C&RT's most useless signs and money wasted

Midnight

Featured Posts

I saw a blue sign on the Mac today saying "Weir Ahead", and a bit further on there was an overflow weir, the sort you see all over the system. I appreciate that on some river sections there are some weirs that can be evil (K&A below Kintbury) in bad conditions, but I have never had any problems on a canal.

I was so distracted looking at the weir I would likely have crashed into any paddleboarders and killed them 😀

34 minutes ago, dmr said:

I saw a blue sign on the Mac today saying "Weir Ahead", and a bit further on there was an overflow weir, the sort you see all over the system. I appreciate that on some river sections there are some weirs that can be evil (K&A below Kintbury) in bad conditions, but I have never had any problems on a canal.

I was so distracted looking at the weir I would likely have crashed into any paddleboarders and killed them 😀

Did you see the red one telling you its deep water and not to climb over the handrail

2 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Did you see the red one telling you its deep water and not to climb over the handrail

I think the weir itself was totally unfenced and unprotected and had no signage of any sort.

10 hours ago, MtB said:

Shhhhhhh.....!!! 

Don't give them ideas for yet more signage.

They already have them, where the weirs or overflow sluices are fenced they are getting "do not climb the fence" signs. These are red which is a pleasant change from the dreaded blue.

I wonder if boaters should carry signs that we erect on the towpath (on long mooring pins or whatever). A red "Caution, Moored Boat" or a blue "Welcome to the moored boat" ?

2 minutes ago, dmr said:

They already have them, where the weirs or overflow sluices are fenced they are getting "do not climb the fence" signs. These are red which is a pleasant change from the dreaded blue.

I wonder if boaters should carry signs that we erect on the towpath (on long mooring pins or whatever). A red "Caution, Moored Boat" or a blue "Welcome to the moored boat" ?

We could join in and put up some of our own signs, saying perhaps:

"Private sign - do not read"

• Haha 3

Going up the Bratch yesterday I got something on my prop while hovering below the bottom lock.

Managed to get up but could not then remove the offending item because it included a steel strip.

RCR got it off this morning (thanks Jake) and it turned out to be a CaRT banner. The locky said he wasn't missing one.

4 hours ago, dmr said:

Youi may break your neck falling down but you would be very hard pushed to swim in it

smallDSCF5787.jpg

DSCF5787 (2).JPG

Edited by ditchcrawler

I saw a novel red one today but did not have time to get a picture  "Danger, Giant Hogweed". This was at a winding hole on the offside where there was no pedestrian access. I also wonder if it would have been better just to remove the hogweed?

1 hour ago, dmr said:

I saw a novel red one today but did not have time to get a picture  "Danger, Giant Hogweed". This was at a winding hole on the offside where there was no pedestrian access. I also wonder if it would have been better just to remove the hogweed?

Was that on the Upper Peak Forest?

1 hour ago, dmr said:

I bet someone reported it and included a "what about the children ", plus a "health and safety nightmare " and a  "something must be done" in the report with a side note of "I will contact the local MP/councillor/local paper"

The sign is the result  :)

1 minute ago, Victor Vectis said:

Gawd!

That's going back a bit, innit?

Turn and run!
Nothing can stop them
Around every river and canal their power is growing
Stamp them out!
We must destroy them
They infiltrate each city with their thick dark warning odour
They are invincible
They seem immune to all our herbicidal battering
  • Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, monkeyhanger said:

How about this one? I've seen a few of these around the system.post-7030-0-19390200-1469276030_thumb.jpg

Yes, I remember those "murky green" signs, a previous failed CRT corporate image, you still see a few about.

It was quite good as they were all frivolous so I soon learned to totally ignore them. A problem with the blue signs is that although most are frivolous a few contain possibly useful info so one has to at least glance at them. 😀

Fradley Junction.  Instructions on how to operate a swing bridge.......1 Open bridge.  2 Take boat through.   3 Close bridge.  Glad they told me that otherwise I'd have been stuck.

Image preview

And another waste of space at Fradley junction. Meanwhile, the tap next to the sign was leaking badly.

Image preview

I too have a picture of that classic bridge operation sign but have not got round to posting it.

At least its black but I expect it will soon be blue.

Its not quite correct as the bridge cannot be closed "securely" as there is no lock or means of securing it. (oh no, i'm turning into a pedant)

2 hours ago, dmr said:

I too have a picture of that classic bridge operation sign but have not got round to posting it.

At least its black but I expect it will soon be blue.

Its not quite correct as the bridge cannot be closed "securely" as there is no lock or means of securing it. (oh no, i'm turning into a pedant)

But they planned to fit one, the sign got done but the locking mechanism didn't thankfully

3 hours ago, monkeyhanger said:

How about this one? I've seen a few of these around the system.post-7030-0-19390200-1469276030_thumb.jpg

Would you prefer a sign which said something along the lines of.

You are entering a wildlife rich area please e as quiet as possible keep dogs on a lead and make no sudden movements or try to give a gentle hint with a touch of amusement as above?

8 minutes ago, MrsM said:

Some of these ideas are so good you should think about applying for this: 

https://careers-canalrivertrust.icims.com/jobs/6637/brand-project-coordinator-(signage)---wales-%26-south-west/job

Lol so I was right when I suggested upthread that there was a specific rôle at CRT for putting up a forest of signs all over the system! 

Job description from your link:

"Coordinating a range of signage and branding projects including replacement of signs across designated region."

• Happy 1