Boat Prices and Current Market

CanalRetentive

Featured Posts

On 29/09/2021 at 09:37, Norm55 said:

Brokers....were do i start.....  

OK, there are some duff brokers out there. I would say, 'Apollo Duck sellers ... Where do I start?'

In our experience, 50-percent of AD sellers never responded to thoughtful enquiries. 80-percent of boats we spent good time and money visiting were wildly overpriced. I mean terrible 2x4 fitouts of 45-footers with 'extension chord' wiring sold by someone who 'doesn't believe in blacking' with a £45K asking price. We found this route quite time wasting.

Whereas a GOOD broker can separate the wheat from the chaff, and are not about to tolerate an overpriced boat hanging around their marina too long. And they usually DO know the market better than boat owners and sellers. Plus they can facilitate surveys, deposits, post-survey repairs and such.

5 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Wow, this one sold for £75k 2 years ago, now look at the price on Appolo duck!! It's a lovely boat, but not that lovely!!

Looks like he's nicked RBS photographs too!!

https://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/search.phtml?search=Barocha&exact=1&sr=1&q=1&x=0#result

It's been hanging around for that price for ages now.  Can't think why.

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

Wow, this one sold for £75k 2 years ago, now look at the price on Appolo duck!! It's a lovely boat, but not that lovely!!

Looks like he's nicked RBS photographs too!!

https://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/search.phtml?search=Barocha&exact=1&sr=1&q=1&x=0#result

Very nice but OMG that's big money!

He has used stills from RBS YouTube video, all of the shots taken except for the boat paperwork shot have been stolen from youtube, including the one of the bathroom with James holding his video camera in the mirror.

Advert...

20211019_215637.jpg

Screenshot from youtube..

20211019_215703.jpg

Edited by matty40s

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

He has used stills from RBS YouTube video, all of the shots taken except for the boat paperwork shot have been stolen from youtube, including the one of the bathroom with James holding his video camera in the mirror.

Advert...

20211019_215637.jpg

20211019_215703.jpg

It always amazes me the lack of effort people go to when advertising things.....Especially expensive narrowboats, then moan when they don't get any interest. Considering they can't be bothered spending 5 minutes taking new photos I bet they didn't write the lengthy description on Apollo Duck - that's probably lifted from the RB brochure they had from the purchase.   

2 hours ago, matty40s said:

Advert...

20211019_215637.jpg

20211019_215703.jpg

Perhaps that's the last time the boat looked that good. It might be full of clutter now and the vendor can't be bothered to clear it for sale (or maybe they liveaboard and it's too tricky). 

Probably is the last time it looked that good, but that makes the advert even worse.

A number of years ago I sold a car on Autotrader. It was in fairly good condition albeit it was a 10 year old car with the usual wear and tear you'd expect. I washed it and drove it to a nice spot in the countryside just before sunset and took my good camera with me. I took a series of photos which turned out stunning, almost like you'd see in a magazine.....it looked really good and the phone went crazy when the ad went live. But when people came to view they seemed a bit disappointed and the first few people to view didn't buy which I thought strange as I've sold a few cars in my time. Then I realised......there was a disconnect between the photos and reality, the car just didn't look as good in the flesh. It did sell eventually but I learnt my lesson. 

So this boat really needs to look like it does in these photos otherwise viewers will just be disappointed and will walk.....that's if they get any viewings at that price.  

3 hours ago, Ex Brummie said:

Obviously thinks the mooring has a value. In Oxford, he may have a point.

The boat HAS a mooring at present, no guarantee of transfer or ongoing rental is mentioned anywhere in the ad.

25 minutes ago, MrsM said:

Perhaps that's the last time the boat looked that good.

Indeed, I had only finished the back deck boards a week earlier, they looked fantastic then.

I'm not even sure that the photo of the paperwork hasnt been lifted from somewhere, the boat plan is wrong, along with the back deck layout.

42 minutes ago, matty40s said:

The boat HAS a mooring at present, no guarantee of transfer or ongoing rental is mentioned anywhere in the ad.

Indeed, I had only finished the back deck boards a week earlier, they looked fantastic then.

I'm not even sure that the photo of the paperwork hasnt been lifted from somewhere, the boat plan is wrong, along with the back deck layout.

Wow you did a super job! We need to replace our deck boards and I actually screenshot one of the pictures to show my o'h. I think there's a lot of truth in the 'reality not living up to images' issue. We had a similar situation to brook23 when we sold our last house - the estate agent video was incredible and as great as the house was it was a hard act to live up to. Many of the youngsters who post doctored, filtered images of themselves on social media must also experience this.

Hey, this is what professional photography and marketing is all about. A half-decent photographer can make ANYTHING look great. Think 'Suggested Serving' photos on ready meal packets. Or immaculately lit car photos with Monument Valley reflected in the bodywork. Or an extreme close-up of the edge of an iPhone. Yummm.

Yea, and passing a 10-year old boat off as looking like photos of it when new would be easy, but unethical. 

Another plug for brokers over AD listings?

There are still bargains to be had in the used market,  but they don't go anywhere near a broker in my experience. 

I recently moved a boat a friend had bought,  57' tug style,  back cabin,  engine room etc, built by one of - some say the best shell builder. It was a real pleasure to be on, the Epping was going,  the engine chugging and it swam like an oily fish. People were constantly congratulating me on my lovely boat,  I didn't tell most of them it wasn't mine.

Ok, it does need a full paint job, and a bit of tidying inside,  but the asking price was under 50k.   All word of mouth,  money transferred immediately,  no survey. 

• Greenie 1

Timing does help..I just bought a 2009  boat from Venetian Marina that had been discounted by £10,000.  A buyer had paid for a survey to discover that among other issues the hull had corroded along the entire length of the water line and of course the surveyor had advised extensive over plating so buyer walked away.

Seller must have been disheartened  about this and to get rid reduced the price by £10,000 to cover the "repair" costs 

I have had several boats over the years so have a good idea of what the real cost should be and as wife likes the layout, we made an offer to buy with out survey and bought the boat.  Time will tell if I made the right decision lol

But what the broker told me  afterwards which I found interesting is that in his 15 years of working as a broker he has never seen anything like this  - pre-pandemic the Marina would have 30 to 40 boats for sale and now if they are lucky they will have five.  They just cant keep up with the demand - there was even a 1995 NB listed for £40,000 that within a couple of days of listing was "under offer"  and in my opinion pre-pandemic that would have been a £25 to £30k boat.  Lets see if that will also be relisted after survey!

55 minutes ago, markjlo said:

Timing does help..I just bought a 2009  boat from Venetian Marina that had been discounted by £10,000.  A buyer had paid for a survey to discover that among other issues the hull had corroded along the entire length of the water line and of course the surveyor had advised extensive over plating so buyer walked away.

Did you need to tell me this!!!   My 2009 boat has its selling survey next Tuesday, at Venetian!  Sleepless nights ahead!

2 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

Did you need to tell me this!!!   My 2009 boat has its selling survey next Tuesday, at Venetian!  Sleepless nights ahead!

Venetian being the same company as  Whilton, be careful, very careful. Ensure your surveyor is not on their 'preferred list' and that you have chosen him, not had him suggested to you by Venetian or Whilton.

Is the boat owned by the broker, or is it a private boat where they are only acting as broker. Do your research carefully.

If they own the boat then they have to tell you of any failings and privide a guarantee, if itey are siply acting as a broker, they do not have to tell you any of the problems etc.

I was interested in a boat at Whilton and made an offer, they pretended to have a discussion with the 'owner' and refused the offer, I then found out that it was actually a 'company owned boat' which they were passing off as a privately owned boat, so as to avoid any come back if it failed the survey, not offering warranty etc etc.

A couple of Whilton sold boats heading for London, have been known to never arrive having sunk on the way.

Venetian used to be a very good marina (we were there for a while) but their integrity dissapeared when they were taken over by Whilton.