TomTom 4EN42 Z1230

Stilllearning

Featured Posts

Sort of boat equipment related: our old but otherwise reliable gps has decided that the battery will no longer take a charge. On the one hand this doesn’t matter, as the thing still works, it just has to be on charge all the time but on the other hand, if this overworks the charger, then the whole thing is a throw away item.

Has anyone changed the battery on one of these, and how easy is it?

It is likely to be a standard rechargeable battery if you can get inside it.  Many gadgets are cased in a plastic two piece box glued together, getting it apart is the major challenge.

Depending on age it will either be a Nickle Cadmium or later Nickle Metal Hydride battery.  If its quite recent even a lithium cell.

I’ve changed one on my Go Live 550, it’s just a matter of popping the bezel off with a spudger and loosing a few screws.

Google your model and the word “teardown”, will usually yield a youtube video showing you how to split the case.

eBay for a replacement battery from the same model.

2 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

I’ve changed one on my Go Live 550, it’s just a matter of popping the bezel off with a spudger and loosing a few screws.

Google your model and the word “teardown”, will usually yield a youtube video showing you how to split the case.

eBay for a replacement battery from the same model.

Thanks, I hadn’t tried teardown yet, but not had a video of our model come up yet either.

1 minute ago, Stilllearning said:

Thanks, I hadn’t tried teardown yet, but not had a video of our model come up yet either.

Search for the name it was sold as or parts of, i find more with TomTom Go Live than i do with Go Live 550 or 4CP0.002.02 which is the model no., and there are usually a few higher or lower spec variants in the same case

7 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

Search for the name it was sold as or parts of, i find more with TomTom Go Live than i do with Go Live 550 or 4CP0.002.02 which is the model no., and there are usually a few higher or lower spec variants in the same case

Yeah, I don’t want to pop open the case before I’m certain that it is just a case of clips, no hidden fixings.