Boat Prices and Current Market

CanalRetentive

Featured Posts

20 minutes ago, BrandyMark said:

Just received an email from Rugby boat to tell me of a boat that had been "sold on arrival"!!, They do not seem to understand the reason people sign up to the mailing list is because they want to buy a boat! almost without exception all the boats they have emailed me about is not available for actual sale. Not sure what their motive is to continually to send out emails of sold boats to customers wanting to buy boats! never had this happen with ABC or ABNB mailings (maybe proves my suspicion mentioned above re. VIP buyers list). For me, all they have achieved is to alienate me as a potential customer for buying (or selling) a boat with them now or at anytime in the future.

Would it be the rather nice Colecraft shelled boat that arrived Saturday and sold the same day?

Edited by The Happy Nomad

2 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

Methinks you/we have to be realistic about and conpany's sales tactics.

Some pile the boats high and throw the keys at anyone passing.

Some make a bot more effort and describe the product in depth.

Some......

'One' has to realise that in a sellers market, that you - the buyer - has to be a bit more proactive to find a bargain or even good value.

I'm being shouted at from the catering section and must go now......

And from another thread on this Forum one broker  takes your deposit and then say you cannot have the boat .

10 minutes ago, BrandyMark said:

Yes, but only received the email at 18:07 today! 

As @matty40s explained they get people on site viewing other boats and they see a nice boat rock up, view it and stick an offer straight in.

They put videos up and send out emails to show they are still turning boats over.

If I was in the market for a boat I'd be tempted to book a cheap hotel and rock up to RBS each morning and sit in the car park.

As was said in the vid @Ray T  linked to above if you work all week and only get to view at a weekend you are currently at a disadvantage.

It often comes as a bit of a jolt to people who have been trained by the media to believe "the customer is king", to come into the world of canal boating and find this simply is not the case in in this world where 1950s commercial values widely persist. 

The 'customer' often needs the boatyard, broker, breakdown engineer etc a whole lot more than the boatyard, broker, breakdown engineer etc needs that particular customer, and this can be a hard lesson to learn for some. Might I suggest loudly complaining on here about Rugby Boats sending out emails too late is hardly a great way to encourage them to inform you earlier, in this sellers' market.  

27 minutes ago, Troyboy said:

And from another thread on this Forum one broker  takes your deposit and then say you cannot have the boat .

I dont think we got the whole story with that episode.

57 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

I dont think we got the whole story with that episode.

I'm sure we didn't . I've never purchased a boat via a broker so cannot speak from any personal experience but the stories suggest some and by no means all are not 100% honest. They must be making a fortune in the current crazy boating boom . I feel sorry for any newbies joining this Forum and asking for buying advice as they will be given advice as varied as 'turn up with a carrier bag of bank notes and wave it in front of a seller '  to 'make sure you have a survey and then negotiate the price down using the survey report' .  I think in the mystery thread there was a suggestion that maybe funds to complete the purchase weren't available , a fact disputed by the purchaser . The carrier bag of bank notes would certainly have eliminated that aspect.

2 hours ago, BrandyMark said:

Yes, but only received the email at 18:07 today! 

We went to look at a boat at RBS the other month, it turned not to be the boat for us. James asked us what we were looking for and we told him, he said sadly he had nothing else in like that but one had just come in of a similar length but different style and did we fancy a look.

The owner was in the process of unloading his possessions from the boat into his car, it hadn’t even been walked through by James at that point, but the owner was happy to walk us all through it and told us the price wanted.

It was just too traditional for us, my head was brushing the roof in the saloon and i had to stoop in the engine room, so we didn’t buy that one either.

I’d guess thats what happened with Tacara, except whoever was there bought it, that’s how quick they can go.

Edited by Hudds Lad
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, MtB said:

It often comes as a bit of a jolt to people who have been trained by the media to believe "the customer is king", to come into the world of canal boating and find this simply is not the case in in this world where 1950s commercial values widely persist. 

The 'customer' often needs the boatyard, broker, breakdown engineer etc a whole lot more than the boatyard, broker, breakdown engineer etc needs that particular customer, and this can be a hard lesson to learn for some. Might I suggest loudly complaining on here about Rugby Boats sending out emails too late is hardly a great way to encourage them to inform you earlier, in this sellers' market.  

Not what I would call "complaining loudly", I was making what I feel are reasonable points regarding the Rugby boats mailing list. With regards dealing with them, I don't think they have any interest in selling me a boat so I have lost nothing and when I place my current boat on the market, I will not be using Rugby boats so it is they who will have lost out on a possible brockage fee. Maybe if a few more "customers" pointed out bad service, then the boating world would treat it's paying customers with the respect they deserve.

• Greenie 1

51 minutes ago, BrandyMark said:

Not what I would call "complaining loudly", I was making what I feel are reasonable points regarding the Rugby boats mailing list. With regards dealing with them, I don't think they have any interest in selling me a boat so I have lost nothing and when I place my current boat on the market, I will not be using Rugby boats so it is they who will have lost out on a possible brockage fee. Maybe if a few more "customers" pointed out bad service, then the boating world would treat it's paying customers with the respect they deserve.

I think that is a good example of 'cutting your nose off to spite your face'.

You by your own acknowledgement have noted they sell boats PDQ. 

Why on earth wouldnt you let them broker your boat?

1 minute ago, The Happy Nomad said:

I think that is a good example of 'cutting your nose off to spite your face'.

You by your own acknowledgement have noted they sell boats PDQ. 

Why on earth wouldnt you let them broker your boat?

Very true but not sure I see that as a major problem, I've already mentioned two other brokers who operate what I would consider a more respectful attitude to their potential customers and there are many many more out there.

23 minutes ago, BrandyMark said:

......and there are many many more out there.

Lol ...Good luck with your sale and purchase. 

10 hours ago, BrandyMark said:

Have you actually talked to them, or just signed up to their mailing list? If they know that by selling you a boat they will also get the commission on selling your current boat they will take you more seriously than just a fender kicker.

Having been through the looking phase I must say that Rugby were the best in terms of presentation which includes their website. The boat was all opened up engine running (good or bad thing I realise!) lights on etc. 5 other brokers were visited and all hadn’t got the boat prepared for a viewing though some at least were attentive! 
I wouldn’t get in a lather about emails myself it’s IT for you! 
I think you just need to look daily at The duck plus several brokers sites/ social media pages to see what’s new as well as a phone call on occasion to see if something up your street is coming. 
Obviously some wise brokers have a list of prospective buyers for specific boats. We got to know a couple well, they seem generally good people. The canny ones remember too that a good sale means a potential further sale through them in the future. Not dealt with the broker that’s caused some postings here recently. 

12 hours ago, BrandyMark said:

Very true but not sure I see that as a major problem, I've already mentioned two other brokers who operate what I would consider a more respectful attitude to their potential customers and there are many many more out there.

ABNB have sold 12 boats in 2 weeks with only 5 new listings, 6 sales I believe came on and sold before they were listed. DId they inform you of those?

Seems to have increased £2,500 in the 24 hours since they listed it on their own website:

https://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/boat/jd-narrowboats-60-cruiser-stern-for-sale/678795

https://www.aqueductmarina.co.uk/second-hand-boats/boudica/

It only sold via the same broker around a year ago too.

Now joined by the infamous Whitefield too.

https://www.aqueductmarina.co.uk/second-hand-boats/whitefield/

Edited by northern

3 minutes ago, northern said:

Seems to have increased £2,500 in the 24 hours since they listed it on their own website:

https://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/boat/jd-narrowboats-60-cruiser-stern-for-sale/678795

https://www.aqueductmarina.co.uk/second-hand-boats/boudica/

It only sold via the same broker around a year ago too.

They probably do not realise how much having a composting toilet devalues the boat.

6 minutes ago, Tuscan said:

We sold via ABNB , very happy with the service. Brokers must be making a killing at the moment in fees.

They did have a very lean period from last March to June, and then again from Autumn to May, and still have to pay overheads, moorings and the like.

• Greenie 1

7 hours ago, matty40s said:

ABNB have sold 12 boats in 2 weeks with only 5 new listings, 6 sales I believe came on and sold before they were listed. DId they inform you of those?

Every email received from ABNB (and ABC) have offer me boats that are for sale, they have never sent me details of boats that had already been sold.  Can you not understand the real heartache of receiving details of a boat that ticks all your boxes, that you know you really want to look at and almost certain you will want to buy only to find out it was never really available for you to purchase. In my book, it's a horrible way to treat people. You seem to know about ABNB boat sales? I do not so cannot comment, I can only tell you of my actual experience.

22 minutes ago, BrandyMark said:

Every email received from ABNB (and ABC) have offer me boats that are for sale, they have never sent me details of boats that had already been sold.  Can you not understand the real heartache of receiving details of a boat that ticks all your boxes, that you know you really want to look at and almost certain you will want to buy only to find out it was never really available for you to purchase. In my book, it's a horrible way to treat people. You seem to know about ABNB boat sales? I do not so cannot comment, I can only tell you of my actual experience.

I know quite a few brokerages, and how they are operating at present, most had to downsize and make staff redundant during Covid, and the ridiculous recent sales has perhaps meant that customer service may not be quite as on the ball as previously from the best regarded. I dont believe ABNB are publishing the listings of the boats that arrive and are sold straight away, so you havnt been conscious of being disappointed by them. RBS have always listed boats as standard  regardless of whether they have sold on tying up on the wharf.

You really have to be visiting and viewing very regularly and if lucky on the day that new boats arrive...most people cant afford the time to do this, some can, or are just in the right place at the right time. 

46 minutes ago, BrandyMark said:

Can you not understand the real heartache of receiving details of a boat that ticks all your boxes, that you know you really want to look at and almost certain you will want to buy only to find out it was never really available for you to purchase. In my book, it's a horrible way to treat people. 

Honestly get a grip!

"First world problems", and all that...

• Greenie 2

55 minutes ago, BrandyMark said:

Such is life. 

It isn't just boats. People are going through the same with house, car, caravan and motorhome sales.

You need to make sure you get in there and are the first to know about any new item coming for sale and that involves putting in the leg work not sitting and complaining that life isn't fair.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, BrandyMark said:

Heartache?

Sorry but I think you are being a tad melodramatic.

Dissapointment, perhaps, but heartache?