Ready mixed antifreeze/coolant

blackrose

Featured Posts

I'm about to fill my C/H system with Mannol G12+ ready mixed red antifreeze/coolant but the Webasto installation manual states to use no more than a 25% concentration of ethylene glycol.

I can't find anything in the technical data sheet which tells me what the mix ratio of this ready mixed antifreeze is. As usual the idiots who write the TDS have forgotten to include one of the most important bits of information for the user. Or perhaps I'm the idiot but I can't see it anywhere?

https://www.mannol.de/products/operating-and-service-fluids/antifreeze-and-coolants/mannol-coolant-g12

file:///C:/Users/44786/Downloads/MANNOL Coolant G12+ (1).pdf

Should I assume it's a 50/50 mix and water it down by 50%?

Does the TDS give you the slush temperature and/or the freezing temperature?

If so there are tables which will tell you what the proportion of antifreeze is, based on ethylene glycol or Poly ethylene glycol. MEG or PEG.

N

8 minutes ago, BEngo said:

Does the TDS give you the slush temperature and/or the freezing temperature?

If so there are tables which will tell you what the proportion of antifreeze is, based on ethylene glycol or Poly ethylene glycol. MEG or PEG.

N

I don't think so. This is all I've got:

file:///C:/Users/44786/Downloads/MANNOL Coolant G12+ (2).pdf

Edit: The Safety Data Sheet give a bit more composition information:

https://sct-online.sct-germany.de/SCTApprovalControl/module/msdsImport/msds_upload_tmp/MN4212_EN.pdf

Edited by blackrose

The 25% antifreeze mix is almost certainly to do with water being capable of carrying more heat (not temperature) than antifreeze. In vehicles, the maximum normally stated is 50% with 30 to 33% being perhaps more typical.

You could buy an antifreeze hydrometer that is suitable for the particular type of base antifreeze. My feeling is a 50% strength will be OK but if the rads are undersized it may cause the boiler to cut out on overheat. 50% was fine in my Alde.

I don't understand how thoroughly mixed antifreeze above 25% can prevent radiators getting hot. I can understand it if it is not mixed properly because hot antifreeze is denser than cold water so won't rise up the rad. If its properly mixed the hot  mixture must have a lower density than cold mixture.

Edited by Tony Brooks

47 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I don't understand how thoroughly mixed antifreeze above 25% can prevent radiators getting hot. I can understand it if it is not mixed properly because hot antifreeze is denser than cold water so won't rise up the rad. If its properly mixed the hot  mixture must have a lower density than cold mixture.

I don't understand it either, I'm just going by what Webasto recommend and previous threads on this forum. 

Cuthound certainly found that reducing the antifreeze concentration to 25% allowed the tops of his radiators to get hot, whereas at 50% they didn't.

1 hour ago, blackrose said:

I don't understand it either, I'm just going by what Webasto recommend and previous threads on this forum. 

Cuthound certainly found that reducing the antifreeze concentration to 25% allowed the tops of his radiators to get hot, whereas at 50% they didn't.

I had a similar experience to cut hound but in reverse. I previously used a concentration of 25% and the radiators got really hot. Before last winter I changed the antifreeze and increased the concentration to 50% but now the radiators don't get get as hot.