TV Aerial

Dave .Morialta

Featured Posts

On 30/09/2021 at 15:55, robtheplod said:

Get a Roku as in the link earlier... easy to use and gives your TV everything it needs if you also have WiFi on the boat?

Been setting one up today for the boat, I was sceptical but it appears to work well.

Only downside is I havent been able to get casting to work so may have to retain the Chromecast as well depends on how much I need it.;)

Have ordered a 4k one for home so I can ditch the tablet etc and C might be able to use it instead of asking me to find stuff.

• Greenie 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all thanks for all the replies and some very interesting discussions regarding TV licensing and the BBC. I resolved the issue with the Maxi Veiw qube by taking it off its mounting and extending the cable to the other end of the NB away from obstructions, works fine now. Basically it appears regardless of aerial or sat dish if you can't position the thing with an un-obstructed view then its hit and miss if you get a signal or not, I have to say streaming is an option as we do that as well but that can also be reliant on signal strength, airtime provider and location. At a previous marina i had an O2 phone. HS2 started work very close by and the signal to o2 disappeared overnight, after long  conversations with o2 tech they admitted that there was nothing they could do and suggested I try a different provider. Thanks Everyone 

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, robtheplod said:

Always find it amusing why people go to such lengths to get TV when its easier to use 3g/4g etc....  :)

Some of us prefer to watch broadcast TV rather than streamed stuff....

• Greenie 4

:)   3g/4g isnt just streamed - you can get live as well so all that you get via an aerial..... just saves positioning antennas etc..  I dont mean to offend, just offering easier ways than climbing on roofs etc... Sorry if you think I'm being lazy Tony!  Climbing on roofs can be hazardous?

Edited by robtheplod

1 hour ago, robtheplod said:

:)   3g/4g isnt just streamed - you can get live as well so all that you get via an aerial..... just saves positioning antennas etc..  I dont mean to offend, just offering easier ways than climbing on roofs etc... Sorry if you think I'm being lazy Tony!  Climbing on roofs can be hazardous?

Can I get BBC or Two One streamed apart from using Iplayer?

2 minutes ago, Idle Days said:

Thanks for that, I do find iPlayer a bit of a faff compared to using an aerial. 

I suppose it all depends on your setup Ian. If you go fully 'online' with TV then you'd use something like Roku which is very simple to use.

How Roku Streaming TV Works | Roku United Kingdom

One question to those who watch TV via an aerial - do you record anything (and if so how) or do you make sure you're available and ready when your programme broadcasts?

Because I had a sensible boat (cruiser stern with gas tank) I gave up climbing on roofs. A brass cup screwed to the cockpit floor beside the tank. A musen ring above it to accept a re-purposed three section extendible mast and a log periodic aerial plus signal finder. All could be set up and working without climbing anywhere in well under 5 minutes.

Still wondering how you get 3 or 4g for free though.

Here you go. An image of the munsen ring with finger screws for tightening once alignment is correct plus the cup below it.

TV Aerial 1.jpg

Edited by Tony Brooks
  • Greenie 1

Just now, Tony Brooks said:

Because I had a sensible boat (cruiser stern with gas tank) I gave up climbing on roofs. A brass cup screwed to the cockpit floor beside the tank. A musen ring above it to accept a re-purposed three section extendible mast and a log [eriodic aerial plus signal finder. All could be set up and working without climbing anywhere in well under 5 minutes.

sounds like a good setup...

I don't get 3g/4g free  -this is a paid subscription as per any other internet access .... i have internet access for other needs and just tag on TV to it.... 

The cost of the 3G/4G is offset from not needing a TV licence in my case.

1 minute ago, Hudds Lad said:

I'm starting to think Rob is on retainer with Roku :D 

other services are available.... :)

its just the one i use... tried Amazon firestick and it was tied to them a bit too much.

I suppose it all depends on your setup Ian. If you go fully 'online' with TV then you'd use something like Roku which is very simple to use.

How Roku Streaming TV Works | Roku United Kingdom

One question to those who watch TV via an aerial - do you record anything (and if so how) or do you make sure you're available and ready when your programme broadcasts?

We record lots of stuff via the aerial onto a PVR. This enables us to wizz through the adverts which you can't do when streaming on ITV Hub, All 4 etc. We can also start watching an ITV programme before it has finished recording which ITV Hub doesn't let you do. We do do the streaming thing when we have to but much prefer the PVR.

• Greenie 1

At home or when on the boat we use Humax products (there are a whole range of machines for terrestrial or satellite propogation) and you can record individual programmes or a series as you wish.

When we stop cruising we put up the dish / aerial, find the signal and turn on the recorder.  The TV is left off until it's needed..

Seemples

ps: we have two boxes one for terrestrial, t'other for satellite. An HDMI switch selects whichever recorder is powered up.

The aerial or dish hve the same fitting (a short length of ali: tubing fixed to the anchor on the front deck) and which system depends on whether there are trees in the way of the terrestrial signal or a clear view of the Astra satellites.

Simple  to do more invoved to describe!

• Greenie 1

18 minutes ago, Alway Swilby said:

We record lots of stuff via the aerial onto a PVR. This enables us to wizz through the adverts which you can't do when streaming on ITV Hub, All 4 etc. We can also start watching an ITV programme before it has finished recording which ITV Hub doesn't let you do. We do do the streaming thing when we have to but much prefer the PVR.

thanks.

12 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

At home or when on the boat we use Humax products (there are a whole range of machines for terrestrial or satellite propogation) and you can record individual programmes or a series as you wish.

When we stop cruising we put up the dish / aerial, find the signal and turn on the recorder.  The TV is left off until it's needed..

Seemples

ps: we have two boxes one for terrestrial, t'other for satellite. An HDMI switch selects whichever recorder is powered up.

The aerial or dish hve the same fitting (a short length of ali: tubing fixed to the anchor on the front deck) and which system depends on whether there are trees in the way of the terrestrial signal or a clear view of the Astra satellites.

Simple  to do more invoved to describe!

That's pretty comprehensive!  What happens if you're cruising and a programme is on you want to record...... :)

6 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

That's pretty comprehensive!  What happens if you're cruising and a programme is on you want to record...... :)

Tough....

Actually, on occasion The Management makes a strong representation (tells me...)  and we stop. I don't watch football etc. Surprisingly   our viewing is in the evenings and the record function is for programme clashes.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

That's the easy bit😎

Not totally free but as near as: .

I use Smarty and in the last 12 months I have paid for one month @ £15 and had 7 months of free internet because I get others to sign up using this link

https://i.smarty.co.uk/juliant-139

They also get a free month 😉

I still have five months to use up and £70 user credit waiting to be used all from recommendations.

So by this time next year I will have paid a grand total of £15 for 2years unlimited internet access 😱

• Greenie 1

19 hours ago, Alway Swilby said:

This is exactly what we do with our TV & PVR combination. We never watch live TV but will sometimes watch the recording 5-10 minutes behind so as to zip past the adverts. We do that with the News bulletins too.

Since we changed to the higher quality quad core cable (my earlier thread) we get a terrestrial signal pretty much everywhere and most of our TV choices are evenings when we're moored up. My wife does like a few of those inane afternoon progs but we're normally stopped for the day by lunchtime anyway, and if there's something she particularly wants she can use catch up tv via the internet.

6 minutes ago, Grassman said:

This is exactly what we do with our TV & PVR combination. We never watch live TV but will sometimes watch the recording 5-10 minutes behind so as to zip past the adverts. We do that with the News bulletins too.

Since we changed to the higher quality quad core cable (my earlier thread) we get a terrestrial signal pretty much everywhere and most of our TV choices are evenings when we're moored up. My wife does like a few of those inane afternoon progs but we're normally stopped for the day by lunchtime anyway, and if there's something she particularly wants she can use catch up tv via the internet.

Just for info..... if you can cope with adverts and don't watch BBC, then you could cancel your licence as you don't watch live TV...

Edited by robtheplod