C&RT's most useless signs and money wasted

Midnight

Featured Posts

This is the ultimate pith take by Parry & Co. Boaters don't need a sign to spot a winding hole, fishermen, walker, joggers and that oh so important user group cyclists don't give a toss. How much did this cost considering design, printing, manufacture, erection and materials. Meanwhile nearby Llangollen locks have broken paddles with yellow bags or tape covering them. (I suspect the bags cost more than the repairs would). Anymore useless wastes of money (apart from Mr Parry) please post.

winding-hole.jpg

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

I wondered whether somebody had bequeathed money for the creation of that winding hole and therefore it was named and a sign erected.

If you read the words at the bottom it says in partnership with the IWA. No wonder that group are losing support. 

• Greenie 2

30 minutes ago, MtB said:

Let's at least give them credit for not calling it a "Turning Point".

or even a "turning place for boats", not sure of exact wording but at the Devizes winding hole.

I have also noticed a few "winding hole ahead" signs in addition to the actual winding hole signs. It is clear that CRT want to erect signs and are just looking for any excuse to do so. Maybe the forum could help and have a little competition to invent new signs.........

"Beware of the Blue Signs"

"Take Care Shallow Canal Ahead"

"Do Not obstruct the Cyclists"

"Rubbish Bins Full, Please do Not Use"

• Greenie 4

PLEASE don't FORGET that  CRT still gets a government grant - presumably to make the canals and towpaths  used by folks other than boaters and mebe the signs are part of that 'making the canals inclusive' bit. 

The signs migh also help in reporting an incident / whatever to the Polis / whatever...

No apologies for trying to be reasonable....

• Greenie 4

20 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

The number of boats I've seen moored opposite winding holes recently indicate that the signs are in fact needed these days. I spent an entire afternoon (feeling guilitily like a jobsworth) a few years ago pointing out to both hire and private boats that they were mooring in the one at Rode Heath before giving up and sticking a notice on the towpath fence to point it out. I was greatly relieved next time I went to see CRT had both put a sign up and taken the relevant rings out. Mind you, people still try and moor there. Same on the lower Macc.  Sometimes, signs do perform a useful purpose, especially when the cut is filling up with ignorant people.

I agree with standard stock signs on the towpath saying 'No Mooring Winding Hole' but this one is a custom expensive job.

17 minutes ago, Tim Lewis said:

Er, how does financing a winding hole lose an organisation support?

By condoning such a waste of valuable resources when locks nearby have only one working paddle. Didn't that lot once fight British Waterways over navigation now what do they do?

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, OldGoat said:

PLEASE don't FORGET that  CRT still gets a government grant - presumably to make the canals and towpaths  used by folks other than boaters and mebe the signs are part of that 'making the canals inclusive' bit. 

The signs migh also help in reporting an incident / whatever to the Polis / whatever...

No apologies for trying to be reasonable....

This is the crux of the matter, the grant from government is effectively the taxpayers paying a contribution to the canal, and therefore the taxpayers can expect their needs to be catered for, not just boating needs. CRT need the the grant to be maintained, and will have to show they are providing a service to all, not just a narrow group to get it.

• Greenie 3

18 minutes ago, Phil. said:

This is the crux of the matter, the grant from government is effectively the taxpayers paying a contribution to the canal, and therefore the taxpayers can expect their needs to be catered for, not just boating needs. CRT need the the grant to be maintained, and will have to show they are providing a service to all, not just a narrow group to get it.

I agree. The dog walkers, cyclists and anglers most definitely need signs to know when they are a approaching a winding 'ole. How else would they know where to turn around? 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, MtB said:

I agree. The dog walkers, cyclists and anglers most definitely need signs to know when they are a approaching a winding 'ole. How else would they know where to turn around? 

Of course the topic was about the wider use of signage. But when presenting a case to government for more money, the finer point you raise is not even considered.

1 hour ago, Arthur Marshall said:

The number of boats I've seen moored opposite winding holes recently indicate that the signs are in fact needed these days. I spent an entire afternoon (feeling guilitily like a jobsworth) a few years ago pointing out to both hire and private boats that they were mooring in the one at Rode Heath before giving up and sticking a notice on the towpath fence to point it out. I was greatly relieved next time I went to see CRT had both put a sign up and taken the relevant rings out. Mind you, people still try and moor there. Same on the lower Macc.  Sometimes, signs do perform a useful purpose, especially when the cut is filling up with ignorant people.

gently put your bow snubber into the side of the offending moored boat, give it full left lock and full throttle.

when/if they complain you have an opportunity to edumicaite the ignorant.

1 hour ago, Arthur Marshall said:

We moored half across that one last week as by the time we got to Rode Heath it was late so choice was winding hole or lock landing and I thought someone wanting to wind early was less likely than someone using the lock.

On my first canal holiday in 1976, we found the winding hole at Fenny Compton occupied by two British Waterways work boats, with their moorings secured by chains. As it was our mid-week turnround point, we had to wind by sticking the bows into the entrance of the nearby marina, ignoring their "no winding" signs.

Perhaps the sign might have a point if the winding hole was near a bend or bridge, to provide  a warning that you might find a boat broadside on.  This happened to us later in the week, where we were rammed broadside on by a British Waterways camping boat and butty that came through a nearby bridge with a breaking bow wave just as we were at the 90° point. 

Edited by Ronaldo47
Ramming comment added
  • Horror 1

1 minute ago, Ronaldo47 said:

On my first canal holiday in 1976, we found the winding hoke at Fenny Compton occupied by two British Waterways work boats, with their moorings secured by chains. As it was our mid-week turnround point, we had to wind by sticking the bows into the entrance of the nearby marina, ignoring their "no winding" signs.

Terrible, you can get an attack of the cromptons in your fennies for doing that!

There is always a boat moored in the winding there, I believe it is his mooring.

• Greenie 1

18 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

We moored half across that one last week as by the time we got to Rode Heath it was late so choice was winding hole or lock landing and I thought someone wanting to wind early was less likely than someone using the lock.

There do seem usually to be a lot of unattended boats resting there for weeks on end, which is a shame because it's a nice place to stop. At least they did extend the rings a few years back, but it always surprises me that it isn't a designated 48 hour or 5 day mooring. Not many of those untimed ones left in places like that.

We’re getting all new signs in this area SSYN, they say exactly the same as the old ones they’re replacing, the only difference is the new round CaRT logo has replaced the old CaRT log on them. I wonder how much the branding change of logo’s has cost? Not just paying the Graphic design company but the replacement of every sign on the system.

Why couldn’t they just get some new logo vinyl stickers and place them over the old logo? Total waste of money when the navigation is declining.

• Greenie 1