Boat Prices and Current Market

CanalRetentive

Featured Posts

49 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

Selling not buying, so not my survey.

Misunderstood, just read it was a 'selling survey' without realising it was a survey by a buyer on your boat.

Some people have a survey done prior to them selling the boat to save the buyer the 'trouble' of having a survey.

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Misunderstood, just read it was a 'selling survey' without realising it was a survey by a buyer on your boat.

Some people have a survey done prior to them selling the boat to save the buyer the 'trouble' of having a survey.

In my experience every alternate enquiry for a boat for sale asks to see a "recent survey", so I can see why.

• Greenie 2

I'm new to this as well, I just persevered and eventually it paid off, had chancers trying it on for the last before I purchased, wanted an extra £10k lol, told them to shove it then found one that was a lot better and at a price I was very happy with.

Hang in there it will happenIMG-20210812-WA0003.jpg.1f660038ac5d79c29aebf0ac320cf0b0.jpg

2 hours ago, MtB said:

In my experience every alternate enquiry for a boat for sale asks to see a "recent survey", so I can see why.

OK there are surveys and surveys, but as a recent buyer I agree it is definitely a level of reassurance, particularly in a fast moving market where you may need to buy without time to have your own survey done.

We have not had a survey. We have a 170 year old boat and fully comprehensive insurance without one and didn't feel it would add any value under the circumstances. A friend has just bought a 116 year old boat without one too - in both cases it relates to specific reasons to have confidence in the file of paperwork which came with the boat.

Alec

4 minutes ago, agg221 said:

OK there are surveys and surveys, but as a recent buyer I agree it is definitely a level of reassurance, particularly in a fast moving market where you may need to buy without time to have your own survey done.

I think this rather sums it up. Although this forum is terribly sniffy about surveys provided by the sellers, I'm reasonably confident they get a boat sold for more money and more quickly than by telling the prospective purchaser they'll need to get their own done. 

Edited by MtB
  • Greenie 1

15 hours ago, MtB said:

I think this rather sums it up. Although this forum is terribly sniffy about surveys provided by the sellers, I'm reasonably confident they get a boat sold for more money and more quickly than by telling the prospective purchaser they'll need to get their own done. 

Quite true - also, seeing a survey that looks ‘OK’ also gives a bit more confidence in investing a grand to get your own survey done (I always have at the back of my mind the speed at which keeping up’s boat deteriorated)