Generator Advice

andybarrett1

Featured Posts

I have the 2000i (1600w continuous) and have no complaints - 100% happy.

It is not a 'Honda' and is a little more noisy (but still very quiet) and is allegedly built in the same factory as the Honda's.

You won't do better for the money.

Just remember, both it and the petrol should be stored in a locker to the same specification as your gas locker and you should not run it (or refuel it) on the boat, it should only be

used on the bank-side and downwind of the boat. - check the BSS guidance on generators.

Edit to add link :

Microsoft Word - NR008-15 BSS warns of the dangers of using generators aboard WEB FINAL Nov (boatsafetyscheme.org)

Edited by Alan de Enfield

2 hours ago, andybarrett1 said:

Hi all 

Just looking for thoughts good or bad on these generator packs 

Kipor Generators

Thank you 

Andy

"Lightweight at only 29.5 kg."

I struggled, (but managed), with a Honda EU20i for 8 years, and that was "only" 21kg. When it eventually failed, I replaced it with the EU10i at 13kg.... much more manageable and genuinely lightweight.

If you are on a narrowboat and have to lug 29.5kg in and out of its' secure gas tight locker space, onto the bank, then back on board again when you're done, you will be truly hacked of that you didnt buy something lighter.

What are you planning to power with it. An EU20i equivalent will power an 80A charger, and an EU10i will power a 50A charger.

19 hours ago, andybarrett1 said:

Hi all 

Just looking for thoughts good or bad on these generator packs 

Kipor Generators

Thank you 

Andy

I have that exact generator.  They don't make it any more, hence 'out of stock'.  It's been replaced by https://www.kiporuk.co.uk/digital-generator/ig2600-spark-generator-947-54-539.php

Which I assume is much the same.  It's an excellent generator, only marginally noisier than a Honda and a lot cheaper.

My most power hungry appliance draws 2100w so the Honda EU20i won't manage and the EU30i cost £2500 and weighs 35kg so is a non-starter for me.

The Kipor/Spark is just right for me.  29.5kg isn't really that heavy, despite what some feeble forum members might think.  A bag of coal weighs 25kg and I'm frequently hoisting multiple bags onto the boat roof.  I have a cruiser stern and the genny is keep on there, locked up and with a rain cover over it.  When I need to use it, I just lift it off and put it on the bank, easy.

The new version is 22kg by the way.

Edited by doratheexplorer

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Kipor Sinemaster 1000 which is acksherly specced at 900VI so don't be misled by the 1000.

I ran it on petrol for bit then converted it to gas.  So much better and cheaper!

N