TV Aerial

Dave .Morialta

Featured Posts

11 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

Certainly does, but he uses catchup services also which doesn't.  Just a small change in how he views.....

According to tvlicensing web site you need a licence to watch any content on iPlayer.

Quote from https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one

You also need to be covered to download or watch BBC programmes on BBC iPlayer – live, catch up or on demand. This applies to any device and provider you use

2 minutes ago, Grassman said:

We have a TV licence.

Thats fine then, but just so you know a small change to how you view content and you don't require one. Plus you could ditch the PVR etc as using catchup they record it all for you.... the downside is the ads.... but its all free plus you save £159 a year.. :)

7 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

According to tvlicensing web site you need a licence to watch any content on iPlayer.

Quote from https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one

You also need to be covered to download or watch BBC programmes on BBC iPlayer – live, catch up or on demand. This applies to any device and provider you use

Thats true, that's why I said if he also doesn't watch BBC....

Edited by robtheplod

1 minute ago, robtheplod said:

Thats fine then, but just so you know a small change to how you view content and you don't require one.

Thanks, but I'm fine because I'm happy to pay for one to support the BBC.

Please people, don't turn my comment into yet another TV licence debate because that's been covered to death on here already :) .

• Greenie 3

15 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

Thats fine then, but just so you know a small change to how you view content and you don't require one. Plus you could ditch the PVR etc as using catchup they record it all for you.... the downside is the ads.... but its all free plus you save £159 a year.. :)

I think you edited the BBC comment in after I read your post.

7 hours ago, Grassman said:

Please people, don't turn my comment into yet another TV licence debate because that's been covered to death on here already :) .

Yes but only 271 times.

The topic still has a long way to go to catch up with best toilet choices. 🤣

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Grassman said:

Well said that (grass)man. I too am happy to support the BBC. And as for @robtheplod's comment about making a small change to viewing habits meaning that you have to watch adverts.... that is not a small change but imo a huge change. Well worth paying the licence fee (that I want to pay anyway) to avoid having to watch adverts.

• Greenie 2

We have a maxview omnimax. Replaced the connecting cable after eight or so years and that has improved reception. Saying that, it works over 90% of the time for us. When it doesn't,  no TV, no big deal. Always available on catch up.

Most of the programmes we want to watch are on the terrestrial channels anyway. Not getting a signal the odd time is no problem. Just get the kindle out and enjoy the peace and quiet and tonight, the drum of rain on the roof! 

9 hours ago, johnmck said:

We have a maxview omnimax. Replaced the connecting cable after eight or so years and that has improved reception. Saying that, it works over 90% of the time for us. When it doesn't,  no TV, no big deal. Always available on catch up.

Most of the programmes we want to watch are on the terrestrial channels anyway. Not getting a signal the odd time is no problem. Just get the kindle out and enjoy the peace and quiet and tonight, the drum of rain on the roof! 

When we used to have hireboat or share boat holidays we weren't particularly bothered about not getting a TV signal, in fact it was quite refreshing and part of the 'getting away from it all' experience. But nowadays, living aboard (8 years and counting) and cruising extensively, it's more of an issue, but at least there's catch up if there's something we really want to watch.

32 minutes ago, Grassman said:

When we used to have hireboat or share boat holidays we weren't particularly bothered about not getting a TV signal, in fact it was quite refreshing and part of the 'getting away from it all' experience. But nowadays, living aboard (8 years and counting) and cruising extensively, it's more of an issue, but at least there's catch up if there's something we really want to watch.

Only if you've got a decent data rate mobile signal, and in my experience many places with poor TV reception also have slow or even non-existent mobile reception... :-(

3 minutes ago, IanD said:

Only if you've got a decent data rate mobile signal, and in my experience many places with poor TV reception also have slow or even non-existent mobile reception... :-(

True, but catch up programmes are usually available for a while so there's the option of waiting until you move to a better area for a signal. We rarely stay in one place for more than a couple of days so don't find it an issue.

1 hour ago, Grassman said:

True, but catch up programmes are usually available for a while so there's the option of waiting until you move to a better area for a signal. We rarely stay in one place for more than a couple of days so don't find it an issue.

True for watching at a later date, but your post read as if you could use streaming/catchup as an alternative when there's no TV reception -- even if that's not what you meant... 😉