Boat Prices and Current Market

CanalRetentive

Featured Posts

9 minutes ago, BrandyMark said:

You need to re read your insulting post! You made up that I was somehow complaining about "life isn't fair" when my comment was very specific about the actions of one broker and then went on to suggest that I need to do some legwork and not sit on my backside when clearly you can have no knowledge of the amount of effort I have made in my search for a boat. If you cannot see your remarks were offensive then you need help.

If you are going to live on the canals, you are going to need to develop a much thicker skin that you currently appear to possess.

12 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

My my what sensitive soul you appear to be.

No just someone who isn't desensitised to how needlessly mean this forum can be.  BrandyMark has a difficult time finding a boat and has expressed that, as is his right.  His difficult time has been made harder by one or more brokerages habitually sending out details of boats which are already sold.  This thread has given some good reasons why a brokerage might do that. 

None of this makes it ok to make personal derogatory comments or to put words in people's mouths.  BrandyMark has never said "life isn't fair" despite posts claiming he did.

Edited by doratheexplorer
  • Greenie 4

3 minutes ago, BrandyMark said:

Yet another offensive remark, sort of proves my point so thank you for that.

Well come on.

Nobody has said anything insulting at all. You are just a bit miffed because nobody joined in when you complained about RBS. 

So have spoken to them yet? Like I suggested several posts back? If so what did they say?

Edited by The Happy Nomad

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

If you are going to live on the canals, you are going to need to develop a much thicker skin that you currently appear to possess.

I do live on the canals and have done so for many years unlike the persons being offensive who seem to be ex boaters.

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

No just someone who isn't desensitised to how needlessly mean this forum can be.  BrandyMark has a difficult time finding a boat and has expressed that, as is his right.  His difficult time has been made harder by one or more brokerages habitually sending out details of boats which are already sold.  This thread has given some good reasons why a brokerage might do that. 

None of this makes it ok to make personal derogatory comments or to put words in people's mouths.  BrandyMark has never said "life isn't fair" despite posts claiming he did.

Some just tell it as it is.

Talking about 'heartache' is just ridiculous. Heartache is what happens when somebody dies or you lose a beloved pet. Not because you can't find a boat you want.

2 minutes ago, BrandyMark said:

I do live on the canals and have done so for many years unlike the persons being offensive who seem to be ex boaters.

Living on a boat or even having one is not a pre requisite to forum membership.

Hope that clears that little point up.

So I'll ask again have you rung RBS and discussed your complaint with them, if so what did they say?

5 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Some just tell it as it is.

Talking about 'heartache' is just ridiculous. Heartache is what happens when somebody dies or you lose a beloved pet. Not because you can't find a boat you want.

Living on a boat or even having one is not a pre requisite to forum membership.

Hope that clears that little point up.

So I'll ask again have you rung RBS and discussed your complaint with them, if so what did they say?

Anyone can join and participate in this forum! you do surprise me. Boats have always been part of my life so maybe mean more to me than you. Regarding RBS, they were contacted regarding their mailing list as stated in my original post. 

Anyone can join and participate in this forum! you do surprise me. Boats have always been part of my life so maybe mean more to me than you. Regarding RBS, they were contacted regarding their mailing list as stated in my original post. 

On a point of detail. It's primarily a canal and waterways forum not specifically a boating one.

But as you raise the issue I've been boating on and off since aged 9. 

HTH

5 minutes ago, BrandyMark said:

Regarding RBS, they were contacted regarding their mailing list as stated in my original post. 

You actually said you emailed them and got no response.

I asked subsequently have you rung and spoken to them?

So that's a 'no' then you haven't?

The RBS website currently shows 5 boats not under offer or sold.

Now they very well may not have had time to update the website but it would be worth ringing if any are of interest.

Includes this very nice example. Which if it isnt sold by Monday I will be extremely surprised.

https://rugbyboats.co.uk/listings/pilgrim-5710-trad-2003-barry-hawkins/

23 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

You actually said you emailed them and got no response.

I asked subsequently have you rung and spoken to them?

So that's a 'no' then you haven't?

You are correct, I have not called them. I am the customer! RBS could have made a great deal of cash from my custom, clearly they are making enough in the current market so feel they do not have to respond to emails, up to them but I am not going to chase them with phone calls. I may loose out on a boat purchase but I am happy to take my custom to a more considerate broker.

Edited by BrandyMark

3 minutes ago, BrandyMark said:

You are correct, I have not called them. I am the customer! RBS could have made a great deal of cash from my custom, clearly they are making enough in the current market so feel they do not have to respond to emails, up to them but I am not going to chase them with phone calls. I may loose out on a boat purchase but I am happy to take my custom to a more considerate broker.

Yes why bother calling them when you can just moan about them on an internet forum. 🤣🤣🤣

There is a loaad of reasons why they could have missed your email but rather than try and find out what might have gone wrong you just thought you would try and spoil their reputation using social media.

I find that a bit pathetic really. But see the same on the internet all the time.

Good luck with your search.

10 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Yes why bother calling them when you can just moan about them on an internet forum. 🤣🤣🤣

There is a loaad of reasons why they could have missed your email but rather than try and find out what might have gone wrong you just thought you would try and spoil their reputation using social media.

I find that a bit pathetic really. But see the same on the internet all the time.

Good luck with your search.

Resorting to personal insult again and you call me pathetic. This forum is all about people giving their views which you may or may not agree with. I do wonder if you have some connection with RBS as you seem so offended by anyone who raises an issue with them.

Edited by BrandyMark

8 minutes ago, BrandyMark said:

Resorting to personal insult again and you call me pathetic. This forum is all about people giving their views which you may or may not agree with. I do wonder if you have some connection with RBS as you seem so offended by anyone who raises an issue with them.

Unfortunately, there are some truly nasty pieces of work here, (as there are on most internet forums), and some who, whilst not nasty pieces of work, are somewhat intolerant.

It is not unusual for someone new to the forum, who does not approach an issue in "the right way", (whatever that is?), to receive responses similar to those you have received and, very often, we never see them again.

However, the place is extremely useful and helpful when you have a problem with your boat, or need some info about a bit of the canal network, etc.... so I could suggest that it is worth hanging around. You can actually put those you dont want to hear from on "ignore" so, whilst you will see that they have posted, you have to make a bit of an effort to peek at what they have said.

You probably already have a reasonable list of those you might ignore, and there are a few more you haven't seen yet, who might also qualify.

Out of the hundreds of members here, (maybe thousands?), you could probably count on two hands and two feet those who could end up on your ignore list.

Personally, I would not put MtB on ignore :) 

• Greenie 4

51 minutes ago, BrandyMark said:

None what so ever other than we bought and sold our boat using them, all be it under previous ownership. Had excellent service on both occasions. 

I'm not 'offended; as you put it I'm just putting my views across, which as you know is what the forum is for.

Who else has raised an issue about them? as your last sentence implies there are others. I can't ever recall anyone else other than you raise a complaint about them.

I wasn't calling 'you' pathetic BTW, I was saying the process of complaining on the internet about a company before giving them chance to respond is. There is a subtle difference.

32 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

Unfortunately, there are some truly nasty pieces of work here, (as there are on most internet forums), and some who, whilst not nasty pieces of work, are somewhat intolerant.

It is not unusual for someone new to the forum, who does not approach an issue in "the right way", (whatever that is?), to receive responses similar to those you have received and, very often, we never see them again.

However, the place is extremely useful and helpful when you have a problem with your boat, or need some info about a bit of the canal network, etc.... so I could suggest that it is worth hanging around. You can actually put those you dont want to hear from on "ignore" so, whilst you will see that they have posted, you have to make a bit of an effort to peek at what they have said.

You probably already have a reasonable list of those you might ignore, and there are a few more you haven't seen yet, who might also qualify.

Out of the hundreds of members here, (maybe thousands?), you could probably count on two hands and two feet those who could end up on your ignore list.

Shooting from the hip again Richard? And missing, again.

He joined in 2018 and has made over a hundred posts so far from 'new to the forum'.

I did actually check (you clearly didn't) If he had been new I would have been a lot less forthright.

But yes I agree, if you want the forum just to be an echo chamber where one only only reads things that agree with your point of view and position then the ignore function is ideal for that purpose (Until somebody quotes the person you are ignoring of course).

35 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

Thanks for the advise. I think I need to make a decision if it's worth putting up with the trolls because of the benefits of forum membership. My current thinking is that I probably give more including hard cash to this forum than I take from it.  Regarding MtB, to tell someone to "get a life" from the safety of his keyboard is a good example of how not to behave on a public forum so I am not a fan!

Thanks for the advise. I think I need to make a decision if it's worth putting up with the trolls because of the benefits of forum membership. My current thinking is that I probably give more including hard cash to this forum than I take from it.  Regarding MtB, to tell someone to "get a life" from the safety of his keyboard is a good example of how not to behave on a public forum so I am not a fan!

A troll is not somebody who merely disagrees with you. That is just lazy labelling. 

Just so you know.

3 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

A troll is not somebody who merely disagrees with you. That is just lazy labelling. 

Just so you know.

Agree completely. What is a troll is someone who would for example call someone "pathetic" rather than presenting a reasonable augment to the point under decision.

Agree completely. What is a troll is someone who would for example call someone "pathetic" rather than presenting a reasonable augment to the point under decision.

No not quite.

All the points I and others have raised are perfectly valid.

The fact you seem unable to satisfactorily address them is I'm afraid not my fault.

Once Again I didn't actually call you pathetic.

16 minutes ago, BrandyMark said:

Regarding MtB, to tell someone to "get a life" from the safety of his keyboard is a good example of how not to behave on a public forum so I am not a fan!

I think you are confusing me with someone else. I very much doubt I said that. It's not the sort of cliché I trot out.

In fact I try to avoid clichés like the plague. 

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, MtB said:

I think you are confusing me with someone else. I very much doubt I said that. It's not the sort of cliché I trot out.

It actually was 'get a grip' not 'get a life'.

mtb.JPG

2 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

No not quite.

All the points I and others have raised are perfectly valid.

The fact you seem unable to satisfactorily address them is I'm afraid not my fault.

Once Again I didn't actually call you pathetic.

Your remarks are there for all to see, I have addressed any valid points made and fully understand why they are not to your "satisfaction" .

8 minutes ago, MtB said:

My mistake on the wording but "get a life" or "get a grip" is just as derogatory in my book.

4 minutes ago, BrandyMark said:

Your remarks are there for all to see, I have addressed any valid points made and fully understand why they are not to your "satisfaction" .

Great.

LOL

2 hours ago, BrandyMark said:

You are correct, I have not called them. I am the customer!

Actually you are not. (At least not until you decide to sell a boat through them). The customer is the person who pays the broker's fee. And that is the vendor of the boat. You are just a prospective purchaser.

In the current market there are more prospective purchasers than there are boats for sale. The brokers have no need to actively hawk their stock around those on their mailing list, when they have more than enough buyers turning up on their doorstep, ready and willing and able to buy. If you want to get into that latter group then, as others have said, you have to make more effort to keep in touch than expecting them to call you, no matter how frustrating the effort involved or fruitless visits may be.

• Greenie 2