What's a coper?

Midnight

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, Midnight said:

Notice this morning from CRT re Sandon lock

"A stoppage is required to carry our repairs to a number of copers."

According to Wiki a Coper is a horse dealer.

Make of that what you will.

4 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

In these modern times, do we still have Constables?

I thinks so yes.

https://www.met.police.uk/car/careers/met/police-officer-roles/police-constable/overview/

'Police Officer' is a generic term for all ranks I believe, and of course encompasses both male and female officers. Rather like Fire Fighter.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

30 minutes ago, MtB said:

It being a well known fact that police officers are in fact an integral part of the structure of a lock, and often need repairing. 

Not well known at all. In fact, as somebody once remarked, not many people know that.

Perhaps it's a misprint for "toper", who alas are sometimes found in locks.

Edited by Athy

3 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Why not Female fireman?Conductor or conductress? Why do we refer to a Nurse that is not female as a male nurse? Actor or Actress? 

Do 'we'?

If somebody asks me what I used to do I just said I was a 'nurse'. There really wasn't/isn't a reason to mention the fact I happened to be male.

As for firefighter vs. Female Fire Man, well there's not a lot I can say really.

1 hour ago, Nightwatch said:

In these modern times, do we still have Constables? (That is not in anyway questioning your comment). 

I understand that all "Police" are "Constable" (plus whatever rank they happen to be) - it allows a Chief Superintendent to direct traffic as, in law, they are a "Constable in Uniform" [assuming they are in uniform] without having to trouble the lawmakers to redraft several thousand regulations if there is a slight amendment. Traffic Wardens (amongst others) are not, so "go on Gov, back up this one way street" would be unlawful.

3 hours ago, Midnight said:

Notice this morning from CRT re Sandon lock

"A stoppage is required to carry our repairs to a number of copers."

Presumably since on the whole C&RT don't cope, the few stalwart copers who do cope need repairs more often?

• Greenie 3
  • Haha 1