eBay boat possible good buy?

MrsM

Featured Posts

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Narrowboat-50ft-Traditional-Stern-/194388530273?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

I am not in the market but spotted this boat on eBay recently. At only 2 years old (& 2-packed hull) it seems like it could be a good buy for someone. Obviously it isn't set up for cruising and would need some money spending to equip it for being used as a actual boat rather than a floating caravan. Anyway I thought I'd share in case it fits the bill for someone.

• Greenie 2

Well spotted. Whether it's a bargain depends on how much the new owner needs to spend on it. For starters there's no furniture (not even a bed, it seems). There's only one leisure battery, so for cruising it would ideally need another one, and the somewhat antiseptic interior would need a coat or two of paint. Then it would need a viable form of heating, and a gas or oil cooker....the costs could soon mount steeply.

It's probably a good buy for someone who wants to live in  marina and go out just for day trips.

It does seem a bit odd, fully rebuilt engine? after 2 years? Could be a bargain though, I once sold a boat for less than I could have got just to get it off my hands and spend the money on something else that I thought was cheapish.

• Greenie 1

Decent inverter etc needed. Be interesting to know if anyone here has been to look at it. I suspect Tony's caution is justified. Aaaaah - composting toilet, that will have knocked a few grand off! 😄 I wonder how many new boats get fitted with a rebuilt engine? Is this quite a common money-saving practice? I'm intrigued.

Edited by MrsM
  • Greenie 1

14 minutes ago, MrsM said:

Decent inverter etc needed. Be interesting to know if anyone here has been to look at it. I suspect Tony's caution is justified. Aaaaah - composting toilet, that will have knocked a few grand off! 😄 I wonder how many new boats get fitted with a rebuilt engine? Is this quite a common money-saving practice? I'm intrigued.

I suspect its a home fitted job and maybe does not have the paperwork to satisfy brokers, so the owner wants shot. That might explain the price.  And if so, a marinised secondary Kubota industrial engine may well be a money saving thing.  I would not take the Beta as necessarily being true.

• Greenie 2

16 minutes ago, MrsM said:

! 😄 I wonder how many new boats get fitted with a rebuilt engine? Is this quite a common money-saving practice? I'm intrigued.

Not unknown, though I think it's a rather cheeseparing way of doing things. I wonder if it's actually a rebuild or just an example of paint engineering.

That said, our boat has one!

10 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I suspect its a home fitted job and maybe does not have the paperwork to satisfy brokers, so the owner wants shot. That might explain the price.  And if so, a marinised secondary Kubota industrial engine may well be a money saving thing.  I would not take the Beta as necessarily being true.

The advert does say "with conformity certificate" which could mean the 'whole boat" or, it could be just the Hull / Shell.

If it is  non-compliant then it cannot legally be sold for another 3 years - hence the low price

Might suit the people who think they want a sailaway but then realise just how much work it needs to be habitable. A bed, seating, batteries/inverter/solar and getting a stove installed and working on the blandness of the decor is a more manageable "project".

I guess you'd need an expert to assess the validity of the RCD conformity it's claiming...

• Greenie 1

26 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The advert does say "with conformity certificate" which could mean the 'whole boat" or, it could be just the Hull / Shell.

If it is  non-compliant then it cannot legally be sold for another 3 years - hence the low price

I read that as being for the hull only. More investigation needed.

• Greenie 1

59 minutes ago, MrsM said:

Just added thousands on for me and many others.

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, MrsM said:

Mine was fitted with a second hand engine 

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The answer is in,

It was supplied to her as a sailaway and the 'certificate' was to the Hull only stage.

The 'necessary conformity certificate is the 'BSS'

It was a DIY fit out.

It is illegal for her to sell it for another 3 years.

Not quite true. 

It is illegal for her the "bring it to market" for another three years, i.e. even offer it for sale.

I suggest you ring the police who will scream around there with sirens blaring and arrest her, no doubt, when they hear about this serious crime. 

• Greenie 1