C&RT's most useless signs and money wasted

Midnight

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The BW proposal was that CCers should pay a 2.5x multiplier on the standard licence fee.

That was an IWA proposal foisted off on BW.  And it boils down to "We don't want to share our train set with the peasants."

Aickman rather than Rolt arguments won the debate inside the IWA, and that's why they are becoming more irrelevant by the day.  

Do I have more interest in arts festivals by the water than I have in boats and boaters?  No, I don't.  Without the newer generations (like me!) onboard, the IWA are going to fade away.

I fully appreciate what they did in the past, but they deliberately stopped doing it twenty years ago.  I can't quite bring myself to support the NBTA but they are far more representative of many boater's needs than the current IWA are.

44 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

I fully appreciate what they did in the past, but they deliberately stopped doing it twenty years ago.  I can't quite bring myself to support the NBTA but they are far more representative of many boater's needs than the current IWA are.

That's a pretty low bar for them to clear. 

What are the RBOA up to these days? I cancelled my membership back in 1981. 

• Greenie 1

On 14/10/2021 at 09:48, Mike Todd said:

But a significant proportion of locks do not have 4 balance beams. Are you guilty of narrow beam prejudice?

I think 3 signs per balance beam would be needed. One on each side and one on the tip so that the person lying on it can read it. 🤣

21 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Please can I have an E Type in showroom condition complete with insurance, I can afford the road tax myself

Only the one?

I regularly have E Types and other Jags on my drive.

The only problem is that they are not mine. My neighbour works for a company that restores them.

20190212_110958_compress62.jpg

20190212_110835_compress56.jpg

20210729_143304.jpg

Edited by cuthound
Spillung

6 minutes ago, roggie said:

FCUK me, given they don't have a "Brand Project Coordinator - Signage" right now, WTF will our canals be like when they get one!!!!

On 16/10/2021 at 17:11, ditchcrawler said:

Please can I have an E Type in showroom condition complete with insurance, I can afford the road tax myself

I bet you can, as it's free to tax anything built before 1981!!!!!

• Horror 1

17 hours ago, MtB said:

FCUK me, given they don't have a "Brand Project Coordinator - Signage" right now, WTF will our canals be like when they get one!!!!

Graduate, six months only, £26K, available now (ie unemployed) and in London. What do they expect to get? 

If I wasn't morally opposed to the blue signs, it actually sounds like a job I'd love. A large portion of your time on the waterways, spending time on the towpath, traveling to remote areas... Sounds pretty much like what I'm doing anyway!

Anyways, as frustrating, wasteful and inefficient as it is, I feel like we have to just accept this as a consequence of our waterways being funded by taxpayers and donations.

I hate the blue signs, especially as lock name signs on listed locks, but we have to remember that these signs are aimed at the general public rather than boaters. CRT are making a good job of this, they even leave a special blank area for the benefit of the local taggers.

Blue Lock Sign.jpg