Boat Prices and Current Market

CanalRetentive

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Actually you are not. (At least not until you decide to sell a boat through them). The customer is the person who pays the broker's fee. And that is the vendor of the boat. You are just a prospective purchaser.

/\/\

Exactly this - I was going to point this out earlier but hung back as he seems not to like people pointing out he is wrong.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

2 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Actually you are not. (At least not until you decide to sell a boat through them). The customer is the person who pays the broker's fee. And that is the vendor of the boat. You are just a prospective purchaser.

In the current market there are more prospective purchasers than there are boats for sale. The brokers have no need to actively hawk their stock around those on their mailing list, when they have more than enough buyers turning up on their doorstep, ready and willing and able to buy. If you want to get into that latter group then, as others have said, you have to make more effort to keep in touch than expecting them to call you, no matter how frustrating the effort involved or fruitless visits may be.

OK, maybe I should have used the word "prospective" in front of "customer". Regarding my efforts to buy a boat, I can assure you that I have and I still am making considerable efforts in order to purchase a boat but thanks for your comments.

2 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

/\/\

Exactly this - I was going to point this out earlier but hung back as he seems not to like people pointing out he is wrong.

Still trying to start up another argument, what word describes that I wonder.

10 minutes ago, BrandyMark said:

Still trying to start up another argument, what word describes that I wonder.

Not at all.

Its perfectly true. You were disagreeing with just about everything people said if it didnt fit your narrative. So I didnt point that out too.

2 hours ago, BrandyMark said:

You are correct, I have not called them. I am the customer! RBS could have made a great deal of cash from my custom, clearly they are making enough in the current market so feel they do not have to respond to emails, up to them but I am not going to chase them with phone calls. I may loose out on a boat purchase but I am happy to take my custom to a more considerate broker.

This just proves my point exactly. If you are not willing to put in the leg work, then right now you will not be buying a boat!

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

This just proves my point exactly. If you are not willing to put in the leg work, then right now you will not be buying a boat!

I will not be putting any "leg work " with Rugby Boats, that does not mean that I do not do "leg work"!! 

7 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

I called into our local caravan dealers last week for the first time in ages for some toilet fluid.

The yard which is normally full of vans they have taken in part ex was virtually bare.  What was left was a handfull of mostly ropey looking 'vans.

One caught my eye because it was similar to our last 'van, a 2015 Challenger, so 4 years old. It was up at around only £2k or £3k less than it would have been new. It was the only half decent one they had in stock.

Our local dealers are all the same. Either no or very little useful used stock. You can buy a new van but they don't have any demonstrators to show you and delivery will be the back end of next year at higher prices.

I've had enough, the trolls have won.

Please forgive me for blowing my own trumpet but I think you should know a bit about me before I leave. I have owned boats for many years and have worked in the marine industry both on ships at sea and inland craft. I volunteer and give my time freely to several canal organisations  - yes I am one of those people who put the marques up/down, stand in the pouring rain for hours at canal festivals trying to get public support for canal restorations etc.

I think I have been a good contributor to this forum both in sharing both my engineering and general canal/boat knowledge and in hard cash! But this will be my last post. There appears to be a group on here who from the safety of their keyboards  think its ok to post insulting personal remarks against individuals (in this case me) if they do not agree with the views put forward in a posting. I know there are many members who are not trolls and I am sorry they will miss out on not just my input but other who have left for the same reason. My only regret is that in a way this means the trolls have won but while the likes of MtB, the naughty cal, the happy nomad populate this forum, then I no longer want to be part of it. Goodbye and good luck to all the genuine canal enthusiasts and the few remaining boat owners on this forum.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, BrandyMark said:

Please forgive me for blowing my own trumpet but I think you should know a bit about me before I leave. I have owned boats for many years and have worked in the marine industry both on ships at sea and inland craft. I volunteer and give my time freely to several canal organisations  - yes I am one of those people who put the marques up/down, stand in the pouring rain for hours at canal festivals trying to get public support for canal restorations etc.

I think I have been a good contributor to this forum both in sharing both my engineering and general canal/boat knowledge and in hard cash! But this will be my last post. There appears to be a group on here who from the safety of their keyboards  think its ok to post insulting personal remarks against individuals (in this case me) if they do not agree with the views put forward in a posting. I know there are many members who are not trolls and I am sorry they will miss out on not just my input but other who have left for the same reason. My only regret is that in a way this means the trolls have won but while the likes of MtB, the naughty cal, the happy nomad populate this forum, then I no longer want to be part of it. Goodbye and good luck to all the genuine canal enthusiasts and the few remaining boat owners on this forum.

Your choice.

But the hypocrisy in that post about not agreeing with people and subsequent name calling is quite interesting to say the least.

4 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

The RBS website currently shows 5 boats not under offer or sold.

Now they very well may not have had time to update the website but it would be worth ringing if any are of interest.

Includes this very nice example. Which if it isnt sold by Monday I will be extremely surprised.

https://rugbyboats.co.uk/listings/pilgrim-5710-trad-2003-barry-hawkins/

I know the previous owner of that boat. I thought they sold it some time ago.

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

than expecting them to call you, no matter how frustrating the effort involved or fruitless visits may be.

I haven't followed every bit of this, and have missed most of what has been said by those I ignore, but I think his major complaint was not that they dont call him, but that they send him an email of boat that is for sale when it is no longer for sale. Thus he gets his hopes up, only to be dashed when he calls to be told that it has been sold.

If, as a broker, most of your boats sell without being "marketed", you don't need to send emails, other than to attract more boat sellers. Thus sending emails of boats that are not, or most likely wont be, for sale for long, is actually quite annoying for the people who receive the emails.

I think there is room for those who accept this as "life in the current market", as well as those who get irritated/upset/annoyed by it.

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

I haven't followed every bit of this, and have missed most of what has been said by those I ignore, but I think his major complaint was not that they dont call him, but that they send him an email of boat that is for sale when it is no longer for sale. Thus he gets his hopes up, only to be dashed when he calls to be told that it has been sold.

If, as a broker, most of your boats sell without being "marketed", you don't need to send emails, other than to attract more boat sellers. Thus sending emails of boats that are not, or most likely wont be, for sale for long, is actually quite annoying for the people who receive the emails.

I think there is room for those who accept this as "life in the current market", as well as those who get irritated/upset/annoyed by it.

Getting irritated/upset/annoyed about the situation doesn't change it though.

9 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

The problem with having people on ignore is you dont see the entire picture. And go off half cock.

43 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I know the previous owner of that boat. I thought they sold it some time ago.

The video for it was uploaded to youtube on 11th August, suggesting if it sold back then and it perhaps has come back onto the market?? 

The videos for the other four seem to have been uploaded much more recently ie within the last couple of weeks or so.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

Buying and selling any product goes through different stages depending on the current state of supply and demand. When brokers, or agents of any sort get involved, then this can bring out the best or worst in people. If you are a person of principle and the service you receive is not what you expect, then you will feel aggrieved especially if you have spent valuable time and money travelling distances to no avail.

Brokers and agents are probably some of the worst people you can deal with whether it is boats, cars, houses or financial services (especially those) At the moment where there are more prospective buyers than boats, then the slapdash attitude of brokers to prospective customers is understandable. It matters not to them whether they sell to you or another, they still get their commission. They can currently be picky about what they take on so they can maintain an air of exclusivity to attract sellers. The wheel will inexorably turn and they will then have to charm prospective customers, drop commission rates for sellers and take on any craft that is for sale.

At least you seem to have found a boat that you can live with/adapt/modify to suit your needs. I just hope that you are able to continue to accept these limitations and enjoy your boat. Just a word of advice, if I may, when you entrust your boat to a boatyard for any work, just be prepared to encounter similar attitudes regarding what you want as to what you get, when you get it as opposed to when it is promised, and what you pay compared to what you were quoted.

• Greenie 3

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

Getting irritated/upset/annoyed about the situation doesn't change it though.

Not quite sure how that is relevant? I don't disagree but, are you suggesting that nobody should ever get irritated/upset/annoyed about anything?

2 hours ago, 0000 said:

Wow, you really are full of yourself, aren't you!

You appear to know as little about me as I know about you, other than how self-absorbed and thin-skinned you seem to be at the moment. I've held off commenting but as you keep on having a go at me on here, I decided it was fair game for me to have a go back.

Bye.

Edited by MtB
Add the last bit.

4 minutes ago, MtB said:

Wow, you really are full of yourself, aren't you!

You appear to know as little about me as I know about you, other how self-absorbed and thin-skinned you seem at the moment. 

Says the man who's only recently returned after throwing his teddy out of the pram.

22 minutes ago, Ex Brummie said:

Life's too short to trawl through lots of previous posts, but was the subject of conversation in the Pub (?) earlier this year. I can't recall exactly when you reappeared but it's not too long ago.

I knew it would be. That's because there is no such post.

Care to apologise?

I doubt it. 

1 minute ago, Ex Brummie said:

You doubt right. Your comments on reappearing as I recall , carried thatinference.

Something along the lines of 'ive learned how to make the forum work for me' or similar ISTR.