Leeds & Liverpool Lock 31

Midnight

Featured Posts

Received a stoppage notice re lock 31 sounds serious as the notice asked any boaters considering transiting that stretch contact them. I did but the call centre knew nothing further and asked me for contact details. Is anyone on here at Gargrave  who could give us an on the spot assessment of the situation?

2 hours ago, Midnight said:

Received a stoppage notice re lock 31 sounds serious as the notice asked any boaters considering transiting that stretch contact them. I did but the call centre knew nothing further and asked me for contact details. Is anyone on here at Gargrave  who could give us an on the spot assessment of the situation?

Don't know!

But I do know that I am devoutly pissed off with closed canals.I am moored in Huddersfield and I think we northern boaters have had a very raw deal from CRT.

48 hours notice to transit lock 1E, (when the HNC has some water in it) 

Huddersfield Broad shut due to low water,opened on Saturday,closed UFN on Sunday,due to low water.

Had planned my last longish cruise of the year from Huddersfield to Froghall Basin on the Caldon canal, but navigation warnings for low water on the Rochdale, the Trent and Mersey and most of the Caldon is closed due to low water.

I go to the boat,make a cup of coffee,switch the heater on and watch a bit of telly and generally potter around cos I can't go anywhere.

I can do that in my garden shed and it won't cost me anything!

Have advertised the boat for sale,and if and when it sells will probably buy a dirty great Harley Davidson.I will probably get more use out of it than a canal boat.

Sorry to use your post to vent my frustration,

I am now going for a beer.

• Greenie 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Midnight said:

I don't think it will be much help but I'll be there Saturday. I believe it may be another sink hole type of thing as it came up in conversation Saturday just gone. It's something that has been a problem for a while apparently. 

• Greenie 1

As I recall when we came through last week, that lock had the worst pissers of all of them, and they are mostly bad. Water leaking through the walls and into the surrounding soil when the lock is full and then running back into the lock, carrying soil with it when the lock is empty is not exactly difficult to diagnose, so the subsequent sink holes are not really an unexpected Act of God either.

We passed a crew injecting foam into embankments in Burnley to try and fix leaks. Maybe they should have a go at locks too?

MP. 

We locked up and down Gargrave in late August and  I was concerned that some of bulging stones would soon need attention. They may have been like this for many years but given this was my most recent usage of this lock since the late nineties they caught my attention. 

1 hour ago, MoominPapa said:

As I recall when we came through last week, that lock had the worst pissers of all of them, and they are mostly bad. Water leaking through the walls and into the surrounding soil when the lock is full and then running back into the lock, carrying soil with it when the lock is empty is not exactly difficult to diagnose, so the subsequent sink holes are not really an unexpected Act of God either.

We passed a crew injecting foam into embankments in Burnley to try and fix leaks. Maybe they should have a go at locks too?

MP. 

It was in recent memory that they did inject foam into those locks. Maybe foam isn't a long term fix. All three Pennine routes are a disaster. We set out in May and have been prepared for the possibility of no way back ever since. CRT have been a disaster for boaters. Mr Parry should be ashamed.

Just now, Midnight said:

It was in recent memory that they did inject foam into those locks. Maybe foam isn't a long term fix. All three Pennine routes are a disaster. We set out in May and have been prepared for the possibility of no way back ever since. CRT have been a disaster for boaters. Mr Parry should be ashamed.

I shan't relax until I get to Middlewich.

MP.

Spoke to CRT this morning.

They are taking boats through by bow hauling only, 9.30am to 4.00pm, Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

The lock will then be closed until it is repaired.

We are hoping to take Ribble through last on Saturday, so that if our 14ft 3ins beam comes to grief, nobody else will be held up.

20 hours ago, DRP said:

Spoke to CRT this morning.

They are taking boats through by bow hauling only, 9.30am to 4.00pm, Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

The lock will then be closed until it is repaired.

We are hoping to take Ribble through last on Saturday, so that if our 14ft 3ins beam comes to grief, nobody else will be held up.

Please let us know how you get on and the state of the lock

Credit where credit is due. We came down the Wigan flight this morning, and it was an easy run. The flight is in a much better state than I remember the last time we used it, about five years ago. It still has a lot of copious pissers though.

MP.

Sorry for the late update. Don't have internet on the boat.

Ribble got through Eshton Road lock easily on Saturday afternoon.

There was quite substantial bulging of the wall, but there was room to spare.

The word from CRT was that the lock is now closed until it is repaired.

• 6 months later...

Hi,

We are looking to cruise up towards Skipton in the next few weeks and we see that lock 31 closure has just been extended towards the end of May (possibly longer).  Looking at the C&R site it says the locks before 31 (41-33)are now navigable, my question:

1) can you still turnaround in the winding hole before lock 32

2) is there usually space to moor at the moorings below lock 32 or are they normally busy?

Many thanks

1 hour ago, Greyfox said:

We are looking to cruise up towards Skipton in the next few weeks and we see that lock 31 closure has just been extended towards the end of May (possibly longer).  Looking at the C&R site it says the locks before 31 (41-33)are now navigable, my question:

1) can you still turnaround in the winding hole before lock 32

2) is there usually space to moor at the moorings below lock 32 or are they normally busy?

1) Yes.  The winding hole at Gargrave Services / Higherland Lock 32 is usable you just can't go through the next lock, but there's no mooring between 32 and 31 anyway because of the shape of the banksides.

2) There's usually space available between 33 and 32 on the services pound where the winding hole is.  If it's full because everyone else is waiting for the lock to open just wind and go back up one or two locks towards Bank Newton where there are some nice towpath spots.

This obviously assumes you are dropping down from the summit towards Gargrave.  If you are coming up from Leeds end you will get to Skipton about 5 miles before you reach the closed lock!

Dear "The Biscuits",

Many thanks for your detailed response, that is extremely helpful and appreciated!

We will be coming up from the Wigan way so will be approaching lock 32 but do not intend to go further due to the closures.

we will moor up and walk to Skipton along the tow path.

Thanks again and I wish you a good evening.

GF

4 minutes ago, Greyfox said:

we will moor up and walk to Skipton along the tow path.

There's also a bus or train if you don't fancy the walk.

5 minutes ago, Greyfox said:

Many thanks for your detailed response, that is extremely helpful and appreciated!

No problem, and welcome to the forum.