

Screenshot_20210929-200821_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210929-200815_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210929-200807_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210929-201123_Chrome.jpg

Edited by The Happy Nomad

@booke23 thanks for all your sensible advice. My boyfriend is going to fit it but he hasn't seen all the gubbins behind the toilet yet. Cutting the plinth and adding door isn't a problem for him or my carpenter son. I will go and check the cassette measurements against taking it out of the wardrobe door and space between the bed. Would be useful if the Thetford site gave all measurements but they seem geared to caravans as do their dealers I have spoken to. Thanks again 

4 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Just a further thought.

But when Aqua Narrow boats fit the cassette it was backed against the corridor wall. The cassette slid out into the corridor. They covered the cavity in the bulkhead that was left with matching wall board.

If yours is a walk through bathroom you can construct a wall for the loo to back/fix against.

Bathroom is enclosed and toilet side backs against bedroom wardrobes

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Just a further thought.

Edit found all my old pics. Sorry about the watermark.

Screenshot_20210929-200821_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210929-200815_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210929-200807_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210929-201123_Chrome.jpg

A very good example in the use of a little plinth to get the level where you want it. In an ideal world you wouldn't really want to have the cassette accessed through a wardrobe. I'd be concerned over time, that the clothes in there would all start to smell of blue (or worse) A corridor access door like this would be ideal......I'm guessing @_Catherine_ just doesn't have any other options. 

Edited by booke23

@booke23 @mrsmelly @The Happy Nomad

Hello all. Just a thought but may be daft. The existing toilet is I believe a vetus(not on the boat at the moment) with electric flush and takes water from the tank. Is there anyway you could just reroute the waste pipe that goes into the holding tank to a Thetford cassette that is in the wardrobe without changing to a Thetford toilet. Have a shut valve or something on it.

2 minutes ago, _Catherine_ said:

Hello all. Just a thought but may be daft. The existing toilet is I believe a vetus(not on the boat at the moment) with electric flush and takes water from the tank. Is there anyway you could just reroute the waste pipe that goes into the holding tank to a Thetford cassette that is in the wardrobe without changing to a Thetford toilet. Have a shut valve or something on it.

Short answer no.

16 minutes ago, _Catherine_ said:

13 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Short answer no.

Agreed. 

I believe Leesan or Dometic did or does make a toilet with a remote cassette that can be installed anywhere, but I have no experience of these. 

12 minutes ago, booke23 said:

Agreed. 

I believe Leesan or Dometic did or does make a toilet with a remote cassette that can be installed anywhere, but I have no experience of these. 

I think @blackrose has one but Im not 100% sure.

If placing the unit on a plinth leaves legs dangling, surely one solution could be to use a bigger plinth so that the toilet AND the users feet are on the plinth. The answer to that might be defined by what else is at the existing floor level eg cupboard/shower/entrance door. Creative design called for!

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/09/2021 at 15:29, _Catherine_ said:

Please be aware that one of the lasting benefits of this forum is the fact that there are many and various tangents that have been explored.

The advice offered is usually good, often brilliant and always free.

If you understand and can work with this you will have a very rewarding experience.

Nick

You have certainly received the best advice.

A friend with a 12×60 Collingwood has done just this. They remove the cassette through the wardrobe, it helps if the bed isn't in the way.

I suggested that they swap the shower and toilet round to remove the cassette into the corridor to keep it out of the wardrobe.  They haven't yet.

The holding tank is big and awkward, they needed help as it is quite difficult to get it out and off the boat.  They are happy to be rid of it.

11 hours ago, Peanut said:

I suggested that they swap the shower and toilet round to remove the cassette into the corridor to keep it out of the wardrobe.

In an ideal world this is what you would do. Certainly in my case a total reconfiguration of my bathroom and shower would have made for a perfect cassette toilet installation. But done properly that's a big job, and I really couldn't be bothered with it!